Dreams of being in the film industry, scared of failure

Oh why hello there.
My name is Mike Peterson, and my biggest dream of all, is to be involved in the film industry.
May it be shooting movies, directing, or just editing.
I have a youtube account, but I'm no where near professional yet. I'm just finishing highschool.
The only credible kind of film I have are silly class projects http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSZWrP-0CWE
But one day I dream to make movies, and I will do anything to achieve that goal.
But there is one problem. The film school I am going to is Full Sail university, and I'm sure amongst this site, people know of it's bad rep. This being my school is pretty much set in stone, I had not known of its horrible feedback before I signed up. But why would I believe some douche on some random forum right? Well it turns out almost everywhere this school receives hate. But this is the kind of school where it seems only the kids who apply them selves are the ones who succeed with there goals. But my senior year is coming to an end, and I'm preety scared that I will be wrong, and this school sets me up for disaster.

So the real question is, by going to Full Sail, have I doomed myself for ever finding a career in the film industry?

Good or bad rep, film school is what you make of it. Utilize the resources to make films! Welcome!

One of the biggest reasons I picked Full Sail is because every students final project is to make an actual movie with a 35mm Camera with an actual budget. Not only do you get to create your own movie. You can help any other students with there own projects, thus creating an excellent portfolio. My biggest fear is, I have read alot of places, people turn down alot of Full Sail students.
Just for the fact they came from full sail. Normally I would call bull shit, but this seems to be a common occurrence with FS graduates.

Turned down for what? You don't show your diploma to direct a film. That piece of paper is worthless in the film industry, it's the experience and the films you make while attending that are worth it. Sounds like you went to film school to graduate and get a job. Can't help you there, that's not why I went.

I don't mean that.
Obviously before I start my film career I'm going to need money.
Perhaps something in broadcasting or something along those lines.

I want to make movies, but I cant just start popping out films right out of film school.

Turned down for what? You don't show your diploma to direct a film. That piece of paper is worthless in the film industry, it's the experience and the films you make while attending that are worth it. Sounds like you went to film school to graduate and get a job. Can't help you there, that's not why I went.

But how does one in your position bring in money.
I have always been very curious about that aspect of the film industry.
I don't wanna be in the film industry so I can be
SUPER FAMOUS AND RICH.
I want to make movies. But how do you get money when making movies?

The way to becoming a director is to make movies, and get a bill paying job. The way to become any other member of a film crew, is to start working on films, and climb the ladder. This will pay the bills too. You can start as a PA, move to grip, gaffer, UPM... you decide which ladder you want to climb.

The way to becoming a director is to make movies, and get a bill paying job. The way to become any other member of a film crew, is to start working on films, and climb the ladder. This will pay the bills too. You can start as a PA, move to grip, gaffer, UPM... you decide which ladder you want to climb.

Thanks for all the info.
I can tell this forum will be a very good aid in my future.

One of the biggest reasons I picked Full Sail is because every students final project is to make an actual movie with a 35mm Camera with an actual budget.

That's actually pretty cool. :cool:

I've assisted on several student films over the past couple of years - not one has been shot on film.

That's my reason for being more pessimistic about the future of film than others, I guess. :mope:

Ok, let me break it down for you bro.

Nothing to fear but fear itself.

Look into other film schools... (USC, NYU) espcially..... apply for FAFSA( financial aide) and get loans to go...

dont go to full sail if you read all this bad rep... if your unsure, like I said, look at other film schools.

This is Dave Franko, the Program Director from Full Sail University. A friend of mine sent me the link to this filmmaking community and I stumbled upon your comments when I joined. The teachers at Full Sail work in the film community so we participate in many online forums. I don’t want to intrude on your conversation, but if you don’t mind, I wanted share some thoughts with you. I believe students attend Film School to learn the art and craft of filmmaking, and to actually create films. At least that is why I attended Film School. At Full Sail, students are taught preproduction, production, and postproduction techniques while shooting on 35mm, Super 16mm, 35mm stills, HD, DV, and Tapeless formats. Our placement rate for our graduates, (not including internships or non paid positions), is 80%. Many of our grads go into Film Production, Broadcasting, and Post Production. I can provide you with a detailed job distribution chart upon request. Many of our graduates begin at entry level and assistant positions and work their way up the ladder by networking and gaining experience. I always welcome anyone to come look at the school, talk to our graduates, and talk to employers who have hired our grads. Just my thoughts. I wish you much success.

WWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW. God I'm glad I opened this post and read cuase after I did I found out about this great school. Dam this is great, I'm a Junior in H.S. and this opened my eyes and this sounds like a GREAT SCHOOL. I'm so pumped about going there but too bad I live so far in CT. Whatever we'll see what happens.

This is Dave Franko, the Program Director from Full Sail University. A friend of mine sent me the link to this filmmaking community and I stumbled upon your comments when I joined. The teachers at Full Sail work in the film community so we participate in many online forums. I don’t want to intrude on your conversation, but if you don’t mind, I wanted share some thoughts with you. I believe students attend Film School to learn the art and craft of filmmaking, and to actually create films. At least that is why I attended Film School. At Full Sail, students are taught preproduction, production, and postproduction techniques while shooting on 35mm, Super 16mm, 35mm stills, HD, DV, and Tapeless formats. Our placement rate for our graduates, (not including internships or non paid positions), is 80%. Many of our grads go into Film Production, Broadcasting, and Post Production. I can provide you with a detailed job distribution chart upon request. Many of our graduates begin at entry level and assistant positions and work their way up the ladder by networking and gaining experience. I always welcome anyone to come look at the school, talk to our graduates, and talk to employers who have hired our grads. Just my thoughts. I wish you much success.

LOL! small world...

Film Program

I think many people fail in the movie industry because they give up too quickly, or hang out with people who do not have a success oriented mindset. My rules for today:

1. Spend time with people more successful than you.
2. Arrive early. Have enthusiasm no matter what the job. Stay late.
3. Set your eye on the prize.

I think that everyone has fear going into college, it's scary, I know I do. When you tack film school on top of that, oh goodness...existential dread. But I don't think you should worry about Full Sail, even if the program isn't the best, college is not where you go, it's what you make of it. You hear of people in Ph.D and graduate programs from schools you've never heard of all the time, because they applied themselves. The same goes for film, if you apply yourself and are motivated you'll be fine wherever you go as long as you're making movies. And worst case scenario, you graduate with as much knowledge about film as you have now, and you take the path that many have, and find success with, that is, working their way up the ladder with no formal training. Just look at Tarantino.

yea man film isnt a job... its an experience

im not paying thousands of dollars a year to graduate and work a salary job....

im paying so that i have a broader knowledge on directing....gain connections and make the best films i can...

to me theres nothing better than watching a film or even a cartoon ive been painstakingly working on for the last month and finally finished....

thats why im in school...

First:
Silly works so don't say you've only done silly class projects. You ever hear of Monty Python? or The Whitest Kids You Know? Silly works, it just has to be smart silly.

About Full Sail: If you have heard bad things about Full Sail, then why are you going??? There are other film schools or at least schools that can teach you what Full Sail can, aren't there? Why don't you keep looking?

By the way, just because you heard that people turn down Full Sail grads doesn't mean YOU will be turned down. The same thing happened for a school I went to. I got past that stigma by telling people in the interviews I went on: "my school teaches you how to use the equipment, it doesn't make you good at it. I will make me good at it and I hope my work will show that." Works every time. It works because its true.

Also:
The only reason why you can't start popping out films is if you don't have access to equipment. You can get your hands on inexpensive equipment if you think creatively. How about borrowing a friends camcorder? That works. Also, you won't make money off of your first film, but then again, nobody does. People need to stop thinking that when they graduate from film school they will automatically be making a six figure wage.

EVEERRYYYONE is afraid of failure. But if you let that stop you, then you can't be a filmmaker. Maybe you won't be a failure. It is important to look at your capabilities objectively. Do you really have talent? Can you improve upon your talent? How can you make yourself better? You need to know what you can do.

The most important thing you can do as a high schooler/college age person, is to think in terms of what you CAN do to reach your goal, not in terms of what you CAN'T do.

Otherwise, you may as well go into real estate. There's money there, I hear....:D

-- spinner :cool:

Last edited:
Back