• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Camera space? Cards or what?

Not sure if this is the right thread either.

I just shot a little probably won't even be a minute short film on my girlfriends camera. I'm starting to use it over mine because it get a lot better quality and i like to use SD cards.

So i just shot it and i found an HD setting so i used it. it's like 15 different takes. Some last a minute some 15 seconds and it is almost out of memory on 2.0 GB. What would you do about this?

I'm going to be using this setup for awhile so what do you think i should do? Buy like five 8 gb? But thats pretty expensive for me.

Advice?

don't complain, buy bigger cards. The better the quality the more space is used. 2.0GB is a tiny card. 16gb at Fredmyers for $30. Confirm what is the max size your camera can use. Iv read of folks on here buying the newest fastest cards only to find they dont work on their 2 year old cameras.

The amount of "HD" you shot sounds about right for filling up a tiny 2GB card.
You shooting at 720 or 1080?

Check the camera's instructions first to see if it has a 16 or 32GB SD card limit before springing the extra nickles for a card which will be worth it.

Yup! 4gb is ~ 12 minutes. That's the easiest way to remember it.

I bought some high speed 16gb SDHC cards for about $25 each two years ago, and most of the reviews I read about the cheap eBay Transcend class 10 cards are retry positive for video.

Remember to stay fast, slow cards can't keep up with video.

And be glad you aren't on a Comapct Flash system! I was at a shoot out of town last weekend and desperate for some extra space so I had to swing by Best Buy on the way to a location. $88 for a medium speed 16gb Sandisk CF card. Only one they had. Fortunately it ended up being fast enough, but still, paid more than twice what I would have online haha.

Either i missed it or we still dont know which camera u have.

Other than the size, you have to make sure you get the right class or speed. For eg for DSLR's and CF cards, it is advisable to have at least 30mbps but 60mbps is preferred just incase.

Back