Drugs use in Video's

I haven't posted in a while.

I am just wondering if anybody knows what rules apply with people smoking marijuana or having drugs in their music videos...

an example is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfhANvAeXdo

What legal rules would apply, obviously it is an illegal drug in the UK compared to some states in the US which allow legal use for medical reasons... but what rules would apply with the video in terms of broadcasting, would it be able to be broadcast on TV and what constraints would they be online....

If anyone could get back to me it would be really helpful because it has been on my mind for a while :)

Of course you mean simulated drug use right? Paying someone in pursuit of a crime may fall under conspiracy and organized crime statues. Now, I just made that up, but sounds good.

I believe the PG-13 rating specifically requires no on screen drug use. If that helps. Plenty of music vids are R rated so what ever thats worth.

If the use is illegal and you video tape or film someone doing an
illegal act, both can be prosecuted. It doesn't happen often. Some
TV stations won't air a video with actual drug use - some will - I
don't believe there is a law on the books, but each broadcaster
will make an individual decision. Online there are no rules at all
on this.

As has been said, there's no law against simulating drug use for entertainment purposes, just as there's no law against simulated murder, theft, rape, tourture, etc.

Be aware though, that here in the UK, a video such as the Snoop one above, that is essentially a pro-marijuana promotional video, would probably never be shown on TV, and certainly not before the watershed. Also, the explicit lyrics wouldn't be allowed. Other rap videos (I'm thinking something like Dr.Dre - 'Next Episode') had people smoking and drinking throughout, they just blurred it out of the final cut!

It's called freedom of speech. Go ahead and shoot your scene.
If anyone ever wanted to go against the grain, the last time I checked, you can't SMELL a movie, so who's gonna be able to prove it was really weed?

In The Haunted Movie script, there was a lot of illegal use of U. S. prescription (controlled substance) drugs. In the production, I did my homework by consulting with doctors and designed the prescription bottles, pills and effects caused as accurately as possible. Do your homework. If, like any SFX, the believability is faulty; the movie's quality drops. Know your stuff. There are no laws against using drugs, guns, etc. in movies -- but be aware that a representative of law enforcement may question you and confiscate (LOL) if your prop IS that accurate... Another example, in Screaming In The Dark (while on location on private land @ night) we had cops watching our moves because of the guns used...

Back