Canucks lose the Stanley Cup...

...and NickClapper is nowhere to be heard from. So I'm thinking he's either dead, in jail for introducing London-style soccer-hooliganism to those sweet Canadians, or else holed up in a fallout shelter without WiFi.

Well, I can assure you I haven't seen or heard from him (mind in I'm in the wrong province and all).

I was saddened to see a number of idiots ruin it for everyone else-no doubt you won't be seeing large congregations like that next year-maybe smaller, easily controlled groups.

A pity really because up to Game 7 they were showing what CAN be accomplished in a mass setting.

And you call us Canadians sweet, thank you Dready! :) I shall send a box of freshly baked cookies to you in the near future ;)

I was saddened to see a number of idiots ruin it for everyone else-no doubt you won't be seeing large congregations like that next year-maybe smaller, easily controlled groups.

From the photos it looks like most of the 'rioters' were just standing around taking pictures and video on their cell phones. lol It seems like a few punks just got opportunistic with their 'anarchy moment.' Bound to happen.

I object! Not all Canadians are sweet .. I'm a right bastard.

Oh you must be French-Canadian ;)

Oh nevermind, looks like someone found Nick... and is that Natalie Portman? Well that explains his absence...

Untitled.jpg

On a serious note, I was pretty ashamed to see the rioting. I'd assume it was a small minority of fans.

But, it was ridiculous. Destroying your own town because you lost...?

It's almost everywhere is sport. But never at home. There'll be rivalries. The small goings on, will always go on. But to your own town. No.

I agree.

I support a club that has, in the past, been pretty notorious for hooliganism but I've never seen the same mob mentality that was present on Wednesday. It was just pent up aggression being channeled in the most unproductive way possible. Everyone out here, that I spoke to at least, was really ashamed of what happened.

But man were they rubbish in that final game. Tough way to lose and I don't want to get too high and mighty about rioting given that we have to play Millwall next season...

I've never been a sports person (played hockey growing up and had fun, but never really followed professional sports), but if I were, living in Pittsburgh would put me off of it. There are lots of stories of sports-related stabbings, and vandalism doesn't just confine itself to when the teams lose. Of course, it usually happens in one of the college neighborhoods, so you've got a bunch of drunk frat-boy stereotypes looking for a reason to act out.

My personal favorite was seeing an old sofa (which often becomes porch furniture) placed on top of a parked car and set on fire. I can't even remember if it was because they won or lost...

Kudos to the TRUE fans who showed up the next day to help clean up afterwards-also taking into their own hands to create a facebook page to encourage pics taken of people so they can be sent to authorities.

I know I've watched a few programs on the stuff that goes on at Football matches in Europe, and the way you speak Nick it's almost a way of life sometimes-I guess that's just part of the culture.

I mean if I walked with a Leafs jersey in Vancouver, I might get some ribbing on any given day-I'm under the impression in some places in UK/Europe, you wear the wrong jersey in the wrong town you'll be lucky to escape with your limbs intact!

Back