Cinematic Shutter Speed!!

Ok, so they just told me that the best way to get a cinematic shutter speed look, is to multiply by 2 the frame rate in which we are filming. example(24p - 48Shutter Speed), But everytime I see my footage tests, i keep thinking that i need a shutter speed around 500, or something, i know that it depends on every person, what they want etc. But i would like to know, what you guys think, or what are the shutter speeds you use?

1/500 shutter speed?

MY EYES, MY EYES.

You were told correctly; if you shoot 24p, standard SS is 1/48. If you use PAL, you'll be on 25p, so 1/50. To be honest you can get away with slight deviations of these numbers, but there is no real need to.

You can use higher shutter speeds for different effects (1/100 for strobe effect for example, depending on equipment). But 500? Never.

Why do you think you need to raise shutter speed?

Ok, so they just told me that the best way to get a cinematic shutter speed look, is to multiply by 2 the frame rate in which we are filming. example(24p - 48Shutter Speed), But everytime I see my footage tests, i keep thinking that i need a shutter speed around 500, or something, i know that it depends on every person, what they want etc. But i would like to know, what you guys think, or what are the shutter speeds you use?

What makes you think you need a shutter speed interval so short? You could be on the order of 1000fps at that shutter angle. Or you're looking at some serious stutter-cam motion at 24fps. Think of it this way, if you were shooting PAL 25 fps (to make the math easier) then 1/500th exposes the frame for 10x less time than 1/50th. Object position will take some big jumps from frame to frame at that shutter speed. You'd also need to light the crap out of it. Oh, no. Wait.

Wait, you're trying to cut down on light because you want to use the lens WFO in broad daylight aren't you? This is what you want:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutral_density_filter

Last edited:
Changing shutter speeds is very common for effects such as Higher shutter speeds (like the ones you're talking about) for high intensity scenes (gladiator, saving private ryan) for showing the mental intensity of the character's world... and slow shutter speeds for the walking drunk through a party kind of effect, or dream like shwooshy motion artifacts it creates... the disjoint that the higher speeds create are from a lack of the motion artifacts -- or motion blur.

the 180 degree shutter (fps * 2) standard is for "normal" looking footage and is an aesthetic thing that most folks are used to looking at and accept as "normal." If you deviate from this, know that the audience will see it differently than you will and you always push against the audience at your own peril.

The beach scenes in Saving Private Ryan were pretty stuttery, and Kaminski didn't go any faster than a 45° shutter - at 24fps that's 1/192 of a second. 1/500 is going to look pretty awful.

In some cases, even 1/48 is going to be too fast (you can get strobing if you're panning with a telephoto lens or are zoomed in all the way).

My 7D lets me go as low as 1/30, but I've had good results between 1/40 and 1/48. Personally, I can't stand the use of fast shutter speeds during action sequences -- gives it that "Gladiator" look I'm not too fond of.

Well, i really like how it looks some takes at a fast shutter speed, but also one of the reasons I want to set a fast shutter speed is to get a shallow DOF during daylights, since i ain't got any ND filters right now, but for now i guess i'll set normal speeds, Btw, i'm using a T2i, which gives 1/45 and 1/60, which one you think would be better for the "film look", if I'm filming with a 23.98 frame rate?

Last edited:
Well, i really like how it looks some takes at a fast shutter speed, but also one of the reasons I want to set a fast shutter speed is to get a shallow DOF during daylights, since i ain't got any ND filters right now, but for now i guess i'll set normal speeds, Btw, i'm using a T2i, which gives 1/45 and 1/60, which one you think would be better for the "film look", if I'm filming with a 23.98 frame rate?

1/45 will be "cinematic", although you can get away with 1/60 for scenes that don't have a lot of movement.

i just checked a few tests i made, i guess if the camera doesn't have any movement, you can get a faster shutter speed for some particular situations. And I also took a look to saving private ryan, which i think it looks okay, i also remember 28 days later using a fast shutter speed (the zombie scenes) didn't they?, anyway, thanks is good to hear what other people thinks.

i just checked a few tests i made, i guess if the camera doesn't have any movement, you can get a faster shutter speed for some particular situations. And I also took a look to saving private ryan, which i think it looks okay, i also remember 28 days later using a fast shutter speed (the zombie scenes) didn't they?, anyway, thanks is good to hear what other people thinks.

Saving Private Ryan does look alright, but you're using a shutter speed more than two and a half times as fast at they used. Go ahead and try it out, but if the results are unwatchable don't say we didn't warn you…

Some cameras (good ones) have internal ND filters. If not, depending on the thread size, a "real" ND filter is really cheap, used off ebay, like $5 cheap.

Some cameras (good ones) have internal ND filters. If not, depending on the thread size, a "real" ND filter is really cheap, used off ebay, like $5 cheap.

This. ^^^^

The "should I change shutter speed solely to reduce light because I want a shallow DoF outdoors in the middle of the day" question has been covered. Twice. Then primered, painted, polished, and shined. It's done.

Does the "stroboscopic" motion fit your shot? If yes, then great. If no, then use ND, a lower ISO, shoot later in the day for less light, or some other solution. If you want that look, use it. If you don't want that look, don't accept it as a side effect of a perceived solution to a problem with already existing solutions that don't jack up your image and thus your scene.

Just sayin'. Simply my opinion. :D

thanks, I'll try those or maybe I will look something a little bit cheaper. I'm also looking for a CPL filter, I want to reduce car window reflection in daylights, will a CPL filter do the job?...

Back