Canon T3i / 600D RAW Finally available!

That vid gave me no new info tho...
Can you record full HD raw now? (And how, what change has been made since last try?)
Is the post workflow the same with .dng file series or has that been changed?
Can I record 16:9 or do I still have to compromise aspect ratio for barely 1280 quality?
Those are still my main questions and I don't plan on trying for the umpteenth time unless someone proves it can be done while maintaining frame rate, at least 1280 quality at 16:9 ratio. I don't mind the post workflow but I still haven't been able to get just basic HD settings yet. It's a waste of time on the 600d last I checked...

Raw video is something the 600d is incapable of. Mainly because the card and camera write speed isn't fast enough. The most recent unstable hack I checked was still unable to shoot decent raw video. I spent basically all of September and October trying and I couldn't do it. The cameras are just not fast enough. Ya wanna do raw video, basically you have to have a 5diii

why dont you go and get an atomos ninja 2 clean hdmi recorder, saves you from screwing around.

Does this work with the t3i? I was under the impression that canon hadn't enabled full-quality, clean HD output through HDMI on anything other than the 5DmkIII. And besides, once you've got a t3i+ninja you might as well just get a bm pocket camera and get prores & raw on board with a lot less complication.

I check in on the technologies about once every week when it's first announced, then once a month and once every other as time goes on. This is new to me as last time I checked, the T3i wasn't on the list of cameras that could make it happen (about a month ago). The reason I don't go with the ninja is that it costs money tat I don't currently have access to. I just saved up for a couple of months to get a new budget friendly lens. Free is a much better price at this point in my life.

And yes, T3i / 600D. The menus show that you can select your frame size (probably not true HD due to hardware constraints ever) and it'll tell you what speed card you need to be able to record it consistently. The faster the card you have (up to the top speed of the SD Bus), the higher res you can capture. But I was shooting good looking SD that blew up to cinema screens just fine… carefully controlling the lighting to account for the low latitude of DV. This opens that up, the resolution is important, but I feel the latitude is a bigger deal when going for the "non-video" (film) look. Being able to see into the shadows and the highlights at the same time is huge. I'm willing to sacrifice a little capture resolution for that… in the same way that if you want real slow motion, you're sacrificing spatial resolution for temporal resolution. It would be great to have both, but I'm at a T3i budget when the T5i was released and available for purchase… I'm happy with the release of it and the possibilities it presents. It's no longer a "this is how you will use this camera" single option, there are different options for differing lighting environments now. Yes, it's a trade off -- if you want to capture a scene using it. I prefer to have a large set of brushes to use in my paint kit… up to this point, I've had a medium and a large brush. Now I get a fine point one to use… I have to make smaller canvases with it, but it's another option.

The first unstable hack for the t3i that included raw video was released early September.

After testing (every new ML releaae for over a momth). I found that I was able to shoot (mostly) continuous 24fps raw video at 960x540 resolution. And yes, I do see certain times when I will use this, but 9/10 times I would rather double my resolution. Personal preference maybe, but still, the best the 600d hack can accomplish (last I tried in late October) is only half resolution...not for me.

I'm waiting for the option to record 10 bit raw rather than 14, but that wasn't an option on the latest tragic lantern update I tried. I would imagine (and heard rumors) that 10 vs 14 bit raw recording options would probably make enough difference for the write speed on the t3i (maxes out at around 23mbps and yes, sd cards can be fast enough, the problem lies in the cameras write speed ability and where that maxes out on the t3i makes this such a difficult task), but I would have no idea how to program that myself, so until someone else makes these improvements and proves it, my advice would be that it's more trouble than its worth. Continuous recording is not perfect, post workflow is much slower, among other issues.

These were my issues with it on the 600d, I'm not saying don't try, I just hope that by sharing my difficulties will help others make quicker advances in t3i raw recording techniques. And when you do it, show me how please haha

After testing (every new ML releaae for over a momth). I found that I was able to shoot (mostly) continuous 24fps raw video at 960x540 resolution. And yes, I do see certain times when I will use this, but 9/10 times I would rather double my resolution.

Just curious, have you compared this scaled in post to the full hd signal out of the camera on the same scene? The actual measurable resolution of the canon dslrs isn't even close to 1920x1080, may actually be lower than 720p. The amount of detail in the raw samples I've seen is dramatically higher than compressed, so I wouldn't expect a huge difference in terms of actual resolved detail despite it being half the pixel resolution.

Just curious, have you compared this scaled in post to the full hd signal out of the camera on the same scene?

Fair point the compression is ridiculous. Will do this on my weekend (which doesn't end til Tuesday! Work was cancelled tomorrow due to cold!!) and I will post my findings here and in the screening room.

But even so, the raw recording isn't worth it for other reasons: skipping frames, no good playback in cam option. Slow slow post workflow. Really my two main reasons. But I'll post tests later

why dont you go and get an atomos ninja 2 clean hdmi recorder, saves you from screwing around.
I thought all but the recent 5d3 had overlays and 4:0:0 hdmi output. The latest 5d3 firmware gives clean 4:2:2 output with timecode.

The ML hack lists how long each camera can record, from a few frames to continuous (like the 5d3).

I haven't looked at tragic lantern stuff, though, so maybe they solved some of those issues.

how much bandwidth does the sd card need for this ?
95 MB/s?

there are some CF cards that seem cheaper..

with all these hacks i feel like the t3i is more versatile than a lot of more expensive cameras

This isn't a very expansive test, but I did it right before bed, just messing around.

I made it double blind, read to the bottom of the description for answers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mHW2aD_e3c

I plan to do some more with a mini-project later this week. Hopefully that turns out, and I'll share it.

Very interesting, thanks for doing the test. I actually disagree with your conclusion - personally I preferred the h.264 for clarity & detail, and would conclude I was wrong about the detail available at half res in raw.

That is a cool test though. I was wrong about which piece of footage was which when I stared deeply into the split screen looking for tell tale signs. The fact that I couldn't tell right away is interesting to say the least… although I was watching it at 720p, which puts them both on solid ground for resolution. I was making my judgement based on the gradations in the mids and low mids.

Back