Canon 5d Lenses?

Hey guys, I recently purchased a Canon 5d MarkII and was wondering what lenses you would recommend for shooting video? Primes or zooms etc...? Thanks

IMHO: Get as many primes as you can afford, but that can get spendy.

The L series zooms are good and you can usually cover a variety of focal lengths with just a couple of them.

Yeah, three good primes that cover a decent range, like a 35, 50 and 85 are going to cost you about 1200. and one medium zoom (L series) is going to be about the same like the 24-70mm.

Which choice is right for you? Depends on what you're filming. Are you going to be in extreme low light situations? What kind of shoots will you be on with what kind of maneuverability? etc etc.

Hey guys, I recently purchased a Canon 5d MarkII and was wondering what lenses you would recommend for shooting video? Primes or zooms etc...? Thanks

The 24mm 1.4 on the 5d for a wide is amazing. Been mainly shooting time lapse with this setup, not cheap but you'll love it

As a cost saving measure, since you won't be using autofocus anyway, you could get FD mount lenses instead of EOS. They are manual only but you could get some really great quality glass at a fraction of the cost.

An EOS to FD adapter usually runs around 30 bucks and can easily be found on eBay.

Personally I think primes are the way to go, unless you are actually using the zoom in a shot, leave those alone.

I use old Nikkor lenses on the 5Dmk2. Stunning results. I have a 24/2.0, 35/1.4, 50/1.4, 80/1.8 and 135/2.8. They are not as sharp as the Canon Primes, but it has that dreamy film-like feel to them. And they are relatively cheaper.

Just something to think about...

I just bought a 28mm f2.8 mini-wide FD lens + adapter for dirt cheap, but is this actually going to be better than the 550d kit lens? It's advertised as a wide angle which is what i needed.

Thanks ernest, the reviews seemed pretty good, was wondering if it will be wider than my 18-55 kit lens. Are there any problems with FD zoom lenses when using them with an adapter on a dslr (550d)? There are a lot of very cheap zoom lenses at around £30 for 210mm.

sorry abt the double post.

and 28mm wont be wider than 18mm

if u have the money, try checking out the tokina 11-16mm

i havent used FD lenses myself but i dont think there should be a problem in manual focus mode.

ur better off with primes with video or if u want zooms than i would recommend high end zooms. they cost more than a grand.

Back