• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Cornflakes Bad Guys

Hey guys, here is my first short I've made with my two brothers.

We shot it last weekend, and although I had not yet found this forum or started reading anything about Filmmaking, I knew I had to just go and shoot it.
We had no coverage, we just shot what we got, no script making it up as we went. I learned a lot more in the few hours of making it than I ever could have reading stuff on the internet.

So yes it's pretty bad. But I believe for my first shot at this it's quite good. I like it loads anyways.

So now you know not to mess with me when I eat my cornflakes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNPMAmaTyME

Good fun !

Good gunshot flashes.. how did you do them ?? program, etc..
Loved the glass breaking

Get audacity for sound editing if you care to, it's free and you can clean up the dialog.. 1 line, it was hard to hear.

Still good soundtrack music and pace.

mebbe study a scene done by your favorite director, copy the framing and pace, recreate it and make it your own !

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback I'd like to know what I did well in this as well as what I didn't do so well.

I've also just finished a half script half sketch sort of thing of our next one. We will be shooting tomorrow hopefully all of it, if not we will finish shooting next week, involving poker, Hennessey, and Guns and more unexpected Guns. What else do you want?haha

Good gunshot flashes.. how did you do them ?? program, etc..

Get audacity for sound editing if you care to, it's free and you can clean up the dialog.. 1 line, it was hard to hear.

Still good soundtrack music and pace.

After Effects. I used some stock muzzle flashes. My trick is to not be scared to make em big enough. Duplicate the original footage, and set it to additive. Once you've done that mask out parts of the body which will be lighten up by the gun flash. Once that's done, key-frame them to opacity 0percent the frame before the muzzle flash, to 100percent the one during the flash, 50percent the next frame, and finally 0percent. Like that you get a nice realistic flash. Add a growly bang, and a drum beat and you got a gun sound.

If you need more help just tell me.

Thanks for audacity it will suree help AE is everything but useful when it comes to sound.

mebbe study a scene done by your favorite director, copy the framing and pace, recreate it and make it your own !

Yeah, We shot in a reaal rush an other short scene today. It should be half decent, I also made a homebrew Dolly with my skateboard.

So probably for the next movie, I will study one of my favorite action scenes, learn it inside out and make it mine.

I said on your last video that I thought you were doing a pretty decent job at the effects, especially as this is in the vicinity of your first couple of films...

But what you should understand, and it's important for you to progress in this field, is that even the shortest film needs to serve a point and tell a story. Even a two minute action scene.

And you might argue that what you're doing now is just testing the action set up but that video is just: Guys with guns enter the house, guys with guns are in the house, guys with guns (collectively) shoot them.

Even action scenes need to serve a purpose and have a 'story' however slight. Maybe try explaining why they are fighting, or just try and make the differences more obvious (how about giving the baddies Russian accents*?) to the viewer. Little things like this will make you a much better filmmaker. But you're doing a good job I just think you need to work on that part of you game...

*Yep, I'm still pissy about the World Cup bid.

I said on your last video that I thought you were doing a pretty decent job at the effects, especially as this is in the vicinity of your first couple of films...

But what you should understand, and it's important for you to progress in this field, is that even the shortest film needs to serve a point and tell a story. Even a two minute action scene.

And you might argue that what you're doing now is just testing the action set up but that video is just: Guys with guns enter the house, guys with guns are in the house, guys with guns (collectively) shoot them.

Even action scenes need to serve a purpose and have a 'story' however slight. Maybe try explaining why they are fighting, or just try and make the differences more obvious (how about giving the baddies Russian accents*?) to the viewer. Little things like this will make you a much better filmmaker. But you're doing a good job I just think you need to work on that part of you game...

Thanks for the advice, and I've been taking this in for our next movie which we'll be shooting next saturday if all goes well, and all will go well. Basically i'll do a call of duty inspired mission briefing at the beginning explaining why the guy has got to go in and beat the guys up ( to save his mate who is held hostage).
I've also done a lot of work on thinking about camera angles and stuff

*Yep, I'm still pissy about the World Cup bid.

well you should be

pretty good. The breaking glass would have looked pretty convincing had you tracked the shot. Its pretty easy to do and it will make your compositions look awesome. learn here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz8BM2luOeE

Here is a Perfect example of tracked video. notice the the effects stick to the enviroment in the video. hope you dont mind Wheat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyixbkLeMV0

Back