Community Project

My greatest regret, during my time on IndieTalk, has been my failure to get a community project off the ground. We came pretty close with the organ lottery project, but it never quite worked out. The past few days has seen a new member trying to get another community project off the ground, but is, I suspect, going to fall into a number of inevitable traps.

I am currently studying for the final exams of my academic career (*sob*) so am just sitting in libraries all day, every day. I'd like something to break it up a little bit (in addition to the couple of projects I am, slowly, working on). So I've come up with a new way to do a community project.

If you would like to participate in this project as a director (or in a shooting capacity), I need the following information out of you:

What actors are at your disposal? [i.e. two men and a woman]
What locations are at your disposal? [i.e. a house, a bar, an abandoned quarry]
Can you record decent quality sound? [i.e. yes]

Please be conservative with your responses. In order for this project to be realistic and work, I need to be sure that people can (and will) shoot their scenes in the allocated manner.

Once I have a bunch of participants, I will go away and write a short script that incorporates these various shooting units into a single coherent story. I will ensure that no member has more than a maximum of two days shooting (though generally will try and keep it to what can be done in a single day). If you cannot record decent quality sound, I will give you no dialogue to shoot. Everything will be kept as simple as possible (within the constraints of a very tricky project!) so that we have the maximum chance of success.

Additionally, if you are not willing to direct (or arrange the production of) a shooting unit, there are loads of other roles that are required:

Composer
Editor - individual units should edit their scenes but a central editor will put it all together and try and ensure that the editing matches throughout.
Post-sound
VFX - will not be VFX heavy, but we can incorporate some if there's someone who can supply the talent.
Marketing - with so many cooks, would be great to have someone responsible for pushing the film.

In order to make this attempt as successful as possible, I will only accept forum regulars into the scheme. New members (and I'm talking people who've only been around a few weeks) are welcome to input and help out, but it is of paramount importance that I know people will stick around and see their unit through to completion.

The deadline for signing up is 18th April 2014, giving people two weeks, after which we will allocate two months (and a bit) to complete production of your scenes, meaning a shooting deadline of 30th June 2014. As I have said, should be no more than a day of filming over the course of two months, so if you can't commit to that then please don't!

I really hope this works, and I think it can. Let me know if you have any thoughts and get signing up!

Current units:
David.rhsc (San Francisco, USA)
cheeseandachallenge (Wellington, New Zealand)
Cracker Funk (Richmond, USA)
wheatgrinder
Flicker Pictures (Boston, USA)
mad_hatter (Birmingham, England)
Dreadylocks (Omaha, USA)
Lucky Hardwood (New Orleans, USA)
ChimpPhobiaFilms (Ohio, USA)

Fence-sitting-maybe-merchants:
WalterB
Dreadylocks
sfoster
mad_hatter
ChimpPhobiaFilms
ItDonnedOnMe
jax_rox
Flicker Pictures

Music team
JoshL
mike mcguill

Sound team
mike mcguill

Sound maybes
AudioPostExpert
Alcove Audio

Marketing maybes
RayW

And remember to fill in this form if you want to have a shooting unit in the film!

(Of course, if you're local to an existing unit, why not team up?)

Last edited:
Looks cool, will be good when sound is finished on it. ATM i would say its hard to judge too much on the edit till there is a final combined peice. Then I can get a sense of pace etc. Keep it up so far so good.

Yeah, lookin' good! I can't remember whether I saw the previous edit of that scene (I presume/know that I did, but I don't have a clear memory of the cuts) but this one flows pretty nicely. As Tom notes, the sound will be key to selling it as a drama (I think it definitely needs some oceanic atmosphere to make the dialogue a bit less clipped) but shaping up very nicely.

Looking forward to seeing what you get next :)

I'm pretty new to IT and I just came across this thread. I've only watches two scenes, and I have to say, I'm pretty impressed. The acting is actually really good!

It's kind of funny because last night I was watching the Star Wars UNCUT fan film put together by Lucus Films. This project is actually pretty similar because you have a lot of people in different areas coming together to make the project. The difference is, of course, it wasn't organized and they didn't know it would be edited into one large project. Oh, and also, the acting is horrendous for the most part!

At any rate, I'm excited to see the finished product. Keep up the good work!

Hey, been a few weeks... How far along is the edit? Any updates :)

Sorry guys, I've been completely out the loop. But I'm back now and I'll chase CF down on the edit...

Will Vincent said:
I haven't been keeping up with this, but if nobody's thrown their hat in the ring for it yet, I'd be game to do color grading on this beast.

I am very up for that if you're still game.

I had a quick word with CF and hopefully we'll be making waves in the next couple of weeks with the edit.

In the meantime, I was thinking we could run a fun-and-friendly poster design competition? No big prizes or anything, but the winner (as selected by public vote) gets to be the official poster. And then we'll have a nice gallery of different submissions for the Facebook page and Twitter...etc. Sound good?

I'm on a heavy deadline at the moment (just like the past few months).

After that (few weeksfrom now) I hope to have some more time.
I've got a dozen of great BTS pictures and some BTS footage plus a part of the TV item that was beinig shot in the Dutch scene.

By the way, I'm not taking credit as sole editor. A lot of what I'm doing, in case it wasn't obvious, is tweeking other people's edits. So they also need to be credited on IMDB and such. Also, one of these scenes is completely unaltered from what was sent to me. I'm doing things sequentially, and decided to skip that one simply because it's a little more difficult to edit something that's shot in a language I don't speak. Plus, I think it's edited really well. That being said, I do plan to tighten that scene up just a touch.

I'm almost there on the 1st rough cut. Thank you for being patient with me! I plan to finish the 1st rough cut within a couple days.

Back