• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

DSLR + Adobe Workflow????

Hey guys I'm in desparate need of your help.

I really want to start editing a movie I filmed on my canon rebel t3i at 24 frames per second 1080p full hd. Anyway, its in .mov format and I want to uncompress it and edit it in premiere pro cs5.

what programs can I use and what should I uncompress it as so i do not lose quality?

thanks for fast replies!!

I thought Adobe cs5 could handle DSLR footage natively?

I still use cs4, and just use the included Media Encoder to convert the footage into 1080-sized mpeg files. I'll get around to buying NeoScene one day. :lol:

I thought Adobe cs5 could handle DSLR footage natively?

I still use cs4, and just use the included Media Encoder to convert the footage into 1080-sized mpeg files. I'll get around to buying NeoScene one day. :lol:

It can handle it im just asking should I convert the footage to another format for a better, higher quality look that will not degrade under vfx and color correction?

It can handle it im just asking should I convert the footage to another format for a better, higher quality look that will not degrade under vfx and color correction?

You can get a free trial of Cineform Neoscene at their website. Yes, that's one of the editing codec options you'd want to use.

BTW, you can't uncompress H.264. It's a one way deal. ;)

Yeah, "uncompressing" the footage off the bat isn't necessary. You'll end up with the exact same picture but 10 or 20x the file size.

Use the footage as is in Premiere then copy and paste from Premiere to After Effects. Rendering from after effects is when you'll want to start using an uncompressed codec. You shouldn't have altered the picture before then, just shortened and rearranged clips (editing).

camvader, do you keep the original files, or are the cineform AVI's your main backup? Im torn, Iv never REENCODED a file yet but maybe some day..

Well, for wedding videos (not sexy, but $$$) I save the H.264 for Bluray since it's the highest resolution as a completed project. For a short, I would save the original cineform AVI's, all cataloged and ready to be re-cut from scratch plus an H.264 Bluray finished project master.

That being said and accounting for business, I'm up to 11 TB of on-hand storage right now - so large avi's don't bother me much.

Yeah, "uncompressing" the footage off the bat isn't necessary. You'll end up with the exact same picture but 10 or 20x the file size.

Use the footage as is in Premiere then copy and paste from Premiere to After Effects. Rendering from after effects is when you'll want to start using an uncompressed codec. You shouldn't have altered the picture before then, just shortened and rearranged clips (editing).

I actually don't paste in after effects and render out then put back in premiere pro. but rather, I right click on the clip in adobe premiere, and click open as composition in after effects. that way, any changes I make in after effects show up in premiere pro, it saves me from rendering out and putting them back in premiere

another way is to IMPORT the entire premiere project IN AE. This is my method. I lock the edit in Premiere, and then never go back. I may render out a low quality edit for use that for AUDIO SYNC, but final render is out of AE.

I work in CS5, with DSLR footage.

For me, it's been a simple equation of RAM. When I had 4GB RAM, the footage looked choppy during editing. It was annoying, but it didn't stop me from editing a feature film.

Now that I have 8GB RAM, it's smooth-sailing (only a very very slight amount of choppiness). So, I think your first move should be to look into upgrades. It might be as simple as needing more RAM, but maybe you need a new video card, maybe a new motherboard, maybe your hard drive is overloaded, many possibilities.

But you should be able to edit DSLR footage, in it's native state, in CS5.

All that being said, I still do contemplate picking up neoscene. Even though it requires a great deal more storage space, and it's an extra step, I do see the definite benefit in converting to a format more friendly to my software.

For me, it's been a simple equation of RAM. When I had 4GB RAM, the footage looked choppy during editing. It was annoying, but it didn't stop me from editing a feature film.

Now that I have 8GB RAM, it's smooth-sailing (only a very very slight amount of choppiness). So, I think your first move should be to look into upgrades. It might be as simple as needing more RAM, but maybe you need a new video card, maybe a new motherboard, maybe your hard drive is overloaded, many possibilities.

All that being said, I still do contemplate picking up neoscene. Even though it requires a great deal more storage space, and it's an extra step, I do see the definite benefit in converting to a format more friendly to my software.
There's a lot more to it than just an extra step and hardware friendly, CF (so good to see you, btw). The color space in Cineform is 4:2:2 as opposed to 4:2:0 and you can really push/pull/manipulate the file as well without degradation like you would get with H.264 by itself.

Hey, my first serious short is tomorrow. 9:30 am call time. I feel like I'm having a baby. ;)

There's a lot more to it than just an extra step and hardware friendly, CF (so good to see you, btw). The color space in Cineform is 4:2:2 as opposed to 4:2:0 and you can really push/pull/manipulate the file as well without degradation like you would get with H.264 by itself.

Hey, my first serious short is tomorrow. 9:30 am call time. I feel like I'm having a baby. ;)

haha funny you mention cause my first real short with over 15 actors on set sound, dp, etc. is saturday morning at 10 and then sunday again at 10, i feel like im having twins!!

Thanks crackerfunk for your response. I am able to edit the footage with no problem in cs5 as I have 16gbs of ram and a sweet vid card. I was just wondering about an intermediary codec to retain quality rather than to retain speed

Thanks crackerfunk for your response. I am able to edit the footage with no problem in cs5 as I have 16gbs of ram and a sweet vid card. I was just wondering about an intermediary codec to retain quality rather than to retain speed

Excellent. CamVader cleared the issue up for me. I guess that's the editor in me, thinking with editor-blinders on. A colorist, I am not. Good to have this info, that cineform will result in better coloring.

Jebus, I just covered that. :lol:

Don't necessarily take my first short as blind inexperience (although actors can sometimes suck and I've had a recent education with that). Some of us come from related fields and are OLD. :lol:

Good luck with all those people on your first short. :cool: Only kidding, my friend. Best of luck and please wish me the same.

Back