Blackmagic Cinema Camera - Hands on

So I'm ACing for a shoot on Blackmagic, and we've just spent a couple days prepping the gear. I wanted to write up my thoughts on the camera itself.

Blackmagic%20camera%206.jpg

The camera body is bigger than a DSLR, and the larger screen is much easier to use than that on a DSLR. DSLRs, however, are pretty ergonomic, and are designed to be held for long periods of time. The Blackmagic is far from ergonomic. This thing is difficult to hold - there's a little too much weight for it to be comfortable, and without a third-party top handle, I would be really careful carrying this around. It's far from the heaviest camera I've held, and yet carrying it around I feel like I'm going to drop it. There's just nowhere to put your fingers that you know you've got a good grip on it, and I would not hold it using the sunshade as that's a recipe for disaster.

I also wouldn't drop it - Epics and Alexas are not meant to be dropped, but they are rugged enough that they would survive a fall. I haven't tested dropping the Blackmagic (what kind of AC do you think I am? ;)) but it doesn't seem like it would recover well from a fall.

The screen is large, and decent, though I always prefer viewfinders to LCD screens. It seems slightly bigger than the LCD on the Epic/Scarlet, though it is the same size - perhaps it's because it's not crowded by controls top and bottom. The screen itself is in an awkward position, however, for use at anywhere other than eye level. This would be nothing new for someone used to shooting with a DSLR, I guess, but I found it to be less than optimal. Keep in mind that with no HDMI out, a lot of the EVFs and LCDs you're currently using with your DSLRs will be unuseable. You'll need something with an SDI-in (you might be able to pick up a cheaper DP6 now they've been replaced by the AC7s). The menu is also touchscreen, so you'll be going back to the camera's screen to change any settings.

I generally hate touchscreen menus, though I find RED's menu system to be pretty decent as it's designed pretty well - everything is one or two touches away and everything you need is right at your fingertips. I hate touchscreen menus like that on the older Sony prosumer cams, and this touchscreen menu is a bit of a throwback to that. You get very little control over anything for starters - the basics are there, but if you want to delve deeper than the basics, you're out of luck. I dislike the menu system, mostly because it seems to have been overly simplified and seems to be aimed at those have little, or simply a cursory knowledge of camera operating. The buttons are a little small for my fingers (and I don't think I have terribly fat fingers), and take a pretty decent push to change.

In the menu, you can choose what you're monitoring in and what you want to record in. It may be confusing at first for those who aren't sure why their monitor is showing a grey, washed out image, but it's simply set to monitor in Log colour space, though they call it 'Film' (this seems to be default, I have no idea why). You can easily change it to 'Video' (REC709) colour space for monitoring. For recording, you have the choice of raw, ProRes, or DNxHD in Film or Video gamma, though obviously with raw you can't have 'video' gamma.

Lens controls are, well, interesting. There's a row of buttons down the bottom and two buttons either side of the top of the screen
BMD%20-%20Blackmagic%20Cinema%20Camera_c.png

Pressing 'iris' is like a one-push auto-iris. Which is fine, if auto-iris is your cup of tea. Pressing 'focus' brought up Focus peaking on the lenses we were using (ZE's), but I assume on other still lenses would be a one-push auto-focus.
Manual iris control is available, but is implemented in a really odd way. It seems like it was really an after-thought. Pressing the previous and next buttons adjusts the iris up or down, which I guess in itself isn't that big a deal - it's not too far removed from Canon's clickwheel or button pushes on the Rebel series'. But, at least on the lenses we're using, there's no lens information carrying over via the electronics. So, you're essentially just guessing by looking at the screen. You know that if it's not getting any brighter you're wide open, and if it's not getting any darker, you're at f/16 or f/22, depending on the lens you're using. But, other than that you have no idea what stop you're at. If you were thinking of monitoring in 'Film' gamma, this is probably what will stop you - you'll have no idea how your images are exposed. You can see what looks 'okay' but you're really just guessing without knowing what stop you're at.
This becomes a non-issue if you're using cinevised lenses such as CP.2s on it (which is what I always recommend and request for DSLR shooting anyway).

I haven't had a chance to play with metadata, but I find it relatively pointless considering the time needed to input all that data. We won't be moving away from slates and traditional reports, at least for this shoot.

--

With all of that said, when it comes down to it, we're really looking at the picture with this camera aren't we. It's really priced to be a competitor to a 5DmkIII, regardless of what the marketing hype says about it being a 'cinema camera'.

In that regard, there's no comparison. If I was choosing between the two based on picture alone (for video), it would be the Blackmagic Camera hands down, every single time.

It's no Alexa, and it's not even a RED. But then, it's not meant to be. It's essentially a better 5D. This will be a winner for the DSLR guys who would have otherwise purchased 5Ds, for sure. If you're looking for photos as well - get a 5D. The BMCC is not designed for photo taking and is awkward to hold at the best of times, so would not be good for photos at all. But purely for video - the Blackmagic beats the 5D with two hands tied around it's back. And really, for the price of it that's pretty damn good.

The way I would look at it is this - in the same way that Zeiss CP.2s are 'cinevised' still glass, the Blackmagic is essentially a 'cinevised' DSLR. There are parts of it which leave a lot to be desired (though some of it could be fixed with a firmware update... or perhaps a hack?) but the picture quality is unbeatable at the price point.

It will sit pretty nicely in most DSLR rigs, and I would probably recommend getting a rig - at the very least a top handle to make it easier to carry around.

Last edited:
I should add, we're shooting in ProRes Log for the film (mostly a space saving thing - there won't be any need for copious amounts of grading, but by shooting log there's still the option if it's wanted) though we've shot tests in both raw and ProRes Log (or 'Film' as it is on the camera). Haven't tested out the REC709 colour space. From looking at the monitor, REC709 looks like a slightly better DSLR - the image is a bit over-saturated and switching to REC709 seems to squash the dynamic range a bit, much moreso than the Alexa does. That might just be the monitor, however, as there hasn't been any REC709 footage through the post path - you'll still have a heap more information shooting REC709 ProRes to grade with than you would on a DSLR.

Last edited:
I assume third-party peeps are already hard at work trying to make custom hacks of some kind. Would menu navigation flow changes be pretty high on the list of things to add? What else might be some of the oversights that could be added via third-party addon, similar to Magic Lantern, etc?

I should've mentioned battery life - we're using adapters with V-Locks for the shoot, but we ran off internal battery at first just to see how it went. It holds up pretty well and lasted a good couple of hours. Internal battery, however, is somewhat ridiculous and you should definitely look into a power alternative, unless you only plan to shoot for a couple of hours at a time.

Also, double-checking the manual shows that the 'Focus' button is merely a focus peaking button, and not an auto-focus button, so no luck for those looking for auto focus.

Thats a HUUUGE turn off for me :(

I guess it depends what you need - it allows control over iris (though with no feedback so you're guessing at what stop you're at), ISO (you have a choice of 400, 800 or 1600), shutter angle, and white balance (again limited to a small selection). There's quite a few audio settings, though having gain controls on a touch screen menu that takes three taps to get to and disables viewing of what's being recorded is somewhat less than ideal...
There also seems to be no way at all to monitor audio levels, other than guessing using your headphones. Again, less than ideal.

I assume third-party peeps are already hard at work trying to make custom hacks of some kind. Would menu navigation flow changes be pretty high on the list of things to add? What else might be some of the oversights that could be added via third-party addon, similar to Magic Lantern, etc?

I'd love to see a hack that allows menu navigation via the hardware buttons. Also a menu that overlays on top, rather than completely disabling your view of what's being recorded.
I'd love to see the ability to input your own white balance settings - you've got a choice of 3200K, 4500K, 5600K, 6500K and 7500K. There's quite a few options there, but I don't always stick to the norms when I'm shooting - I guess there's the argument that 'you're shooting raw so it doesn't matter' but that's not necessarily the case. When you're shooting ProRes it does matter, and considering ProRes takes about 1/4 of the space that raw does...

I'd love a firmware update that allows selection between ProRes 422 or 4444 - the processing power is there (it's recording to raw), I'm not 100% sure why this isn't offered. Similarly, a distinction between the different flavours of DNxHD. There are so many different flavours of DNxHD that simply saying 'DNxHD' doesn't really mean much. In the manual, it states that ProRes records at 422(HQ), but there's not even a mention of DNxHD, let alone what exact flavour it records to.
I'd love false colour, rather than just zebra overlays.

Also, you're presented with a range of information across the bottom of the display. It'd be nice to have a feature similar to RED where pushing one of them brings up a quick control menu to quickly change the setting if you need to.

But the most pressing thing at the moment for me would be the ability to see what F-stop you're at. That's the real big glaring issue for me. A lot of the other things I can forgive, especially given the price tag (though if you're going to call yourself a cinema camera, you gotta be prepared to compete with the big boys). The major issue is not knowing what stop you're at.
After that, I'd say timecode sync would be an important feature to add.

What is likely also important for a lot of people is the ability to monitor audio levels on screen. It's not an issue for us as we're using dual system, but I can see this being a big issue for a lot of people.

Oh, and a way to format the SSD while it's in the camera would be nice too..

--
What would be great for this (or any) camera is an iPad app that could sync wirelessly with the camera itself. You could give your 2nd AC an iPad for camera reports and it could sync the data to the file name wirelessly. It means you get the data you need with better accuracy, more information, and without having to take the time to type it all out on the camera itself.

Last edited:
This is such a strange camera. I can't fathom how someone can start from scratch to build a 'cinema' camera and yet end up with something that seems to have so little thought put into it's actual functionality/usability for the purpose.

For recording, you have the choice of raw, ProRes, or DNxHD in Film or Video gamma, though obviously with raw you can't have 'video' gamma.

So does that mean you can have the "Film" gamma setting in Raw mode?

I really appreciate your review, as I'm thinking about getting this camera. It sounds like there are a lot of compromises - the crop factor, non-removable battery, can't delete files or format (in camera), no audio monitoring(!), limited settings, but...............you get an awesome picture and 2.5K res.

I shot a feature with a Canon Scoopic (6X zoom, noisy camera, 2minute, 30 second loads, used an external light meter and tape measure for focusing), so I'm used to extreme compromise. I've worked with less tools, so I'm not put off by this camera. It would be nice to have some updates to show parameters like what Stop you are at.

So does that mean you can have the "Film" gamma setting in Raw mode?

I really appreciate your review, as I'm thinking about getting this camera. It sounds like there are a lot of compromises - the crop factor, non-removable battery, can't delete files or format (in camera), no audio monitoring(!), limited settings, but...............you get an awesome picture and 2.5K res.

I shot a feature with a Canon Scoopic (6X zoom, noisy camera, 2minute, 30 second loads, used an external light meter and tape measure for focusing), so I'm used to extreme compromise. I've worked with less tools, so I'm not put off by this camera. It would be nice to have some updates to show parameters like what Stop you are at.

When shooting in raw, you're getting raw - there's technically no gamma or colour space until you process the footage. You can process the footage into ProRes, for example, with a log gamma curve or REC709 gamma curve, or whatever you want really. Then you can go back to the original raw files later in the online if you need to.

Yeah, the pictures you get out of this are pretty nice and as I say will beat a 5D or any DSLR or highly compressed format camera any day. With some decent cine lenses on it (CP.2s or similar), you will get some great stuff, and not knowing what stop you're at becomes a non-issue with such lenses. As well, it depends how you expose your scene as to whether knowing what stop you're at is important. I'm much more traditional in that I like to light to a stop, though Blackmagic are of the view (I heard this from the mouth of one of their reps) that you 'no longer need to light' as you can capture everything in raw and make all your decisions later (this did not go down well with the audience of ACS cinematographers...).

I still use external light meters and tape measures for focus ;)

wow. there really are too many camera options now!

There's currently a 'race to the bottom' amongst some companies.. When the dust settles, I don't think we'll see as many options, but the options that are there will be better cameras.

Great review, Jax. Thank you so much for taking the time and the effort for the benefit of the rest of us.

So what do I think I can conclude from this and other informative reviews? Of course I'm not a cameraman, so I don't really know what I'm talking about. All I can really think is that, for a DIY guy, I'm pretty sure that I'd rather get a GH3 than this, for a more "well rounded" camera that's more user friendly for the DIY/novice crowd. Is that crazy? Is it foolish?

Though, if for anything, I think that the dynamic range (if I even know what I'm talking about) of the Black Magic camera is its biggest turn-on. That does make me drool a little.

Yes great review! I do like the "vibe" of the camera, seems like it sit well between the DSLR and cinema cameras. If version 2 came with some XLR inputs, external batteries, retains the price point and had some nice 3rd party plugins, I could see it making a killing.

Yeah, the pictures you get out of this are pretty nice and as I say will beat a 5D or any DSLR or highly compressed format camera any day. With some decent cine lenses on it (CP.2s or similar), you will get some great stuff, and not knowing what stop you're at becomes a non-issue with such lenses. As well, it depends how you expose your scene as to whether knowing what stop you're at is important. I'm much more traditional in that I like to light to a stop, though Blackmagic are of the view (I heard this from the mouth of one of their reps) that you 'no longer need to light' as you can capture everything in raw and make all your decisions later (this did not go down well with the audience of ACS cinematographers...).

Yeah, marketing people like to say stupid things like that. Good RAW shooters don't listen to that crap and do it properly. The same thing happened in the Technicolor days - they would tell people to shoot everything high key, and to expose X color at Y foot-candles. And people like Jack Cardiff and Douglas Slocombe would just ignore them and light it the way they wanted. Folks will work the way they work, and if their work is solid, they'll be allowed to do it.

Thanks for the write-up, I'll have to give all this a proper read when I'm more awake. :D

FWIW: BMD Rep that I talked to recently mentioned that full range of color temps is a very highly requested feature and most likely coming in a future firmware.

Thanks, great review. RAW for a realistic price of around $4k USD (once the bits have been added). I think this would be amazing in the current market. I am looking to upgrade in 2014 and as it stands, this would be top of the list.

I have this camera. Had SO SO SO many issues with it (manufacturing defects) and kept having to send it back to get brand new cameras with different issues. After all of the headaches, I must say that the image quality almost makes it worth it :)

Anamorphic is most commonly 2.39:1, just FYI.

No, the Blackmagic camera has a 16:9 sensor, as most cheap digital cameras do.

Also, new firmware update allows some data carry over, so you can at least see what stop you're shooting at.

Ohh :/
I dont know if the coming m4/3 mount BCC will change something on the sensor, but it's another hope.

Not really. The sensor in the BMCC is slightly smaller than a standard m4/3. They're just using another popular mount, the sensor is identical between cameras. There have been plenty of people using older Lomo anamorphic lenses (oct19 mount) via a lens adapter with gh2's. The squeeze ratios have all been worked out, and could probably be adapted to the BMCC with a little searching.

Back