boom mic

hello, i know this has probably been asked a million times, but I would really appreciate it if you could help us with our sound problem. a group of friends are starting to record and we have a major mic problem. I am just wondering, seeing as 80% of the scenes will require a boomed mic, which one should we get? our main problem is wind noise and ambient sound that makes it impossible to successfully merge various sound effects and music into our recordings. the hissing sound is not bearable.
so is there a relatively cheap recorder that is simple and does a good job at recording outdoor conversations?
i was thinking of the h1 at first, but then I started to doubt if that could work for us.. I'm guessing booming the h1 would do more harm than good right? anyways, any tips for a mic that will suit our needs and is under 200-250$?

The main issue here isn't going to be the mixc itslef, it will be a wind filter or" dead kitty" as i've often heard it called. it's this large furry thing that you can fit over top of your microphone with the help of a zepelin. this is basicaly what it is

http://http://www.videogeardirect.com/products/12'-Carbon-Fiber-Boom-Pole-Microphone-Blimp-Wind-Screen-%26-2-Fur-Covers.html

i can say that if you use this, there will be no wind noise guarnteed. It's also possible to make one from scratch, that will still work realy well.

1. You have to keep only one of the two mics pointed at the talent on the set. Do you really think that whoever is swinging the supposed DIY boom has enough skill to keep one of two 3/4" mics that you can't see on a $130 recorder taped on the end of a long stick properly pointed at the mouths of the actors as they speak? The odds are that neither one will be properly aimed.

2. If both tracks are used (it's stereo, remember?) the dialog will be unbalanced left/right. If both channels are panned to the center you run the risk of flanging, phasing or even outright phase cancellation of some or all frequencies.

3. Do you think that whoever is editing the production sound after using this method will have the dialog editing skills to split the stereo track into two mono tracks then to comp a smooth dialog track together? I've had to do this several times and it was a frigging nightmare!

Believe me, I understand having a desire and extremely limited funds - been there, done that, got the T-shirt. But if you are not just a hobbyist and want professional results you need something approximating professional tools, and professional tools imply an investment of some real money. For example, a favorite shotgun for professionals is the Schoeps CMIT5U which costs $2,200; you can get an Audio Technica AT875 for $190, less than 10% of the cost. You can get a Tascam DR-100 for around $330; a professional would use Sound Devices 302 mixer ($1,300) and a Sound Devices 722 recorder ($2,500). $3,800 as opposed to $330; again, less than 10%. A $30 DIY boom pole instead of a $900 graphite boom pole. I could go on but you get the idea. 20 years ago filmmakers would have killed for video and sound gear that was only 20% of the cost of professional gear.

The fact that things are more expensive doesn't just mean that they cost you more money, they also provide some of the conveniences of professional items. The DR-100 and AT875 are low impedance units that will help reduce the problems of RF interference and other noise problems. A real boom-pole is lighter (you can hold it over your head longer) and will impart less noise. And all of those aspects mean that you have better sound to edit, which gives you more sonic freedom, which means that you have a better product.

The audience will neither know nor care about your handicaps, all they want is to be entertained, and though audiences may forgive visual flaws to a degree the almost never forgive audio problems.

BTW, an investment in quality audio gear, even something like the AT875, will long outlast several cameras. I have one $100 mic (Shure SM-58) that I've been using for over 30 years and it still sounds great; most of my mics are 15+ years old. Talk about ROI!. How many camera fads have come and gone in 15 years?

Appreciate the input, I'm really considering the H1 at this point - also, could anyone point me to a mic that will ensure there is no wind noise and can record dialogue without much post production hassle?
i'm not looking for A grade quality sound here, just something that will differentiate from all of the other amateur videos out there.

The problem with the H1 is that it only has a 3.5mm mini-jack mic input, so any mic you use will be prone to RF interference. The H4n and other higher-grade recorders have XLR inputs which will eliminate the interference problem. If I were going with the H1, I would probably put it on a boom by itself and use the onboard mics. Not anything approximating a pro or semi-pro grasp of sound, but it would reduce the signal-to-noise ratio and set you apart from those films make with on-board camera mics.

Considering Alcoves comments on Stereo micing on a boom.. (hes the god after all)

Can the h1 be set to record mono, or just one of the mics?

Also, maybe a hybrid solution. A SHORT cable run, just long enough to come down the boom a few feet where the recorder is attached to the operator end of the boom.

Poor alcove, he tires to provide noobies doing sound with "idiot proof" suggestions, but he consistently underestimates the ingenuity of a complete idiot like me!

EDIT: To elaborate, I have since given up ALL my illusions of finding a short cut for production sound. I now have seven or eight pieces of useless sound kit that sit unloved since heading Alcoves advice and going with a Oade brothers modified dedicated recorder, a NON DIY boom, NON DIY Shock mount, an semi-pro shotgun mic etc. So Alcove, SOMEONE is listening to your lone voice in the wilderness..

Last edited:
so that tells me nothing... the audio technica at 875 looks awesome but on what exactly does it run? I don't see a lot of options really, the h1 still looks like the best from the lot.. I don't mind old equipment though.. if there's a gem somewhere in the mic world, i'm glad to hear it.

so that tells me nothing... the audio technica at 875 looks awesome but on what exactly does it run? I don't see a lot of options really, the h1 still looks like the best from the lot.. I don't mind old equipment though.. if there's a gem somewhere in the mic world, i'm glad to hear it.

Facepalm.jpg

You plug a microphone into an audio recorder where it says "Input." You plug in the headphones into the recorder where it says "Headphones" so you can hear what is being recorded.

You will not be able to use the AT875 with any camera or audio recorder that does not supply phantom power. You will need a low impedance mic like the AT897 or the NTG-2 that can supply its own phantom power with an internal battery. You can also use any number of high impedance mics; the Rode Video Mic and the Video Mic Pro are decent choices of high impedance mics.

There are dozens of ultra cheap shotgun mics and audio recorders on eBay and Amazon - Caveat Emptor!

I decided to go with the zoom h1, going to buy the dead cat and even use it on a boom ocasionally. I know it's not a shotgun mic, but will the h1 do a good job if pointed towards the speaker? or wont it matter much where its pointed?

Back