Close Encounters of The Third Kind

So.. i only just watched Close Encounters of The Third Kind for the first time last night.

i know! i'm a little behind the ball. my bad!

but god damn! what a great movie. This films +30years old and i was still SO emotionally involved with this film.
when it ended i kinda had a feeling of like, 'was that not real?' 'did that not just happened to me?'
it was peculiar. i haven't had a film be THAT powerful before, where i kind lose my own reality, and become part of the movies reality. i mean, to a certain extent that happens sometimes, but never like this before.

i love this film.

Yeah, definitely a classic. All the mystery, hope and wonder that Spielberg is known for. Brilliant film, start to finish.

And tied in to your other thread, ashrey, when I was a kid I had an oversized comic adaptation of Close Encounters (if memory serves, Marvel put it out. They had a line of giant-sized issues. I think I also had a Howard the Duck one) that I read and re-read over and over. I don't have it anymore, unfortunately.

it so nostalgic, yet i was still 10 years off being born when this movie was made.. its just so childlike it relates to anyone!

i also noticed that, its a really different approach to the alien contact scenario. usually, in most movies(and i think in reality if it actually happened), the come armed with guns, tanks, missiles, fighter jets, anything big and powerful. but in this film, there's hardly any of that stuff, the humans actually just want to make contact peacefully, and believe they are peaceful too.
...magic stuff i tell ya!

Which version did you see? The Blu Ray has 3 entirely different versions. Let me ask it this way -
did you see the inside of the spaceship at the end
?

Which version did you see? The Blu Ray has 3 entirely different versions.

There's different versions?! I've only seen the version that used to be available on Netflix Instant Streaming; I presume it was the theatrical cut. Well, that and a VHS version I saw as a child. I definitely need to check out the Blu Ray edition...

yeah i got the blu ray copy. and of course chose to watch the directors cut. so there was no inside of the space ship, which i'm happy i didn't see.
but i've since watch some special features and they show it in there. Spielberg himself says he never should of showed the inside of the ship. it was the Studio's idea, surprise!

There was the theatrical cut (1977), then the special edition (1980), then a "director's cut" (2003).

Aside from the big ending of the special edition, the differences are subtle. The Blu Ray has all 3 and I've watched 2 of them on that.

I'm going to be the outlier here and say that I really, really don't like Close Encounters and despise Dreyfus's performance in it. There is a pile of stones just over there. Please form a single file line. One stone only, please. After they bounce off my head, if a few of you wouldn't mind rinsing the blood off and re-stacking them I imagine we can save a lot of time.

^ Ahem, I'll just pretend I didn't read that. Say nothing. Act casual :)

"Close Encounters" is definitely one of those films that I can't stop watching. I've watched all the versions on Blu-ray (and DVD and VHS), and even caught it on TV the other night (in 4:3!!! Oh, the horror!) Just love the sense of wonder Spielberg can achieve. I'm a sucker for his old films (watching "Jaws" on July 4 is a ritual in our house).

And really, how can you not like a film that has an upside-down R2-D2 figure on the bottom of the mothership? heh

Now, do yourself a favor and go find the "Closet Cases of the Nerd Kind" parody (I know part of it is on YouTube). It's hilarious. "Gonna build a mountain...in your living room (in your living room)". Hmm, this means something!

I'm going to be the outlier here and say that I really, really don't like Close Encounters and despise Dreyfus's performance in it. There is a pile of stones just over there. Please form a single file line. One stone only, please. After they bounce off my head, if a few of you wouldn't mind rinsing the blood off and re-stacking them I imagine we can save a lot of time.

I don't like vanilla ice cream. No matter how much people might describe the great taste - it's entirely subjective.

It's okay to hate a movie everyone else loves.

:lol:

It's okay, that is allowed. And I'm no stranger to being the one person who doesn't like a classic -- you might recall that discussion we had on "Duel". I'm also not too big on "2001".

Every now and then, we all feel like Peter Griffith.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S9WyYaO7mQ

:lol:

It's okay, that is allowed. And I'm no stranger to being the one person who doesn't like a classic -- you might recall that discussion we had on "Duel". I'm also not too big on "2001".

Every now and then, we all feel like Peter Griffith.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S9WyYaO7mQ

I don't watch Family Guy, but that clip is just great and probably happens every time a group of filmmakers get together! Hysterical.

And I love the Godfather AND The Money Pit equally. Tom Hanks laughing through the hole in the floor gets me every time.

Well I guess I'm going to be the first to say I didn't like it. I did like the 1980 special edition re-release, with the added scenes. The original had some plot holes, or at least things not explained as well as they should have been. It's been a while since I've seen it, but I remember liking the special edition better, cause it covered more information. In the original I also thought that Richard Dreyfus's character going crazy was too over the top, and just eye rolling, when it was suppose to be serious.

Especially when he went crazy and dug up the yard. I'm glad they cut that out of the SE and they concentrated on the important plot points, rather than him going over the top with it. I realize he was going crazy but since it wasn't explained well, and you didn't know what was going on, you couldn't deal with him, and that's what caused it to be more eye roll-able. It just didn't work. The SE cut that scene out and took care of it better, in my opinion.

Well I guess I'm going to be the first to say I didn't like it.

Nope, Uranium beat you to it.

Also, I LOVE the yard digging-up scene!

On the discussion of classic movies, I'm about to watch "Last of the Mohicans", for the first time. I guess that's not old enough to be "classic", yet, but lots of people seem to love it.

Back