• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Canon T2i and 1/48 shutter speed

I'm not saying he doesn't have to pay attention to shutter speed. But in relation to frame-rate, it has no bearing. The shutter doesn't move in video mode - it just stays open (this is why you can't see anything through your eyepiece - the shutter is open). I'm not sure how exactly the "shutter speed" is digitally created, but all of the most reliable info I can find is that the shutter isn't moving.

the still portion of the DSLR uses a mechanical shutter to decide how long the sensor is exposed to light for each frame.

For video, this function is preformed by cmos gating circuitry. Both will be called shutter

Oh, man, leave it to wheatgrinder to take this discussion to Nerdtown! ;)

I don't know what CMOS is!!!

I do know, however, that my original point is still correct. wheat, you can call it whatever you want, but you're "shutter" isn't an actual shutter. Clearly, I was talking about an actual moving object. That is different. And it should be treated differently.

Shooting film, shutter speed and frame-rate need to match (like, 24FPS = 1/48 shutter speed). Shooting DSLR, it doesn't matter, because no physical objects need to line up with each other.

If you shoot DSLR 24p 1/30, you are shooting 24 frames, each exposed for 1/30th of a second. If you shoot 24p 1/100, you are shooting 24 frames, each exposed for 1/100th of a second. If you are shooting 30p, 1/100, you are shooting 30 frames, each exposed for 1/100th of a second. If you are shooting 60p, 1/30, you are God, because that is mathematically impossible.

My point? DSLR and film are different. In this respect, the relationship between frame-rate and "shutter"-speed does not matter. Shoot at the frame-rate you want. Shoot at the shutter-speed you want.

"Oh, man, leave it to wheatgrinder to take this discussion to Nerdtown!

I don't know what CMOS is!!!"

Then maybe you shouldn't be dispensing advice when you have no idea what you are talking about?

"Oh, man, leave it to wheatgrinder to take this discussion to Nerdtown!

I don't know what CMOS is!!!"

Then maybe you shouldn't be dispensing advice when you have no idea what you are talking about?

You haven't been here long enough to dispense advice on dispensing advice. CMOS is a computer processor. I build my own PC's. I don't know everything about everything about computers. I'm quite sure wheatgrinder can easily one-up me, in this respect. But I do know that an actual shutter is different than an electrical connection of tiny wires, controlled by 1's and 0's.

Do you have anything valuable to add to this discussion, polfilmblah?

I do know, however, that my original point is still correct. wheat, you can call it whatever you want, but you're "shutter" isn't an actual shutter. Clearly, I was talking about an actual moving object. That is different. And it should be treated differently.

Shooting film, shutter speed and frame-rate need to match (like, 24FPS = 1/48 shutter speed). Shooting DSLR, it doesn't matter, because no physical objects need to line up with each other.

If you shoot DSLR 24p 1/30, you are shooting 24 frames, each exposed for 1/30th of a second. If you shoot 24p 1/100, you are shooting 24 frames, each exposed for 1/100th of a second. If you are shooting 30p, 1/100, you are shooting 30 frames, each exposed for 1/100th of a second. If you are shooting 60p, 1/30, you are God, because that is mathematically impossible.

My point? DSLR and film are different. In this respect, the relationship between frame-rate and "shutter"-speed does not matter. Shoot at the frame-rate you want. Shoot at the shutter-speed you want.

Without wanting to sound too British, you're talking out of your arse Cracker. Whether electronic or physical, shutter speed has an effect on the feel and motion blur of the final shot. When shooting film, shutter speed and frame rate do not have to match up - a 180° shutter simply gives the most natural and pleasing looking motion blur, and so is the most commonly used. On Saving Private Ryan, Janusz Kamiński used a 90° and 45° (effectively 1/96 and 1/192 second) shutter for some of the beach scenes to create the famous stuttery, strobing effect.

Shutter speed only "does not matter" if you don't give a shit what the final shot looks like.

Without wanting to sound too British, you're talking out of your arse Cracker. Whether electronic or physical, shutter speed has an effect on the feel and motion blur of the final shot. When shooting film, shutter speed and frame rate do not have to match up - a 180° shutter simply gives the most natural and pleasing looking motion blur, and so is the most commonly used. On Saving Private Ryan, Janusz Kamiński used a 90° and 45° (effectively 1/96 and 1/192 second) shutter for some of the beach scenes to create the famous stuttery, strobing effect.

Shutter speed only "does not matter" if you don't give a shit what the final shot looks like.

No, no, you've mis-read my point. I'm ONLY saying that shutter-speed does not have anything to do with frame-rate in the DSLR-world. You can shoot at whatever frame-rate you want, and whichever shutter-speed you want. They have NO bearing on each other.

I'm still waiting for somebody to tell me how I'm wrong.

chilipie, you're my girl, but c'mon -- you just completely missed the boat on this conversation. The OP is asking if it's OK to shoot at 1/50, and 24P. In film-world, that would not match. In digital-world, that just means you're shooting 24 frames per second, each frame exposed for 1/50th of a second.

In film world, you could shoot 24fps at 1/50 if you wanted to, or 24fps 1/96 as they did on Saving Private Ryan.

I'M NOT SAYING SHUTTER-SPEED DOESN'T MATTER!!!!

Shooting DSLR, it doesn't matter, because no physical objects need to line up with each other.

DSLR and film are different. In this respect, the relationship between frame-rate and "shutter"-speed does not matter.

It matters as much (or as little) for shooting film as it does for shooting digital. Nobody says you must use a 180° shutter, and there's really very little difference between a 1/48, 1/50 and 1/60 shutter speed, but that doesn't mean shutter speed doesn't matter.

I'm only answering the ORIGINAL question from the OP. And I feel like I can say this definitively -- it does not matter what frame-rate you are shooting at -- you can select whichever shutter-speed will best fit your desired-look.

Of course - it's as important as choosing the ISO/ASA your sensor or film stock and the aperture of the lens, all of which make a difference to the final picture.

You don't sound too Brittish, chilipie, you sound like you didn't read the original question, and that is the only thing I am answering.

I did, I just can't understand your answer :)

Oo, crafty edit :D

No, no, you've mis-read my point. I'm ONLY saying that shutter-speed does not have anything to do with frame-rate in the DSLR-world. You can shoot at whatever frame-rate you want, and whichever shutter-speed you want. They have NO bearing on each other.

I'm still waiting for somebody to tell me how I'm wrong.

What's your point? Film cameras have to mechanically advance film, so while you can't do a 360° shutter like you can digitally (1/24 at 24fps), by your definition frame-rate and shutter-speed have no bearing on each other whatever format you shoot in.

Complimentary
Metal
Oxide
Semiconductor

now you know..

no video cameras that I know of use a physical shutter.

the electronic shutter is not virtual.

If the CMOS gate is allowed to collect to much light, then that cell will literally overfill with photons causing causing almost the exact same effect on the sensor as having a physical shutter open too long has on film. If this were not so, then the nice DSLR you have would NOT have a physical shutter for still photography.

To OP:

Just remember, for your regular look, you want ur shutter to be 1/50 or 1/60 on ur DSLR when shooting 24fps.

You can raise the shutter speed or lower it for different effects. Raising it will get you a more staccato kind of motion and lowering it will give u a blurrier or dream like look.

Just go to a website and look at some tests.

To Cracker:

You're losing it man! *slaps him across the face* Get a grip on yourself! :lol::lol:

Last edited:
To Cracker:

You're losing it man! *slaps him across the face* Get a grip on yourself! :lol::lol:

:lol:

Thanks, I needed that. Sorry I got crazy, ya'll.

Okay, it seems a few people are confused about what I'm saying. I'm gonna try one last time, and maybe I can phrase it differently.

Concerning the relationship between shutter speed and frame-rate, film and DSLR are different, and this difference starts with how shutter speed works in the different cameras.

In film, and actual shutter is moving. It is a physical object, rotating around in a circle. On most Hollywood productions, they want the shutter-speed to "match" (if we can use that terminology just for the sake of this conversation, please), as in using 1/48 for 24FPS. This gives it a more smooth "natural" feel. As it's been discussed already, often times (best example being "Saving Private Ryan") a director will intentionally choose a shutter-speed that doesn't "match" the frame-rate. Doing so will give the film a "choppy" look, because as that little 180 frame rotates around, it's not lining-perfectly with each new frame, because they're moving at different speeds.

On this much, we can agree. I think we all get how the relationship between frame-rate and shutter-speed works in film, no?

(EDIT: Actually, it seems I didn't quite understand how film shutter-speed works. I just did some reading on it, and now I get it -- re-posting my new thoughts).

Last edited:
In film world, you could shoot 24fps at 1/50 if you wanted to, or 24fps 1/96 as they did on Saving Private Ryan.

It matters as much (or as little) for shooting film as it does for shooting digital. Nobody says you must use a 180° shutter, and there's really very little difference between a 1/48, 1/50 and 1/60 shutter speed, but that doesn't mean shutter speed doesn't matter.

Of course - it's as important as choosing the ISO/ASA your sensor or film stock and the aperture of the lens, all of which make a difference to the final picture.

I did, I just can't understand your answer :)

Not fair -- you quoted me out of context. I call shenanigans. :)

I'm not saying shutter speed doesn't matter at all, ever. I'm just saying that in this particular aspect -- the relationship between shutter-speed and frame-rate -- it doesn't matter. In fact, what I'm trying to say is that in DSLR, there is no relationship -- the two settings have nothing to do with each other.

Back