Does anyone else feel this way?

Well, hey everyone. I know probably everyone on here has way more experience in film than me, but it's the only thing I've ever wanted to do. Okay, I get that might have been cheesy but I don't know how else to put it. I'm 15 and get a really strange feeling of being right at home when I'm alone and watching a good movie or how amazing being at a theater is. Anyone else ever get like that? I need a lift off point, something to help me work towards until college when I can do cinema studies and hands on stuff. Help!

I know exactly how you feel.

I got the bug a little earlier than you - at about 13.
By the time I was you age I was making a short film
every month, shooting something every weekend.

You don't need to wait for cinema studies to get some
hands on stuff - you can grab a little camcorder and
the free editing software that comes with every computer
and get some hands on stuff right now.

Welcome to indietalk!

I am amazed that at 15, you choose to write that. I know what you mean and how you feel.
And I also think you should start writing! About anything. At 15 for you to feel the need to write that, I think that's wonderful. Continue writing about your experience's. If your school have a paper, submit it. Your experience's could give you an idea for a screenplay or...
for now, a short film. If anyone feels the way you do at 15, they're a natural.

Hey I feel the same.
It's the fact that the film makes you feel
the emotions that the director tries to portray through.
One day you'll be the one doing that. Then at that point
it's even more of an experience like you'll ever feel, because
then you'll think of how many people you'll inspire.

Welcome Taytay.

Yes, that 'bug' hit me when I was younger myself. Watching movies...making my own on a really consumer grade camcorder.

I recommend you start to PA for local indie films in your area. That's a sure-fire way of gaining on hand set experience. Learn all you can about how a set runs.

Then when you get some money together, pick up a starter HD camera. Get some friends together (people you met as a PA perhaps)...and make some shorts for practice.

If you have the means, perhaps a good film school may be worth it to you. Do some research. If you don't mind paying off loans for a bunch of years...that might be a good way to learn and expand.

If you love it...things will naturally progress from there.

At age 14, I had to pick between drawing comic books or shooting movies. It came down to drawing was solitary and I liked getting together with my friends and throwing dummies off bridges and shooting it with a camera.

Now just because you like watching movies doesn't mean you will like making them. It's a lot of work and to be good at it means lots, and lots and lots of work. I like the advice you've gotten. Get a camera and some friends who are willing to help and make some movies. Keep them simple and short at first. I'm talking under 5 min. Don't try to make giant Hollywood movies. Do simple chase scenes. Maybe little comedies. You'll learn what works and what doesn't.

Look for other people in your area making movies and volunteer to help out. Keep you mouth shut and your eyes open. Pay attention to how they do things. If you have questions, be careful how you fit them. People making movies are focused on making them and not teaching, although some will be helpful.

Read books on making movies, watch movies, listen to commentary tracks by directors and crew. Read fiction books. Read non-fiction. Read. Read. Read. I lived in LA for 10 years and the biggest thing I found was nobody was reading other than scripts. That leads to people making movies just like movies they've seen and not making original movies. (This is my pet peeve and sorry for jumping up on my soapbox.)

The final advice is have fun. It's work, but try to make it fun.

Scott

Thanks everyone for all the advice! I own a camcorder so I'll get started with that and reading up.
I'm starting to understand that it's a lot of work and organization and being able to get things done now. I may not be able to do karate, but if there's something I can do, it's getting work done:)

Back