Bullet Hits

I have searched through the internet now for a bit and I can't find a damn thing. I was wondering how exactly to make a bullet hit effect on a few things. These "things" are a white wall (found in every house in america), a couch, and a car. I don't have the budget to actually shoot these things and I was wondering if there is a way to get that dust kick of a bullet hitting an object(not a person). Any advice would help be it in post production or some type of trick I can use on the set.

I just did a bit of reading on this, but I am getting mixed responses. I read that you need a sweeney gun to fire these paintballs and a regular paintball gun wont do it. I have also tried looking for places to purchase these dust filled paintballs and I am coming up empty.

I have impact graphics from videocopilot.net. They have the Action Movie Essentials. They work great. Also have bullet holes.

I would try that, but I don't Adobe After Effects, too expensive for my liking. I have Effects Lab Pro. I'm not too sure what I am going to do. I guess I'll have to improvise with camera movement and good sound effects, which would have been required anyway. That's just the fun of making movies, improvising. It's really amazing what you can create if you are creative enough.

You may be able to find a CG artist to work for you for free (or extremely cheap). You'd be surprised how many teenagers are savvy with Max or Maya or After Effects. As long as you trust them with your footage. You can find some CG sites with forums (they are everywhere), and post a request.

It's pretty easy for a CG artist to add blood splatter--whether subtle or outrageous.

We use a gentleman named John Dusek...super skilled, super cheap, super fast. He's on Myspace here: www.myspace.com/illfadedfilmsvfx

You can see some of his recent FX on our latest feature here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5yBfouKhXw

He lives in Arizona...we did all of our footage exchanges via FTP. Believe me...it works.

One trick I read in a book (can't remember the name), take a frig magnet and wrap it in aluminum foil then pull back the foil on one side. Attach the foil covered side on the car.

If you are not too close the illusion will look decent.

Back