Canon Vixia HF R100

I am currently looking to buy the Canon Vixia HF R100. The reason it caught my attention was one, the HD recording, but also the mic input. Very few cameras in this price range have a mic input. After viewing some reviews and test videos on youtube, the quality looks fantastic. I am on a very limited budget, but want a good quality video. Is there any chance I can achieve near TV show quality with a camera like this? if not, what is the cheapest camera I can find with the best quality, preferably a name brand. Thanks for any help, I appreciate it.

I am currently looking to buy the Canon Vixia HF R100. The reason it caught my attention was one, the HD recording, but also the mic input. Very few cameras in this price range have a mic input. After viewing some reviews and test videos on youtube, the quality looks fantastic. I am on a very limited budget, but want a good quality video. Is there any chance I can achieve near TV show quality with a camera like this? if not, what is the cheapest camera I can find with the best quality, preferably a name brand. Thanks for any help, I appreciate it.

Please note my budget is EXTREMELY limited, so I cant buy a canon camera for 1k. I understand theres consumer, then professional, not much in between. Just trying to find one that can give me good quality.

It's a fine little camera.

As you have heard (read) me say before, the camera is only
one aspect of "good quality" video. Sure, the image from
that little camera is quite nice, but with some skill, experience
and talent you can get some very good images.

Don't expect the camera alone to achieve near TV show quality.
his one won't. No camera in the under $1,000 range will. But
with a lot of work, you can get very close.

It's a fine little camera.

As you have heard (read) me say before, the camera is only
one aspect of "good quality" video. Sure, the image from
that little camera is quite nice, but with some skill, experience
and talent you can get some very good images.

Don't expect the camera alone to achieve near TV show quality.
his one won't. No camera in the under $1,000 range will. But
with a lot of work, you can get very close.

thanks, thats exactly what I wanted to hear. I figure I'll work hard with this, and in the future take the 1,000 dollar plunge. Thanks!

You can do well w/ that cam...master it then you will be ready for bigger n better.. you will have issues w/ that cam .. you will have issues w/ the 5D DSLR.... you will have far far fewer issues w/ a pro $10,000 cam

can you make something good w/ the cam you are thinking of ...yes

Best thing I can say is learn lighting, camera movement, composition. You will soon see that you will need better sound like using external sound capture, but even a $55 Audio Technica ATR 55 plugged into the cam can get passable so-so sound if you work at it. It's all about learning

I had a Canon HV20 and did a feature with it. I did not have a clue what I was doing, but I made a feature..

Last edited:
Yeah, I think I'll go ahead and buy it, my next question is, is the upgrade worth it? I'm using an 150 dollar Samsung SMX-F40. It doesn't have a mic output, so I have to record separately which is a pain, and it only shoots in 720, less then this Canon one. I'm wondering if those 2 options are worth the upgrade to this Canon.

I think plugging my shotgun mic into it is a HUGE plus for my editing, and the lens seems to be a bit better.

Last edited:
OOPs.. I thought yours was a version similar to the HV20.. I see that it lacks manual controls... You might consider a Canon Mini DV cam w/ manual controls. You really need manual focus and manual exposure controls to shoot decent video. You can get a canon optura 40 or 60 used for under $200

HOWEVER the one you mentioned will work for learning

Indiebudget, I read that too, but I believe that the cnet list of features is not quite correct. I downloaded the manual and It does have a way to focus manually, just not a focus ring. Manual focus is achieved through the joystick mounted on the LCD, just like my more expensive Viaxx HFS100. Interestingly, one reason I bought the HFS100 was to get THE assignable knob that would give me a ring to turn for focus, turns out I never use it! The joystick is easier and more conveniently located, also, for my hand held rigs I used the remote control to focus.

It has SOME limited exposure adjustments. Very limited tweaks on Program AE, which is likely just a gain adjust. Saving grace might be the cine mode and 24p.

Indiebudget, I read that too, but I believe that the cnet list of features is not quite correct. I downloaded the manual and It does have a way to focus manually, just not a focus ring. Manual focus is achieved through the joystick mounted on the LCD, just like my more expensive Viaxx HFS100. Interestingly, one reason I bought the HFS100 was to get THE assignable knob that would give me a ring to turn for focus, turns out I never use it! The joystick is easier and more conveniently located, also, for my hand held rigs I used the remote control to focus.

It has SOME limited exposure adjustments. Very limited tweaks on Program AE, which is likely just a gain adjust. Saving grace might be the cine mode and 24p.

With this in mind will I be ok with this camera then?

You will be okay with that camera. It is not the best camera
available and it won't do everything a top of the line camera
will do. But you will be okay with that camera.

Or...

You should get a different one.

I'll just disregard "You should get a different one" because that's amazingly unhelpful and in-descriptive and go ahead and buy the camera. :) . I got a chance to play around with it at the store, it's a nice feel to it, and I think the mic jack alone wins me over.

OOPs.. I thought yours was a version similar to the HV20.. I see that it lacks manual controls... You might consider a Canon Mini DV cam w/ manual controls. You really need manual focus and manual exposure controls to shoot decent video. You can get a canon optura 40 or 60 used for under $200

HOWEVER the one you mentioned will work for learning

I have one of those Opturas, actually the only video camera I own. I use it to film auditions, etc... bought it used off Craigslist about a year ago for $200.

I apologize. I was making what I thought was clearly
a joke. I won't joke with you again. Sorry about that.

Yeah I know your kidding, I am too.

Anyway, thought I'd follow up on what I ended up doing. I got the upgraded Canon Vixia HF-M30. It has all the same features except it also has manual focus, built in 8G memory, and a few more small options the other one didn't have, such as night recording and a light.

I attached it to an Opteka X Grip, (you can check it out on Youtube, great deal for 30 bucks), and mounted the camera in the middle, and the shotgun mic on top of it into the camera. It has a handle to hold with just the X-grip, or I can attach it to a tripod for added support.

Anyway, the camera was on sale 200 bucks off, got it for 400, seemed like a pretty good deal. I think the manual focus and built in memory were worth the few extra bucks.

Back