film-school Can going to film school make a aspiring filmmaker successful?

Can going to film school make an aspiring filmmaker successful? Or is it more about the film student on who he or she is and what can he/she bring to the table?

Why only a few succeed after years of graduation?

Film school does not guarantee a successful career because success
in film depends not on a degree but mostly on luck – making the right
movie for the right audience at the right time.

You can be educated in film and still not be a creative film maker. You
can not have a degree at all and be a very creative film maker. You can
be creative film maker and still not be a success. If success means money
or even a long career.

First of all, what is a film maker? A director, editor, writer, camera person.....
I've never gone, but I've been told it's about talent, of course, but also networking- meeting the right people.

Film school introduces you to the filmmaker's toolbox, and how to use those tools. It also teaches you what the "rules" are, so that you can either abide by those rules, or creatively break those rules. Also, in film school, if there are 12 people in your class, you will be working as a crew member on 12 films. You will learn from all of the collective mistakes that are made...and there will be a lot of them.

Last edited:
I'm glad to hear things have changed in film school.

I never when, however I worked on several student productions
during my first few years breaking in. The reason was if there were
12 students in a class 2 of them wanted to be producers and 10
wanted to direct. And none of the directors wanted to spend their
time working on someone else's movie.

I essentially when to USC and AFI's Center for Advanced Film Studies
by working on 4 or 5 student films a year. There and the Roger Corman
School of Film is where I learned so much about making movies.

Can going to film school make an aspiring filmmaker successful? Or is it more about the film student on who he or she is and what can he/she bring to the table?

Yes and no. Film School can create lifelong relationships that resonate for years. Film schools can make referrals to alumni that can help with landing jobs.

Film School cannot create talent. No matter how great the school, the onus is still on you to apply for jobs, get work, create films, write good scripts and "succeed" however you define that word.

Back