Casting for non verbal role

Hi, Im holding auditions for my short shooting on the 24th of June. The role is non speaking, as is the entire short. I have some ideas on how to audition actresses for the part, but would like a few simple to communicate "challenges" or setups to pose to them.

Also, the part has some very physical activity, back arching, spazing on the floor, etc. Would you consider adding something like that into the audition?

Also, any links to videos showing auditions would be helpfull.

Thanks again.

Also, the part has some very physical activity, back arching, spazing on the floor, etc. Would you consider adding something like that into the audition?

That would probably be a good idea. You want to make sure they can do it right, don't you?

Several years ago I took an on-camera audition/acting class and a lot of the sides we worked with were for commercials. Bear in mind these were real sides from real commercial auditions that the casting company (who shared the building with the acting school) used.

75% of them had no dialog at all. It would be something like, act like you're riding on the giant drop, the tension builds as you get to the top and then you drop and scream etc. One was for a learning/tutoring center where the audition was to act like you received a test back from your teacher. It's an F. Then do it again (after going to the learning center place) and now you're happy because your test is an A.

There was another one where literally you just had to smile and wave because that's what the part was. Can you imagine how hard it would be to see hundreds of people smile and wave and somehow decide who was 'best?'

Good luck to you, I hope you find the right actor for the role! :)

You should have a standard audition with speaking to see how they act in general, and convey emotion. Also to see if they look the part, and to make them more comfortable before asking them to flail on the floor.

Then, add a physical challenge if they fit the bill to see if they can pull it off.

My first audition, so thanks so far. Id like to record the auditions, I presume that sort of expected these days, any warnings?

Thanks for the tips so far. Ill prepare a side that has dialogue and without. Heck, I might just add some to the script before the day anyway!

Recording auditions is totally fine. After all you're making film not theatre.

My only tip for that is to have you actors 'slate.' Which is, at the beginning of their take, where they look right in the camera, say their name and sometimes what they are reading for. With young actors they will sometimes also state their age.

I've taken the advice of the director / producer from the Action / Cut directing film for years now where he recommends you audition actors to do everything you expect them to do in front of the camera to make sure they are right for your production.

Good luck, I hope you don't run into actors with the mind set that they don't believe they are acting, unless they are talking.

I've had GREAT luck with my silver demon hunters casting when I explain to actors they should have both an acting reel and an action reel. I actually attracted martial artisrs who want to show what they can do in front of the camera with their martial arts.

Recording auditions is totally fine. After all you're making film not theatre.

My only tip for that is to have you actors 'slate.' Which is, at the beginning of their take, where they look right in the camera, say their name and sometimes what they are reading for. With young actors they will sometimes also state their age.

Agree on this.
In fact sometimes I don't even watch them live at all. I am looking at the monitor the entire audition.

I focus as much on auditioning actors when they are listening and reacting to other dialog as when they are speaking. Have them read sides with a reader, and key in on what they do when they aren't speaking.

ah, Ill never write some dialogue in time, anyone have a recommendation for a side?

Just ask them to prepare a monologue. A professional actor will always have at least 3-4 monologues at the ready (but still tell them before the audition so they can make sure to polish it up). Be sure to specify if you want it to be classic, modern, dramatic or comedic; and if you want them to keep it under a certain number of minutes.

well, I feel bad as the auditions are tomorrow and I did not mention the monologue in my invite email. I DID state that I would have them READ something even though the script has no dialgoue. Any ideas for a simple short scene to use?

Thanks

Thanks all,
because of the advice and wisdom on this board my first time holding auditions went very well. It was a short list of invites and two actress were excellent so I'm very pleased.

I was able to offer clear direction, walked share feedback etc. Thanks so much.

Extra special Kudos to fellow board member Phil for showing up and helping read, Im SO freaking jacked! Phil is now part of this project, amazing! lucky me.

Back