DSRL Equipment

OK, first off I posted this in the newbie section for a reason: I'm just about as green as they come.
I've had an idea for a web series for a while and I've asked a few people what kind of camera I should use and they've mentioned a DSLR since it'll provide sufficient HD quality especially if it's going to be streamed on the internet (so they say). I'm in a community college that allows us to borrow some of the gear, I only signed up for a class for this purpose, I have no interest in pursuing a film degree. They have pretty great lights and everything else except when it comes to a camera, I'd prefer to have my own that I can rely on and borrow gear from production companies when school is out for the holidays.

Back to the point, I was wondering if you guys could recommend a decent DSLR for around $750-900 w/ the lens included. Keep in mind this is for a beginner. I don't know why but when I've researched on my own I keep coming back to the Canon EOS Rebel T3i
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-T3i-Digital-Imaging-18-55mm/dp/B004J3V90Y

What I want to accomplish is getting HD quality that won't have viewers ALT + F4ing at the sight of the video quality.

Also, a tip on audio devices to sync w/ the DSLR video would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the help :).

I have just bought a t3i because of what i need and my budget. But sony has just released a serise cameras......

Sony A390 Digital SLR Camera for $499.00 with a lens. If you dont want to pursue videography further than a youtube serise this might be your camera. It is limited tho. You can not control apature or iso ( lack of manual control) while in video mode but you can while taking stills..it gives you the freedom to change you lenses as you need them though.......good quality and good ratings. (im not sure if this is part of the new a serise or not but its still a good camera)

The sony new "a serise ??" a55 DSLR has the Translucent Mirror tech i really like but it is still limited. You cannot controll apature or iso ( lack of manual control) during video recording is a huge drawback...i hope sony changes this later in the lines devlopement...tBut again the while taking still pics you have full controll. his camers is a little better than the above one...price $599.00 with lens.

As for sound...you'r going need a SSD (solid state recorder ) and a good shotgun mike to hook up to it, tho the mic you need depends what your youtube serise is going to be.

One thing to note, dslr's have an issue of overheating. Its common so again it depends no what you are shooting. There are limits on how long you can shoot witha dslr esp in video mode.

Last edited:
This just goes to show how green I truly am, I had not put overheating into consideration.
After reading a few other forums on here and elsewhere I read that a great deal of people had overheating issues with Sony (A55) and Canon's. They stated that the Canon's overheated after approximately 12 minutes of shooting. I also read that the Panasonic GH2 was a much better option for a DSLR that could allow for hours of shooting video and not have to worry about overheating, even in extreme conditions. The prices I found for a Panasonic GH2 w/ a lens included was around $1,500, which is out of my budget.

Are there any other DSLRs that you may recommend within the price range of ($750-900) that would permit hours of video shooting and not having to worry about overheating?
I live in Houston where it is extremely humid and hot 8 months out of the year.

To elaborate on what I intend on shooting is essentially a half hour episode (22 minutes) to be aired on my website. Ideally it'd be streamed and available for downloading, and in HD.

Again, thanks for the help :)

I shoot for hours at a time with a Canon DSLR and rarely experience overheating. To specify, I don't do long takes often, but still. Unless you're in extreme heat or recording for an hour straight (stopping every 12 minutes and restarting right away, can't get around the 12 minute clip length) then you probably won't experience much overheating.

If you're shooting a narrative, your clips will probably be between 30 seconds and 3 minutes each. Then you do another take or another angle or move to the next scene. DSLR's are great for that.

Don't forget about audio.Like Psychosis said you'll need an external recorder and mic for any DSLR. Entry level recorders are around $300, mics are all over the place from $225-1000's and then a boom pole, shock mount etc...

Try not to get the kit lens with any camera. If you're looking to save money you can go the adapter/vintage lens route or buy a basic fast prime. A prime lens isn't as versatile focal length wise, but you can shoot in much less-lit locations which can speed up production and save money.

Cheapest entry DSLR you can do is a t2i used ($450-550), then about $50-100 for a couple vintage primes, $300 recorder, $200 mic and that puts you at $1000. Make your own shockmount and boom pole.

Or rent everything. 20 minutes of video, figure about 5 days on set? You can rent all the above (actually better) for about $350ish if you rent online and shop around.

yeup i agree with paul..reason i mentioned overheating is because i didnt know what you were shooting...like weddings and stuff like that where your length does matter..but you can keep overheating issues from happining if you shoot in clips...trust me 3 minuts of film is a loooong time! esp if you are going to edit....
I bought 3 vintage lenses for a total of about $60 and they are really high quality. But do you research on what adaptor mount you will need, it depends on what camera you get and vintage lense (just do some research on vintage lenses). And be careful on what and from whom you buy/bid on...
As for the SSR i am looking into this
Tascam DR-40 4ch. Recording Package $$199.00 it has the xlr connections that you will need for a good quality sound ..i am looking at this mic
Audio-Technica AT875R Short Shotgun Microphone $179.65
both at amazon for that price.

and dont worry being a noob..i was in the exact same position about 2 months ago when i signed up on this forum.........it says alot on the people here and how well you can pick things up quickly.

Last edited:
I also read that the Panasonic GH2 was a much better option for a DSLR that could allow for hours of shooting video and not have to worry about overheating, even in extreme conditions. The prices I found for a Panasonic GH2 w/ a lens included was around $1,500, which is out of my budget.

You can pick up a GH2 without a lens for less than $800. With the 14-42mm kit lens it goes for $999.

I shoot for hours at a time with a Canon DSLR and rarely experience overheating. To specify, I don't do long takes often, but still. Unless you're in extreme heat or recording for an hour straight (stopping every 12 minutes and restarting right away, can't get around the 12 minute clip length) then you probably won't experience much overheating.

If you're shooting a narrative, your clips will probably be between 30 seconds and 3 minutes each. Then you do another take or another angle or move to the next scene. DSLR's are great for that.

Don't forget about audio.Like Psychosis said you'll need an external recorder and mic for any DSLR. Entry level recorders are around $300, mics are all over the place from $225-1000's and then a boom pole, shock mount etc...

Try not to get the kit lens with any camera. If you're looking to save money you can go the adapter/vintage lens route or buy a basic fast prime. A prime lens isn't as versatile focal length wise, but you can shoot in much less-lit locations which can speed up production and save money.

Cheapest entry DSLR you can do is a t2i used ($450-550), then about $50-100 for a couple vintage primes, $300 recorder, $200 mic and that puts you at $1000. Make your own shockmount and boom pole.

Or rent everything. 20 minutes of video, figure about 5 days on set? You can rent all the above (actually better) for about $350ish if you rent online and shop around.

I agree with the Canon T2i purchase and I also own one. They are cheaper used now that the T3i is out. The only major difference between the T2i and T3i is the T3i has a movable flip screen and slightly better specs. I actually would prefer the T2i because the screen doesn't flip which makes mounting viewfinders easier. I haven't seen any viewfinders that mount to the T3i.

Keep in mind that shooting with a DSLR is a royal pain in the ass. The only reason to choose that over a dedicated video camera is that you can get video quality rivaling that of of a $10,000-$15,000 camera, but only if you're using higher-end lenses which are not cheap.

I do still photography so using my DSLR for video was the natural choice, but I already have several very expensive lenses (about the best you can get before you hit the $7000 cinema lenses), a full-frame 5D MkII, and the willingness to learn how to use the Magic Lantern firmware, synching of separately-recorded sound, dealing with dead pixels and grain removal, rolling shutter issues, and the myriad of other problems you run into when you use something intended for stills as a movie camera.

Why is it a pain in the ass?
I haven't acquired all my equipment yet but from what I've seen people do in 48 hour film competitions they seem fairly practical.

I ended up getting the 18-55mm lens which I think should be just fine. I haven't thrown any footage on to Premiere yet (as I still don't have all my equipment) but I still think it'd be perfectly viewable in 720p. Most, if not all this content will be either streamed via the internet or d/l'd in a torrent.

My web series is essentially a sitcom that predominately takes place in two locations. So moving around really isn't an issue.

If you've ever used a real video camera before, you're going to find out very soon that unless you have several thousand dollars worth of extra rig equipment, a DSLR is... cranky to work with as a primary video camera.

Good luck.

If you've ever used a real video camera before, you're going to find out very soon that unless you have several thousand dollars worth of extra rig equipment, a DSLR is... cranky to work with as a primary video camera.

Good luck.

I've been with the DSLR's for a while now, and I haven't founds this to be true. You can get vintage lenses for near nothing, shoulder rigs for $25, ND filters aren't too expensive either. If a guy thinks he needs Zacuto brand or RED Rock, then yes, you'll spend.
DSLR's are also tiny, at least compared to the vid cameras I used to use, and hence extremely portable and convenient and don't require $1500 battery systems either. so here's the contrary opinion. YMMV.

I think the biggest thing "form factor" wise is really needing some type of external monitor as well as external sound. I personally couldn't live without my follow focus, but it's not absolutely required.

I do have as much or more in my supporting rig as I have in my 5D and that's not going gear crazy, I don't even have a shoulder rig. Camera body was $2500, I have maybe $700 in lenses, $400 in the base plate and rails, $600 in the tripod, $500 in the follow focus, and $1000 in the monitor. Now none of that (except lenses) is MUST have for basic shooting, but IMO to do anything semi serious there isn't a bit of that gear I could do without.

2 months later...

So as of right now I have I have the T2i along w/ the Tascam DR - 100. Next on my list is a boom, tripod (rig?), and an external monitor(?). The rig was in question mark b/c I'm leaning towards a tripod, I'll be shooting w/ the prime lens on the T2i and my script is essentially 110% driven by dialogue so no need for a rig. How does an external monitor on a DSLR workout? I've looked at the B&H catalog and it had a few external monitors that go up to 7 inches, the on screen display of the T2i is 3.5 (i think).. I was hoping for something a little larger... So any suggestions on what

Boom:

Tripod:

External Monitor:

Thanks in advance for the help.

-Baller on a budget.

I've had bad luck with external monitors with the 5D MkII due to how it outputs its video stream, but you might have better luck on the T2i. Definitely try them out before buying.

Back