Canon 7D, t2i, t3i - Which looks the most cinematic with the basic lens?

To me they all look very similar. I think Canon 5D has the best cinematic look. But Canon 7D and t2i or t3i look roughly the same. Though I might be wrong. With the basic lens that they give you in a kit (usually 18-55mm,) which one do you think has a video quality that looks more movie-like?

To me they all look very similar. I think Canon 5D has the best cinematic look. But Canon 7D and t2i or t3i look roughly the same. Though I might be wrong. With the basic lens that they give you in a kit (usually 18-55mm,) which one do you think has a video quality that looks more movie-like?

as a beginner myself, i can say that you havent studied or researched about lenses or anything, so my first advice would be to first decide your budget, also study about lenses, as im my opinion the lens has much more to do with it than the camera itself, theres hardly any difference between the t2i and t3i, i myself opted for the t3i and am happy with it, i hear in general it is the entry level video dslr, or you could take a look into the gh2, which i hear is popular.

Yup, same sensor and codec so if you hit it with the same settings it should be identical.

Now, the nicer bodies have more options and the 7D has the best monitor of the bunch. You can't trust the color on a rebel's monitor, but you absolutely can on a 7D.

The 7D is probably worth the extra money, if you can afford it. If not, stick with a t2i or t3i. I love my t3i but if you're on a super limited budget, a t2i will be fine. At this level of camera, it's all about lighting, lenses, etc. to provide the best image you can get; the bodies are nearly identical.

Just to clarify, I was talking about the built in monitor. Yes, the 7D is the only one with 720 output, but it's also the only one of the bunch with a decent built-in monitor/viewfinder.

I was all set to get my Canon 7D, when I saw this t3i test footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6eTZwPMKsU

Beautiful. However, I'm sure that lens is extra and doesn't come with most kits.

I think I'll go with the 7D because it's got more weight to it and it's a tiny bit more rain resistant.

But THANK YOU guys for all the help. It helped me out much more than the comparison videos on youtube.

The 5D2 is the deal of the used market right now. Pretty easily found for $1400 to $1500 (the price of a new 7D) as owners dump them to buy the MK3.

Oh I just thought of something.

The t2i and t3i have a flip display, which I would think allow you to film from more angles. I mean you could film the same footage with the Canon 7D, but without the flip display wouldn't that make it a lot of guess work?

To anyone with a t2i or t3i, has the flip display ever really helped you out on set or given you more flexible options with filming?

I know a dude who spent the extra money on the 7D, and has always regretted it. In a nutshell, the 7D has a number of features that makes it a much better camera for a professional photographer (still photography). For filmmakers, you're spending an awful lot for not much more.

I know a dude who spent the extra money on the 7D, and has always regretted it. In a nutshell, the 7D has a number of features that makes it a much better camera for a professional photographer (still photography). For filmmakers, you're spending an awful lot for not much more.

I'd agree with that too. On the video side it doesn't buy you much for an extra $700 or $800 dollars.

Filming without a monitor is cinematography malpractice. Maybe YOU can focus and frame well with that tiny screen, but I sure can't.

Filming without a monitor is cinematography malpractice. Maybe YOU can focus and frame well with that tiny screen, but I sure can't.
That's kinda what I was wondering on the sidelines here watching this conversation.

If you're gonna try to make anything approaching professional you pretty much HAVE TO use an ext. monitor.

Shooting using the on board 3" screen is tantamount to not using a tripod while also collecting all your audio with the onboard mic.
Puh-leeeeze!! Don't.

A "good" monitor (like the DP-6) not only gives you a bigger image it also includes features like custom masking (say you intended to render the final product as 2.35:1 there is a preset that masks the image to 2.35:1), false color (for exposure), focus assist (puts an exaggerated sharp line around the objects in focus), etc... I don't own any auto-focus lenses so I even use it for (studio) stills.

We use an external as often as we can, but shoot at least half without it. There's a lot of situations I find myself in where there isn't time to set up the external monitor, check batteries etc. I use the magnification, check focus and go to town!

Tried that a handful of times with a friend's t2i and I was about ready to chunk it out the window. You can do it with the resolution on the 7d monitor, but not a rebel.

HardWorkinFilmSlave said:
The t2i and t3i have a flip display

The T2i does not have a flip display.

If you will be working without an external monitor, having a flippable display on the camera is very useful.

If you will be using an external monitor (mounted on camera cage, or similar)... not so big a deal.

I bought a T2i over the T3i to save the $100 difference in price. If I had to do it again, I'd get the T3i.

Gonzo said:
A "good" monitor (like the DP-6) not only gives you a bigger image it also includes features like custom masking (say you intended to render the final product as 2.35:1 there is a preset that masks the image to 2.35:1), false color (for exposure), focus assist (puts an exaggerated sharp line around the objects in focus), etc...

The 3rd-party firmware upgrade Magic Lantern can accomodate all of those needs.

The lo-res HDMI-out is still an issue, but for budget-conscious filmmakers a Rebel is still extremely viable.

Rayw said:
If you're gonna try to make anything approaching professional you pretty much HAVE TO use an ext. monitor.

Even a lo-res external monitor is better than the onboard LCD screen. It's not uncommon for the director to need to be able to see what's going on, either live or in review... and tiny screen ain't so hot for that.

Back