Deep Philosophical Question

I know the end product is the most important thing. Making the best movie possible, should be #1 on the list.

My lead actress is a natural born actress. Absolutely tremendous talent, with drop dead beauty to boot.

Everything behind the scenes in preparation she's sucked at. I've come close to firing her a few times, because she says she cares, and her actions say the complete opposite. I've bent over backwards to accommodate her on everything.

She decided to take a job for three months starting mid June. At the moment we can't shoot all her scenes before she leaves. It's impossible. When she gets back, other actors will be gone.

Last night we had a long talk, and I told her if she could get me a few extra weekends in June, I would get it all done. She said she'd try, but didn't think it would happen. If it came to it, the job (it's not at all for the cash) was more important.

Would you get the rest of the cast and crew together, and work out a way to get this done with her in the role? Would you just re-cast, because obviously the shoot is second to this position?

It sounds like you've done everything you could, and when she's saying "I'll try, but..."

I don't know her personality, she's modest or "Diva" (IE "Damn am I good!"), but it sounds like you have to recast-actions always speak louder than words IMO, and when you've done all you can, and she still isn't meeting you halfway-bite bullet and recast.

Dear Mr. Disappointed,

To me, it sounds as if you have fallen in love. (with the idea of this person being in your film) Its reasonable. Think about it, you put a lot of energy and attention into the relationship, its natural that it should have power and weight in your life. However, it looks like a one sided relationship. If you want to live like that then you will continue to be disappointed.

Signed.
The Love Doctor

As someone's who's been a similar situation, an emergency option you might not have considered is to add her into the relevant scenes with green screen.

Now you guys can tell me that won't work haha.

As someone's who's been a similar situation, an emergency option you might not have considered is to add her into the relevant scenes with green screen.

Now you guys can tell me that won't work haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLrpBLDWyCI&feature=related

Only kidding, SA. There is only so much "try" talk before I have to get Yoda involved. ;)

Last edited:
In Sin City, they had entire scenes where the cast wasn't in the same place at the same time (watch the BTS). That said, you should have recast a while ago if she's been being troublesome on the preproduction... that's when you can still do it without it killing your production. Anyone on a set is replaceable if they don't do the work.

How is this a deep philosophical question? You have to recast.

I think it was a joke? Amirite?

Keep this in mind: While shooting Reservoir Dogs, Lawrence Tierney would show up on set completely shitfaced and would want to fistfight the whole cast and crew. I think Quentin even fired him at one point! And then he came back and said he was sorry. So, I mean, sometimes you gotta bite the bullet... THE SHOW MUST GO ON!

Yeah, I've yet to have anyone say "keep her". I'll let you know how it works it.

Wheat: At this point, she can't disappoint me anymore. My ass is so sore from her fucking me, that I've lost all sensation. If somehow she stays, all that's left is for her to show up and act. She wants to do that.

She's someone that when they want something, they go whole-heartedly for it (e-mail responses within an hour). Then once they got it, they don't give a shit (wait days to hear back).

Her last director "lovingly" put up posts at her page "Hey don't you check your e-mail" and "Hey Slacker".

But, I still can't past up how great she is. She's intuitive, natural. Her expressions and reactions are perfect. All wrapped in a beautiful package. That's not replaceable. But, it's rare. Also, this is an incredibly intense role, which many actresses have refused to even audition for. Before someone could audition they had to read the full script. Actresses loved the material, but the general response was "I can't do that".

Keep her. Make it work. Chroma key, whatever. Do what it takes to get the best film possible, and if she's the one, you have to put up with the crap.

Don't forget: Do. There is no try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLrpBLDWyCI&feature=related

Only kidding, SA. There is only so much "try" talk before I have to get Yoda involved. ;)

Are you kidding? I add Yoda to every movie I do. After all he is the most important religious leader of our day. :)

I know this seems completely illogical (and it is). But, for everyone's sake, I worked out a way to get the shoot done with her in the role.

With that said: I have officially changed my title from Director to "Katelyn's Bitch".

If there was a way I can change ussinners to katelynsbitch I'd do it. I got a vagina where my penis once hung.

Back