• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Best Use of VO?

My understanding is V.O.s are out of fashion.

I used one in my last script. Bookends: a few words at the beginning, a few at the end. I think it worked. If something works, fuck it, use the tools you've got, right?

What's your favorite V.O. moment?

Mine: My hero, William Goldman. From MAVERICK (1993), Mel Gibson as Bret Maverick. Opening Scene:

EXT. DESOLATE LANDSCAPE - HANGING TREE - DAY

Rocks. Cactus. The occasional tree.

Not a place you'd like to spend your summer vacation.

Maverick's on a horse, a rope around his neck, his hands tied behind his back. A bag of snakes is tossed at the feet of his horse by a trio of really BAD guys. As he watches a half-dozen rattlers come out of the bag, all with big fangs:

MAVERICK (V.O.)
It had been just a shitty week for me from the beginning.

Heh.

We just shot a short this past weekend that used inner monologue. I thought it worked great. Not to mention I think that the show Burn Notice has a great way of using VO. Other thoughts?

VO is not "out of fashion". VO works well when it is an integral part of the script; but VO is just often used - badly and after the fact - to shore up weak scripts/story/editing/performances....

Some other good VO films:

The Shawshank Redemption

American Beauty

Forrest Gump (although almost all of the VO was shot live on the park bench.)

Definitely not out of fashion. One of my favorite series is Showtime's Dexter. And his V.O. commentary is comedic gold.

Movies I enjoyed that use it effectively (IMO).
The Notebook
The Princess Bride

Certainly not Bladerunner, though. The Director's Cut is still my favorite.

Definitely not out of fashion. One of my favorite series is Showtime's Dexter. And his V.O. commentary is comedic gold.

I have a huge fascination with serial killers. Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer is one of my favorite movies. I love watching tru-crime tv. So, many people have told me that I have to watch Dexter because it's classic. So, I did, and I didn't like it at all. I don't get why it's so popular.

The Princess Bride

Goldman again.

For some reason I associate VO mostly with big old happy studio movies, a la Frank Capra, etc. But of course its pedigree is much wider.

There's a certain comfort in hearing "secrets" that the characters don't know, or information they don't have, or in being guided toward an insight that is, perhaps, just a little too far from our fingertips... We don't mind working for something while watching a movie, but it better be worth it, and it better not be TOO hard to come by. And if it's preachy? I'm going for popcorn and won't be back...

Off hand, I like Goodfellas, Trainspotting.

I recall the V.O. writing in the Seltzer flick Nobody’s Baby having an impression on me when I first saw it.
(I think it was in the form of writing or reading an on going letter.)

-Thanks-

I have a huge fascination with serial killers. Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer is one of my favorite movies. I love watching tru-crime tv. So, many people have told me that I have to watch Dexter because it's classic. So, I did, and I didn't like it at all. I don't get why it's so popular.

Odd. Guess it just depends on your perspective. I enjoy it because it's not something you see every day. Same with Californication.

It's just like any movie or TV drama, I suppose. Unless you can find a connection with the main character, you just wouldn't stay with it. Several people recommended House to me, but I just cannot get into it. Same with Lost. Didn't hook me. And Heroes. Lost interest. I often fail to find the humor in The Office. Does nothing for me.

Maybe I'm more twisted than I thought because I can connect with a serial killer cop and a writer who's insatiably sex addicted. :weird:

Last edited:
VO is not out of fashion, it is just misused more often than not so people say don't do it.

VO Narrartion is an *additional* layer of story - usually a commentary on the events depicted in the film.

Here's the thing - the screenplay needs to work **100%** without the narration. It needs to make comeplete sense without any confusion at all. And needs to be a great script withoiut the narration. The narration is the icing in the cake, not the cake!

- Bill

VO is not "out of fashion". VO works well when it is an integral part of the script; but VO is just often used - badly and after the fact - to shore up weak scripts/story/editing/performances....

Some other good VO films:

The Shawshank Redemption

American Beauty

Forrest Gump (although almost all of the VO was shot live on the park bench.)

I was going to say the same thing and use American Beauty as an example.

What just hit my computer screen? VOs out of style?

Fight Club.
Benjamin Button.
Jerry Mcguire.
Forrest Gump.
Lord of the Rings.
Ferris Bueller's Day Off.
The Usual Suspects.
The Sixth Sense.
A Christmas Story.
Wanted.
Somethings Gotta Give.
The Bucket List.

That should be enough - I don't want to waste anymore time trying to prove the fact that VO can be and still is expertly used...

Where did you get that idea in the first place?

Last edited:
What the fuck just hit my computer screen? VOs out of style? I would be the one to know because I recorded half of them.

Fight Club.
Benjamin Button.
Jerry Mcguire.
Forrest Gump.
Lord of the Rings.
Ferris Bueller's Day Off.
The Usual Suspects.
The Sixth Sense.
A Christmas Story.
Wanted.

That should be enough - I don't want to waste anymore time trying to prove the fact that VO can be and still is expertly used...

Where did you get that idea in the first place?

Heeeeees baaaaack! Been busy, dude?

My favorite VO has been mentioned, but I'll say it anyway. The Princess Bride. No wait, it's Christmas Story. Or is it Ferris Bueller?

Dexter's VO is really great, too. It's what makes the show funny :)

Anything narrated by Morgan Freeman is probably a win, too.

Movies I enjoyed that use it effectively (IMO).
The Notebook
The Princess Bride

Certainly not Bladerunner, though. The Director's Cut is still my favorite.

Oh my god yes! "Dexter"' has some amazing V.O. and actually may be the best I have heard.

Back