"Captain America"

It's all about the art direction and the gorgeous 1940s art design. Some lovely FX work as well, such as the whole skinny Steve/muscular Steve effect, which is flawless.

And Hugo Weaving as the Red Skull does a dead-on impression of Werner Herzog -- I'm absolutely not kidding. Herzog fans will get a kick out of it.

Yet another 3D film that didn't need to be 3D. I wish Hollywood would end this obsession with adding 3D after the fact. At least the screening I saw was bright enough, as my big gripe with 3D is the theater's bulb usually isn't cranked up to compensate for wearing dark 3D glasses.

I have some reservations about the characters and writing, but it's certainly a fun Summer popcorn movie. I'd even see it again.

Myth, it's all plot. Lots of red meat for the masses. But no nuance at all.

Still, fun to watch. But it doesn't leave you with anything. Not even a "With great power comes great responsibility" theme (though they try to pull this off, and don't quite make it, as there's no follow-through).

I think it is going to be pretty cool. My guess is the story is not that well developed that it is more of an action movie. Hopefully has some hurmor to it too. From the previews it looks pretty cool to me.

I will say that it's some of the nicest eye candy I've seen in a while, and worth going just for that alone. Just be sure to channel your inner 12-year-old while watching it.

Exactly.

Joe Johnston defends his post-conversion here: http://tinyurl.com/3zf5hal

"The cameras and their necessary hard and software made up one of the most cumbersome and unwieldy packages I've ever had the misfortune to work with. I couldn't move the camera at a high rate of speed, I couldn't fit it through tight spaces, lens changes took 45 minutes...if the two lenses weren't perfectly calibrated to the exact same focal plane, the shot was unwatchable. It's harder to fast cut an action sequence because your eye needs time to re-establish the depth of each shot. The biggest drawback is that it would have added 30 days to the schedule. For all these reasons and more, I decided to shoot the picture 2D and convert it."​

Right, Joe, but what about simply not converting it at all. Post-conversion often looks like flat two-dimensional layers stacked along the Z-axis because there's no fricking true parallax.

So please, Joseph, drink this nice hot cup of steaming STFU. :bang:

Just saw it Sunday.

It's a great movie! Might be my favorite super movie yet. I loved the characters, everything was acted well, and the story was good. It's a throwback to the classic "good vs. evil" as opposed to most modern stories where the hero has some sort of inner demon to face. Cap is the guy who does the right thing no matter the cost. Some might call it a weak character or lack of story, but considering you don't see characters like that anymore and the environment and situations the guy was put in to it worked out great. It had it's funny moments too, especially tommy Lee Jones. There were several lines that had everyone in the theater laughing out loud and the others put a huge smile on your face.

Beautiful art direction, like has been said. The sets are nuts.

I actually didn't realize this was a post-3D movie. I reluctantly saw it in 3D but afterwards was glad I did. It's one of the only 3D flicks that doesn't give you a headache, probably because they had that much control in post. Just because someone doesn't use over the top 3D visuals like a snake flying into the audience or ping pong balls shooting out doesn't mean that it doesn't have it's place. It was bright enough that you can't mark that against it, and subtle enough to really draw you into their world just a little more. If nothing else, the closing title sequence is cool enough to justify the 3D ticket haha. It was fun.

I thought all-in-all it caught the essence of what Captain America was made for. It's the hero kids needed when the original comics came out and he's the kind of guy anyone wants to be friends with. Good truly for the sake of good, a theme that's missing in media today.

Psyched for Avengers now!

I thought this was interesting. I don't see any problem with the filmmakers electing not to use this era of the comics, but I did find it quite interesting.

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertai...-america-really-sleep-through-vietnam/242573/

Mr. Johnston is correct about all of those technical issues with 3d rigs, but I'm in the "shoot it that way skip it" camp. Maybe it's improved in the last year, but I found the flatness to be incredibly distracting.

Bummed that I won't have time to catch this in a theater, but 'dems the breaks.

I liked it but it wasnt as good as i thought it would be. I thought the begining was kind of slow but overal i thought it was pretty good.

The WW2 era film definitely exposed politicians as at lease somewhat corrupt, where the government military leaders were good. It also focused on a multi national force. Sure Cap led it, but most of the allied countries (and other ethnicities) were represented. It didn't touch on any of the social issues like racism or similar though.

I think the new Avengers movie will carry more "corrupt government" themes. Iron Man sure did, and now Cap is in a generally more corrupt (less ideal) modern world he'll have to face those issues.

You know what? I actually really liked this.

I'm the opposite of bretzdamn in that I liked the first two thirds but by the final third it was just generic action without much direction. But the earlier stuff I really liked.

You can check out my full review here!

That review is also worth checking out for the very first review by our new chief cartoonist Jac Clinch!

Yet another 3D film that didn't need to be 3D

I will save my bucks, then, when it hits the dollar theater. :cool:

Trailer looks like a pretty generic dumb action movie, fwiw. Not terribly excited about this to start with.

"TRON: Legacy" actually has a truly excellent soundtrack by Daft Punk. It's as if the music was composed for a much better movie.

This is true.

It also has Olivia Wilde in and she's part of my dream line-up for my, as yet unproduced, film Gash (slasher version of Battle Royale but with lesbian Victoria's Secret models...)

I really have little to no interest in Captain America as a character, but the trailer looked good, I love Hugo Weaving, and I'm REALLY excited about the Avengers (huge Joss Whedon fan). I'll have to see this at some point, though weighing that against just going to see HP8 again. And I just spent money on a new guitar.

...though I still haven't seen Tron 2, the more I've thought about Sucker Punch, the more I actually liked it ;) That said, Nick, Battle Royale with Victoria's Secret models has sold me, though I kept thinking Olivia Williams, not Olivia Wilde.

It also has Olivia Wilde in and she's part of my dream line-up for my, as yet unproduced, film Gash (slasher version of Battle Royale but with lesbian Victoria's Secret models...)

I would watch that.

I really liked Olivia Wilde's skin-tight catsuit and her cute bob wig with the asymmetric bangs in "Tron."

I was also very disappointed that in "Cowboys & Aliens," Wilde is naked, but you get to see NOTHING.

Boo! :grumpy:

Back