• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Cheating Crowd Scenes

I'm involved in a production with a scene that takes place in a church with a good number of people, anywhere from 15 to 50, with more being better. Since extras are hard to come by, especially without pay, I've been considering using post production to increase the size ofthe crowd.

Here's what I've been thinking: shoot the scene twice (or three times), each time filling up a different part of the church with the same extras. They would change clothes and makeup for each new take. We would film from the back, so we can't see their faces. The camera would be on a tripod, in the same position for each take. The lighting would also remain the same (as this scene is artificially lit and it is night).

My question is, has anyone done this before, and how would they actually combine the footage? I have aftereffects and I think it can do it, but I'm not exactly sure how.

Thanks for any advice or help!

Tip #1: Make sure the camera is completely stationary the whole time or the effect won't work properly.

Tip #2: Be sure to have a lot of different costumes and hats (wigs, too if possible) so there is more variety.

Tip #3: If your audience's bodies are going to overlap, use a green-screen in front of each person (bright green poster board works great). Light it well(evenly) and don't dress anyone in green. The nice thing about this sort of masking is that you can put the lights in the shot since you will only be placing the people in the composition.

Tip #4: Make sure to get a master of the empty room to composite against.

Tip #5: Shoot everything in focus, but blur the crowd in post (when appropriately possible) so the flaws are less obvious.

I'm involved in a production with a scene that takes place in a church with a good number of people, anywhere from 15 to 50, with more being better. Since extras are hard to come by, especially without pay, I've been considering using post production to increase the size ofthe crowd.

Here's what I've been thinking: shoot the scene twice (or three times), each time filling up a different part of the church with the same extras. They would change clothes and makeup for each new take. We would film from the back, so we can't see their faces. The camera would be on a tripod, in the same position for each take. The lighting would also remain the same (as this scene is artificially lit and it is night).

My question is, has anyone done this before, and how would they actually combine the footage? I have aftereffects and I think it can do it, but I'm not exactly sure how.

Thanks for any advice or help!

I did an experiment with a small group using FCP 7 and a stationary camera. I just did a split screen. It wasn't fabulous because it was just an experiment but it would work with a properly stationary tripod.

Well, you could sneak into the church during an actual service and guerrilla a couple crowd shots from the back. This would be relatively easy because everyone will be looking away from you.

You'd have to be bold and brave. And it may be best to do this after you've wrapped up all the other interior shots.

Good luck.

Surely there must be church-members who'd like to be a part of the event happening in their own church.

This.

+ This.

50 people is not really that many. It's worth it to your film to get as many real extras as you can. Check with the church, ask *everyone* you know to come out for a few hours, have them ask people they know. Just about every church I have ever experienced has literally dozens of little old ladies with lots of free time and a burning desire for attention.

Feed them. If possible toss them a little gas money. Do not make them come early, do not make them stay for the entire shooting day. Have one person dedicated almost entirely to wrangling them and giving them direction. Have them arrive in time to have a meal (say, your crew's normal lunch break). Then have their shots be the VERY FIRST shots up after lunch. Do nothing else except the shots that require the extras. Do all of those shots, then release them and finish your day.

Do not, under any circumstance make them wait an inordinate amount of time. Have them there, do their shots, get them out. Nothing kills your volunteer pool like making them wait while you perfect some close up that could be easily done without their presence.

Back