Best US City for Indies?

What would you say are the top 3 cities to live in for the super-low-budget indie filmmakers? As in, under 10K a movie low-budget (and lower).

Criteria:
* The city's cooperation with filmmakers (location-wise, etc).
* People interested in being actors/crew for no pay.
* Places that are likely to screen finished films (shorts and/or features).

I know people always say "Austin," but is it REALLY a good place for the super low film budget film people?

I live in Baton Rouge, Louisiana - where the city is very cooperative, and people are quite interested in working on a movie - but there are no venues for screening and little audience for it. People here prefer their football.

Nyc LA miami. Thats where you'll find the most semi professionals to work on low budget films, if thats your question.

Oddly, Rhode Island is getting it done. I'd say the entire NE area is on fire right now. Lot's going on...

Yes Boston has a bunch going on, but mostly student films...Rhode Island has even more 'indie' companies shooting stuff.

Detroit. Everyone and their brother has taken some form of the PA bootcamp over the last three years and are looking for work. Most will work for free.

I've heard that Tucson, Arizona has a lot of venues to show indie stuff.

Short of renting a space yourself, my hometown doesn't have any permanent venue in place that is of the mindset "yes, we want to show indie stuff, bring your movies in." It's also not a big seller here.

So I suppose that's a major component of my inquiry - other than the internet, where is there a place where people are itching for content?

Detroit has at least two ongoing monthly indie projects, the Mitten Movie Project and one other I can't think of...free submission, screening and network parties monthly, etc.

Detroit has at least two ongoing monthly indie projects, the Mitten Movie Project and one other I can't think of...free submission, screening and network parties monthly, etc.

Being from Mid-Michigan,I would have to agree. But I will add this:

The best city to do indies is a place where you know people, people who will LEND you thier backyard, office building or field - so long as you leave it looking better than you found it.

People who might belong to local little theater groups who know you and simply because they LIKE you, would work on a project for free because we all know that if you are indie, you are for the most part, broke. (btw, at least try to feed everyone. A pizza dinner goes a long way when people are volunteering their time)

Where you will find people who will barter their time, I have offered and done things for people for free and I hope when I get into an important project, they will be able to return the favor. If you are lucky they may be able to help with production and post production. Just don't ask to borrow someones camera. The camera usually comes with operator so if you are lucky, you may know someone who could use a project.

Some of these things can be tough. Detroit has alot of things going on, mid-Michigan is a little iffy, but sometimes you can luck into something. The best city is where you have the most and best RESOURCES.

Anyway, don't assume that you are in a bad place for indie film. Maybe you're in a great place where you can actually get something done.

-- spinner :cool:

* The city's cooperation with filmmakers (location-wise, etc).

The DP on the project we just shot was from Arizona. I forget the city, but it was one of the big ones. He spoke of all kinds of great incentives for filmmakers.

Up to 30% in kickbacks from the city & state.

FREE office-space for the duration of the production, and pre-prod.

Need a street closed? Only 24 hours notice needed, including the time needed for any permits. :eek:

He also rattled off a tonne of other benefits, which explained his decision to not move to LA. Arizona ain't the only state pushing to become a better alternative, either. I'm now considering trying an out-of-Cali environment for the next film.

* People interested in being actors/crew for no pay

You can find this almost anywhere, tbh. Shouldn't be included in your criteria.

* Places that are likely to screen finished films (shorts and/or features).

Also irrelevant. You can 4-wall a theatrical presentation anywhere. Getting people to show up is only as good as your advertising, no matter where you live.

Toronto and Vancouver.

Epic. :lol:

Although he asked for the best cities for indies, not where producers go to film "New York" without actually paying to be in New York.

As far as the US:

Louisiana.

I just finished crewing on a film where the 1AD had two upcoming projects there this year, and the grip crew is flying out there for a 3rd towards the end of the year. Others around here have mentioned going out there for work as well. Apparently it's been hopping for a little while, so maybe tapering off, who knows.

One way to judge is through the 48 Hour Film Project, and how many submissions a city has. A city with 200 submissions is gonna have more folks interested in working(cheaply) than a city with 24. I live in Raleigh, NC, which is okay for short projects, but my major connections are in Washington, DC, where there are many film makers and an abundance of venues for screenings...But the permits are a pain, so ya better be able to get out of the van, shoot the scene and hop back in the van quickly.

Midnite

Does anyone know anything about how this question would apply to documentary film? I heard something recently about Boston being somewhat of a hub for doc filmmaking.

Well, if you're talking ultra-low-budget, I'm going to have to say I really like Anytown, USA.

$10K or less is pretty darned miniscule. It's so small that I don't think all the usual incentives even apply.

What reason are you asking? To find work, or to make movies? You can make movies anywhere. To find work you need to be in certain cities.

Pittsburgh, PA. America's most livable city plus the filmmaking community is finally starting to come together. Check out pghfilm.org and steeltown.org You can find a lot of recources here for indi filmmakers...trust me I am one and Pittsburgh has been very kind.

Come join us!

Austin Texas is still one of the biggest Indie Film mecca's in the U.S. as well as New Mexico for all the crew etc. from their tax incentives.

New Orleans and Louisiana's tax breaks have created a nice infrastructure for independent films.

The problem is this amorphous term "indie film", which can mean any where from $300.00 to $13,000,000.00 so we have no idea what we're attempting to describe for you. Most states that have a tax incentive for filmmakers need a budget of $200,000 or more to qualify and each state will vary as to what this is and how much it's for.

Back