Dream list on a budget

Spend half on a Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera (used) with a lens, and the rest on lights + stands, and perhaps another lens. Budget at least $100-$200 for a tripod.

Canon T2i w/Magic Lantern
2 Extra batteries
32 GB SD card (holds almost 2 hours of video- I shot a feature with just a 16GB card and never filled it in a day)
A $150 tripod
Glidecam HD2000
A mic like the AT875R
Audio Recorder (I like my H4n, and it's cheap)
spend the rest on a lens and lighting

Last edited:
If you had a budget of $2000. What equipment would you get?
I would just copy/paste El Director's fine suggestions.

The Oben AT-3565 is a fine starter tripod. So it the Manfroto Element Travel tripod.
Both within that price range.

For lighting: Look at the Bescor 3-point LED kit. Not the best but not expensive
to start with. You should look into spending closer to $500 on the light kit. Look
at the Genaray 3 light ENG kit.

Maybe drop the Glidecam to start?

I saw that post but it could be read differently as in if you had ____ amount of a total budget how much would you spend on equipment, but I am sure you are right.

Yes. I finally want to purchase my own equipment. I have 2500 to spend on cameras, lenses, audio, and lights. I really love the gh4 n g7. Shot on gh4 before.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Are you shooting primarily narratives (short films)? Documentary? Commercial/corporate/promotional?
How different would your suggestions be in the different categories?

I'm thinking that in that budget range the Canon T2i with
a nice tripod and maybe a cage kit would work for short
films, documentary and even some smaller corporate/promotional
shoots.

Your primary focus is audio; for a beginner with a small budget
would your suggestions for mic and recorder be different if BloodnGuts
primary focus was doc over narrative but wants to make a short
film or two to learn?

Lighting will be different. But (as I already noted) a little $500 range
ENG kit is good to start with. Lighting can be supplemented by renting.

How different would your suggestions be in the different categories?

I'm thinking that in that budget range the Canon T2i with
a nice tripod and maybe a cage kit would work for short
films, documentary and even some smaller corporate/promotional
shoots.

The camera body is of least importance, though I'd look at the T5i instead (better image sensor), or even the T7i if 1080p60 is important. I had a T2i back in the day. It was a fine camera, but the difference between it and the other two I mentioned are night and day in terms of noise and sensitivity.

The lens is what matters most. The Canon 18-55mm kit lens is often underrated, but there are better options out there. The Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 is a great working range for documentary and isn't too expensive. Narrative might need something on the wider end, and I find for a lot of the promotional/corporate stuff I shoot that the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 ART lens is almost all I use. I use it on follow-doc style stuff all the time. Either way, there's no substitute for constant aperture.

A good tripod is a must. A cage is nice, but really a luxury for someone starting out. A basic shoulder or grip support can make handheld shooting (more important for doc/narrative) easier and more stable.

Get at least one spare camera battery so you can always have one charging while the other's in use.

Your primary focus is audio; for a beginner with a small budget
would your suggestions for mic and recorder be different if BloodnGuts
primary focus was doc over narrative but wants to make a short
film or two to learn?

I've been in the sound world for a long time, but I've also been lighting, shooting, and editing for most of that time.

Don't care for Zoom. Never have. I'd suggest the Tascam DR-60DmkII along with the AT-875. If the OP really feels the need to have a handheld recorder with built-in stereo mic array, the Tascam DR-40. Just remember that the shotgun mic will need to have shockmounting and wind protection, along with a spare cable. Always have a spare cable. Cables go bad a the worst time and the spare will bail your butt out on a shoot. And what about a boom pole?

A boomed mic is the most versatile audio tool out there. But if the OP is focusing more on corporate/commercial with talking heads, it may make more sense to purchase a wired lavalier along with the field recorder. The lav and recorder for seated interviews could be augmented by an on-camera mic like the RØDE VideoMic Pro, which could also be boomed for the occasional short film as practice.

And nobody has mentioned headphones. If you're recording sound, you need headphones. Sony MDR-7506.

Lighting will be different. But (as I already noted) a little $500 range
ENG kit is good to start with. Lighting can be supplemented by renting.

Lighting will be different. If it's mostly headshots, that ENG kit from Genray will do fine. There's also a 3-head kit from Aputure (HR672 daylight, two spot and one flood) that could be a good start.

For narrative, a good deal on a used tungsten kit may actually provide more versatility and more output.

There's also an argument to be made for getting one, large light to start. Something that can handle a single-light interview setup as a soft key. A couple of 5-in-1 reflectors (with stands and reflector holders) to supplement and there'll be lots the OP can accomplish.

Last edited:
And nobody has mentioned headphones. If you're recording sound, you need headphones. Sony MDR-7506.
Excellent catch!

All good suggestions, but I was really wondering if you would have
different suggestions if BloodnGuts said he would be primarily shooting
documentaries than if he said he would be primarily shooting narrative
short films? Other than lighting; I think we both agree on the different
kit needed.

All good suggestions, but I was really wondering if you would have
different suggestions if BloodnGuts said he would be primarily shooting
documentaries than if he said he would be primarily shooting narrative
short films? Other than lighting; I think we both agree on the different
kit needed.

Yes. For documentaries, one big key source and some 5-in-1 reflectors. Possibly a smaller light as a fill/accent if needed. For narrative, a multi-head kit, understanding that the three-head LED kits from Genray or Dracast or Aputure will only go so far. And still, at least one 5-in-1 reflector with reflector arm for a light stand.

I plan on shooting mostly shorts

Then definitely the DR-60DmkII and shotgun mic (AT-875) with shockmount and wind protection, and a boom pole. And headphones.

Camera with a good tripod, and basic shoulder support for handheld shooting. That Sigma ART lens, 18-35mm f/1.8, is great. It’s a little more expensive, but worth it if you can get it.

Multi-head light kit. You can look at those 3-piece LED panel kits. They’ll do a respectable job for tighter shots and smaller spaces. It may also require upping the ISO on your camera. As Rik said, you may need to rent to experiment with larger lighting schemes. Tungsten lights generate heat, but they look great on camera and there are lots of used kits out there with killer deals. You might get a great price on several lights that’ll easily light up most mid-sized interiors.

For a camera, I would use this one and then pretend you had a much higher budget if anybody asks (this might only be a photography camera, any derivative product suggestions anyone please chime in): https://www.buydig.com/shop/product...IL2MQfcRCPAZhxPZjlmg1YPfJ_F6r_bgaAnngEALw_wcB

Example of its image, lines not too hard, fantastic depth fluidity.
2v848m0.jpg

Last edited:
Back