Diy Equipment Gear

I am going to film my new short film soon. But i need some euipment gear for my T2i. I was considering making a fig rig, dolley, steadicam, etc. Which of those is most appropriate for a dslr camera. I know focusing will be hard. But which do you guys use? And any pictures? I would prefer a diy. I cant afford the real thing.

I go back and forth on the stediycam thing.. why I want one is that I guess I accept that most of my movies will be ONE MAN band shows, and basically im envisioning a steady cam as a highly mobile shooting platform, or like a wearable tripod!

How do you keep the camera pointed at what you want when it's being lifted up on the crane you made?

As knightly said, practice...

But also, my particular jib is limited in that the camera cannot pivot (pan) on its mount. Fancier ones can. Mine can tilt, however, if I remove a locking pin from the fulcrum.

In most cases, though, the vertical move did not alter the composition of the shot such that separate panning or tilting of the camera on its mount was necessary. I simply set the tilt I wanted for the final position, then the jib kept the camera at that same angle throughout the move.

So when you are locked in it's a straight shot, or do you have a few pin holes for like straight, full down and full up angles?

No. If you look closely at the photo you'll see that the camera is actually mounted on a tripod head. It can tilt straight up to straight down, independent of the jib. Since I lock it in place it's just a friction head, not fluid.

Sorry I misunderstood you, I thought you meant a pin was locking off the upper (control arm) boom section's length (and creating like angle “presets” of the camera plate’s pivot/tilt), somehow.

-Thanks-

You didn't misunderstand, the pin does lock off the upper arm, but only at one position. The tripod head determines what angle that position is...if that makes sense.

Take out the pin and the entire mount tilts freely, independent of the boom.

Back