• Popcorn Points determine how popular a video is. You can click the popcorn bucket or simply react (Like, Love, etc.) and it will register a vote.

Buddy Vs. Buddy - Short VFX Fight!!!

I was just about to take out the trash and was attacked by.... myself!?!

A week of work for 15 seconds.... 😅
Enjoy the fight and the behind the scenes!

P.S.:
I watched the video countless times during the editing process, of course.
And I really am a perfectionist.
BUT!!!
I made a mistake in the fight sequence.
I'm annoyed and I REALLY can't believe I didn't notice it.
But it's too late. Video is rendered and already uploaded everywhere.
(Got my routine where I upload it everywhere).
Still annoying.
Because it makes a certain scene look amateurish and I know HAD I noticed it, I would have changed it too.
But it is what it is.
Do you guys recognize what scene (It's only a few frames) it's about?

Anyway, have fun watching. :)

Upvote 5
Your welcome. I appreciate how difficult that was to choreograph. I've done the cloning a few times. This was one of my first attempts, about 12 years ago. I wanted to do the 360 walking around myself.

Stupid Guy

ok, time to quit talking about a guy slapping someone and turn my focus to someone who actually did something impressive.

Great job man, I know how much work this takes, and it turned out great! Congratulations.

Buddy, man. I agree. This is awsome. Beautifully made and entertaining. And, no, I don't see anything that looks "amateurish." What do you think was your mistake?

Just watched again. Nope, can't see it. But this time I was impressed with the sound. Again, nice job :)

Last edited:
ok, time to quit talking about a guy slapping someone and turn my focus to someone who actually did something impressive.

Great job man, I know how much work this takes, and it turned out great! Congratulations.
So. I have to be honest, it feels good to be praised for your work.
It motivates me a lot!
Especially because I only do this as a hobby.
Professionally, I do something completely different.

Thank you so much for your praise, Nate!

Great work. I've done many split screen edits, and many fight sequences. Never both at once, though.
Thank you very much!
But believe me, sometimes I would have loved to dismantle everything in anger and frustration.
Not everything went as smoothly as it might seem in the video.

Buddy, man. I agree. This is awsome. Beautifully made and entertaining. And, no, I don't see anything that looks "amateurish." What do you think was your mistake?

Just watched again. Nope, can't see it. But this time I was impressed with the sound. Again, nice job :)
Thanks a lot!!
Okay I'll tell you.
Take a look at scene 1.
My left self gets hit and goes out of the picture.
Then he comes back and does his first punch.
This is exactly the part that bothers me extremely!
There are a few frames missing between "standing" and "hitting".
The movement changes IMMEDIATELY from standing to hitting.
Also, it looks like he is sliding forward.
As if you want to compensate for the fact that he is standing too far away.

For some reason, I only ever paid attention to the right.
And then my girlfriend pointed it out to me.
She said, "Ouh, that first punch looks weird."
And then I said, "It can't be."
But she was right.

And since then I don't see anything else. 🤣😅

Edit:
Of course, you don't notice things like that until you've already uploaded it everywhere....🤯

Last edited:
It looked pretty good, a little "Matrix" slow-mo feeling at times and the last punch a little Sreet Fighter, but solid work.

Good work. When you have a full short or fight scene you feel good about, I like to see you enter my festival GAINESCON. Go to GainesCon.com for details. Keep up the good work. :clap:

Cool. I am very impressed with the choreography, but more than that, I think your comp work is great. I assume the color sub-sampling was 4-2-0 or 4-1-1..? With that in mind, you preserved the motion blur very well. I think you're ready to go pro, kid :metal:

Last edited:
Cool. I am very impressed with the choreography, but more than that, I think your comp work is great. I assume the color sub-sampling was 4-2-0 or 4-1-1..? With that in mind, you preserved the motion blur very well. I think you're ready to go pro, kid :metal:
Hello, I am very happy about this praise.
Thank you!

GainesCon.com
Hey GainesCon,
That sounds interesting.
This video is part of a 4 minute VFX action video in which I fight myself with various artifacts for 4 minutes.
I'd say I'm at 70%.
I hope to have the video done in October.

It's hard to do everything on my own and to take care of social media presence at the same time.
You also want to be noticed.
I'm sure many of you know this.

But back to your offer.
When I have finished the video, I will contact you.
🙂

Last edited:
Back