• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Black.Ops and Project: Dead End

Considering that the *jib* shot follows a title text (graffiti?) on a wall as alluded to by OP, I think it will work pretty nicely. At least one shot was out of focus, and I don't think it was deliberate...or, at least it didn't serve your *story* or prove to be a stylistic choice. The stunts were well done. Some of the interior shots were too green (flourescents) for my taste. (how about a lights out interior with ops and flashlights zipping across the zombie (s)?...then some of those blackout transitions would flow a little more nicely. Just a thought) I'm not a big fan of (so many) blackout transitions, it makes me think the editor doesn't know how to cut dynamically, or the director didn't film enough coverage to allow for options when cutting. All in all, a pretty decent start. You guys said you are 15. I was a couple years older when I started art school, you have to learn to accept a critique....people are only trying to help you improve and really do want to see you succeed. :)

Last edited:
The first step in improving one's craft is to learn not to take critique personally.

Every honest critique is a good critique. Michae1's was just such a critique. If your response is defensive to any negative opinion about your work, people who do have more experience and knowledge about filmmaking than you will simply choose to refrain from offering advice. Who needs the aggravation?

If you disagree with someone's opinion here, the best response is to thank them for it and then quietly disregard it.

I watched the trailer and it's pretty damned good for your years and experience and resources. Use every single tool you can get your hands on to improve, including considering seriously any and all opinions and suggestions.

Welcome to the forum!

Cheers!

-Charles

I believe the opening shot could have worked if it was placed somewhere else in the trailer, but maybe cut the highest point the jib was at, because midway trailer with that would look a bit strange. Other than that, it seemed to have some impressive cinematography. The color does seem a little off when you guys are outdoors, but when you guys are inside it seems fine. If you are lighting your outdoors scenes make sure to use 5600k bulbs. Also make use of reflectors outside if you cant get access to lights outside. Story wise it didn't seem to be anything all that original but I'm sure it'll do fine, with it's horror/action aspects.

Best of luck to you and your crew. :D

Blanc.

"By the way i'm not saying you don't have any experience..."

Maybe you should read ALL of the post before you say i'm assuming that you're a 'lowly actor' and then ASSUME i'm 'busting your balls.' I'm not making assumptions. And the way people state their opinions these days, makes it look offensive. like: "It looks OK...but it's out of place." It IS out of place. Is it? If it's your opinion, how about NOT writing it in a way that makes it look like you're trying to force your opinion into fact. I didn't "cop" an attitude, and i didn't comp an attitude. And no, i don't expect you to fall in love with it and call me "big poppa."

By the way, I didn't post it.

And Kraven posted it to get the word out.

Not necessarily for critics to feast on our work. And plus it's just the trailer.

And i'm not saying negative criticism isn't worth my time.

Anyway, yeah, let's keep it friendly. " :) "

I did read all of your post--I was simply clarifying my experience so you understood where my 'critique' was coming from.

In the future I'll choose to not respond to your posts. And others that saw your response to mine may think twice about it also. Not a big loss to you I'm sure, but this is what happens when you try to be helpful and you're backhanded for it. You have a great attitude for Hollywood kid...you're learning quickly.

Last edited:
I have to agree with Mike here. The indie world isn't about showing your feathers like a peacock, but adapting to new situations so that you are above all the others. Knowing is half the battle. The other is obviously taking the intiative. Advice from experienced people who work in the industry is the advice that'll help you make it yourself.

Don't want to be eaten alive by the Corporate monsters, then adapt yourself some spikes (metaforical) so that you stand a chance in the wild of what we call the digital age. Where anyone with 10 bucks can make a movie. This means finding the good stuff through the avalanche of crap becomes more difficult. If you use good advice (from people on this board) you will have a higher chance of getting noticed.

Blanc.

PERFECTION AT LAST!!!!

FADE IN

INT. DAY SITTING AT COMPUTER READING THE FORUMS

(Typing in a sarcastic voice) <---that's a joke...get it. :)

This film was absolutely, unabashdly, unequivocally, without a shadow of a doubt........PERFECT. It needs nothing. Keep up the good work guys and don't change a thing.

Seriously guys, take a little criticism. I think it's awsome that there is a place where we can post our stuff and have it critiqued. From what I read, no one is talking down to you. Theyre just pointing out some things you might consider. If you dont want to, then dont. But kicking the guy/gal, thats trying to help you, in the nuts is no way to get them to help you again. From a complete novice standpoint, I enjoyed your trailer very much. LONG LIVE THE ZOMBIE MOVIE!!!...seriously.

Last edited:
If you want to be in entertainment you got to accept criticism (and even better, use it to become better) or learn how to ignore it completely. But never try to convince people that their interpretation of your work is wrong. If your message didn't get to the audience the way you thought of it than it's your problem.

I personally can't say the trailer got me hooked to view the movie, and that's the job of a trailer. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
looked really good. especially for someone so young. definitely keep us posted on the episodes.

and on another note, ive seen some of the work the M1chae1 has posted on this site and it all seems very, very professionally done. I think he's just trying to help by giving you ideas that might help you take your video in a more professional looking direction. although i totally understand that it is very easy to get defensive with a video that you created but i dont think he is telling you anything to put you down, just telling you things to help you out.

that being said, in the end it is your video and everything said on this site is simply advice so take what you think is usable and make your video however you see fit. but carefully driving away all of the extremely knowledgeable people that are on this site. this place is a great tool for young people trying to learn.

Looks like every other youtube Zombie flick.. but for your age good work. I look forward to the first episode

Good luck with your series

Im the director and i love to hear others opinions. please keep it up. i apologize for my members not taking criticism well. ^^
i have done a few things most zombie youtube vids have not done. first of all making a show rather than a movie. MORE STORY!
on top of that i have LOADS of martial arts scattered about. (adding and action feel witch is what I'm going for) thanks to you all for your Criticism. :) i hope to continue to hear from you.

i do not claim to be pro. i just want to do something i love and have fun doing it while picking up a few fans here and there.

Last edited:
Only a few of us claim to be pros here (yet!!!), but this community always tries to have your best at heart. Some folks don't do criticism well, but it's necessary... after every shoot, we have a "Smackdown" session where we deconstruct everything we shot, cut, our processes on set... all completely brutally torn apart. The goal is to always improve.

You've got a good eye and a team that is passionate about their work. Keep pushing forward, make cool stuff. The shots in the trailer are quite good individually... I'd love to see a recut trailer of this that really tries to "sell" the film... not just cool shots, but some character moments that draw us into the trailer, built like a mini-film from the same footage.

Only a few of us claim to be pros here (yet!!!), but this community always tries to have your best at heart. Some folks don't do criticism well, but it's necessary... after every shoot, we have a "Smackdown" session where we deconstruct everything we shot, cut, our processes on set... all completely brutally torn apart. The goal is to always improve.

You've got a good eye and a team that is passionate about their work. Keep pushing forward, make cool stuff. The shots in the trailer are quite good individually... I'd love to see a recut trailer of this that really tries to "sell" the film... not just cool shots, but some character moments that draw us into the trailer, built like a mini-film from the same footage.

yea i didn't do the trailer myself and my whole crew is scattered about my state so we have to shoot and separate again. a few are students and i run a publishing business as well as work a nine to five job so its hard for me to organize like a pro.

Chicken pot pie.....My Three Favorite Things

Im the director and i love to hear others opinions. please keep it up. i apologize for my members not taking criticism well. ^^
i have done a few things most zombie youtube vids have not done. first of all making a show rather than a movie. MORE STORY!
on top of that i have LOADS of martial arts scattered about. (adding and action feel witch is what I'm going for) thanks to you all for your Criticism. :) i hope to continue to hear from you.

i do not claim to be pro. i just want to do something i love and have fun doing it while picking up a few fans here and there.

:weird:
Ok, so I leave for a week to visit some family, and come back to this. @ M1chae1, I appreciate your words. what everyone needs to understand (INCLUDING CALEB:P) is that this is a project made by a team that is for the most part untried. As for myself (as a integral part of this film) i appreciate the ppl that are offering words to help us. i dont view this as critiscizm i see it as ppl with actual experience offering advice on what not to do. i also assume that the ppl that offer these words on what not to do, say this from personal experience. So, from the bottom of my big, fat, Vegetarian heart, i thank you.
:weird:

-"Im actually a vegetarian" "what?! i dont believe you" "Its true" "well the way i see it . . . . . I dont see it"-

EDIT: Oh, and to any one whose wondering, i have no idea why i quoted Kravens post. I had a reason, but i forgot, so. . . . .YEAH, WHAT HE SAID!!!!!! :D

Last edited:
I'm back, to the dismay of some. I am sorry for not taking the criticism well, and i have no excuse right now, to try to right my wrong ;) Seriously though, i realize that you guys are trying to help, and shouldn't be a little prick that can't take critique. Sorry everyone! :) Don't go away, i accept and live on your opinions! Well, now i do. lol :) Sorry again.

If it's not great, then don't tell me to release it. God, that just makes me look bad. Because the only thing that's not good is the cinematography and editing, and that's me. Don't tell me to release it, if you know it's going to make my filming reputation look bad.

If it's not great, then don't tell me to release it. God, that just makes me look bad. Because the only thing that's not good is the cinematography and editing, and that's me. Don't tell me to release it, if you know it's going to make my filming reputation look bad.

you have to learn to walk before you can run. give it time. we will get better with EXP. take your time on the editing for the first episode. that was just the pilot.

I've personally posted quite a few things that "aren't as strong as I'd like". it's part of the the process of improving. Stand proudly and point and say "I made that" When people sneer at it (see the comments on my youtube stuff for examples), stand tall anyway knowing that they most likely never could get to the point of release... which is a huge accomplishment as I'm sure you're aware.

And as a director, I'll state for the record that ALL of the problems with a film are the director's responsibility at the end of the day... captain of the ship and all that. This is why the producer/director "hire" specific people who they trust to do the job right. If you get called back for the next gig, that's the *real* respect you're looking for... it means the producer/director likes working with you, your team mentality and your end product.

Just one little bit of Criticism, The first half of the episode when the guy was talking, You could easily tell he was reading the script from a laptop, which is seen through the reflections of his glasses. That sorta bugged me because you could see him pause for a second and scroll down. Other than that, it was alright..

Back