Best movie news I've heard in a while

So happy to hear this. Hopefully it comes true. I really do hope they stick with the 28 MONTHS LATER title and originally reported story line (that it would take place in the midst of a world wide run of the rage virus). My only gripe would be if it is too similar to "World War Z" -- which, if you're a zombie fan, you have to read. I'd also like to see the focal point remain on the characters instead of the widening social issues seen in WEEKS.

World War Z is brilliant, I might have to go dig that out now… I had heard there was a film version of it in the works.

Yeah and i could be wrong but i heard Brad Pitt was attached to it. Which probably means a lot of changes to give him more screen time since i dont see how they would have him for just one short segment

From what I most recently read:

Pitt will play the character of Max Brooks and be roaming the world collecting interviews on the war. But there's a chance his interview journey will be taking place during the war as opposed to ten years after (as in the book). He might be a first hand witness to Yonkers, Honolulu, and the sun rising over Hero City.

And my fav Hitchcock film:

ROPE

Two guys kill a classmate, stuff his body in a trunk, and have a dinner party in his honor (while his body grows cold inches away from party guests). Shot in a series of 10 long takes (he would have shot it all in one take if the technology existed then). Extraordinary film!

How in the world did I forget Rope?

I was hoping it was Indiana Jones 5 since Cracker Funk had Indy as an Avatar. I figure there could be another Indy film if they hurry. Maybe this time they will get it right. Rumor has it that if they get a script ready soon enough Harrison is ready to do one. Heard the same thing about the next Die Hard sequel that if they get it done quick enough Bruce is ready to do another. Sweet.

I never watched 28 days or the other film you mentioned. I am not much of a zombie movie fan. My favorites of those are Shawn of the Dead, Zombieland, and The Crazies.

I was hoping it was Indiana Jones 5 since Cracker Funk had Indy as an Avatar. I figure there could be another Indy film if they hurry. Maybe this time they will get it right. Rumor has it that if they get a script ready soon enough Harrison is ready to do one. Heard the same thing about the next Die Hard sequel that if they get it done quick enough Bruce is ready to do another. Sweet.

I never watched 28 days or the other film you mentioned. I am not much of a zombie movie fan. My favorites of those are Shawn of the Dead, Zombieland, and The Crazies.

Actually, I thought Indy 5 was a done deal. Better yet, I heard that Lucas and Spielberg heard the grumblings about the CGI, and they plan to more practical effects. I dunno, that was just a rumor I read, but I remember feeling like it sounded legit when I read it.

I'm coming in late on this conversation, but I want to share that I'm also a big fan of the "28" franchise. As good as the first movie is, I had a problem buying that skinny Jim could overcome trained soldiers. I also had a problem with the soldiers being so threateningly horny, after only 28 fricken days! To me, the strongest point of the movie was the beginning, where the streets are deserted.

28 WEEKS LATER (the sequel) does not "pale," in my opinion! I like it a tad better than the original movie. I really liked Jeremy (THE HURT LOCKER, THE TOWN) Renner's sniper character:

Jeremy%20Renner%20(1).jpg

I thought John Murphy's music was much better on the sequel (to the point that they used it for AVATAR previews). My opinions are really slanted by a movie's score and this was a good one. The helicopter blades hitting the infected (not zombies) and Robert Carlyle's emotional running scene (abandoning his wife) really stuck out for me. I preferred the way the military was portrayed in this one, too.

Last, but not least - the original 28 DAYS LATER was shot with Canon XL-1 video cameras, which started all sorts of discussion on all the indie forums. It looks good on TV, but was very fuzzy in the theater. I very much appreciated how slick 28 WEEKS LATER looked, by comparison.

Danny Boyle is a fricken genius! I absolutely loved SHALLOW GRAVE. SUNSHINE was brilliant in its own way. The man can cross genres and draw you into whatever he touches.

93px-Alfred_Hitchcock_NYWTSm.jpg

As for Hitchcock, I love this man's work! I was lucky enough to see several of his movies in big screen rerelease - ROPE, VERTIGO, REAR WINDOW, NORTH BY NORTHWEST and PSYCHO. The sexual tension between characters and suspense really hold up well. The man was ahead of his time.

I've often listed Hitchcock among my 3 most influential directors, along with James Cameron and John Carpenter.

I'm coming in late on this conversation, but I want to share that I'm also a big fan of the "28" franchise. As good as the first movie is, I had a problem buying that skinny Jim could overcome trained soldiers. I also had a problem with the soldiers being so threateningly horny, after only 28 fricken days! To me, the strongest point of the movie was the beginning, where the streets are deserted.

28 WEEKS LATER (the sequel) does not "pale," in my opinion! I like it a tad better than the original movie. I really liked Jeremy (THE HURT LOCKER, THE TOWN) Renner's sniper character:

I thought John Murphy's music was much better on the sequel (to the point that they used it for AVATAR previews). My opinions are really slanted by a movie's score and this was a good one. The helicopter blades hitting the infected (not zombies) and Robert Carlyle's emotional running scene (abandoning his wife) really stuck out for me. I preferred the way the military was portrayed in this one, too.

Last, but not least - the original 28 DAYS LATER was shot with Canon XL-1 video cameras, which started all sorts of discussion on all the indie forums. It looks good on TV, but was very fuzzy in the theater. I very much appreciated how slick 28 WEEKS LATER looked, by comparison.

Perhaps "pales" was wording it a little too strongly. I actually really did enjoy "28 Weeks", just not as much. "28 Days" gets an "A+" in my book, whereas "28 Weeks" is in the "A-" territory for me.

I also thought Jeremy Renner's story was the most intriguing aspect of the movie. And that opening (abandonment) scene was brutal, no doubt.

I remember thinking "28 Days" looked grainy in the theater. I saw it before I started this filmmaking thing, and thus knew nothing of any of the technology, so I thought they did that on purpose. :lol:

I remember thinking "28 Days" looked grainy in the theater. I saw it before I started this filmmaking thing, and thus knew nothing of any of the technology, so I thought they did that on purpose. :lol:

It was on purpose. Danny Boyle just came off of TRAINSPOTTING, I believe, so he could have done whatever he wanted. The use of Canon XL-1 cameras got a lot of people talking, so it was good publicity buzz.

I can't remember the score from Weeks very well, but I absolutely loved the tracks by Godspeed You! Black Emperor used in the original - really haunting, and I think it suited the gritty visual aesthetic perfectly. It was certainly a much more flattering portrayal of the military in the sequel, but I prefer Days because they didn't go with the typical macho heroes, which for me made the dystopian setting much more convincing.

It was on purpose. Danny Boyle just came off of TRAINSPOTTING, I believe, so he could have done whatever he wanted. The use of Canon XL-1 cameras got a lot of people talking, so it was good publicity buzz.

A lot of it was down to budget if I remember correctly. I haven't read the American Cinematographer article in a while, but I think they had a choice between shooting 35mm or having to lose scenes. For the deserted London shots they had to use seven or eight cameras I think, just so they could get it done in time, which may have been prohibitively expensive on film. If they did it again now, I bet they'd use DSLRs.

I think the Hobbit might work quite well in 3D.

The story will take care of itself and is sufficiently lightweight to avoid stepping into the 'serious drama' territory (which in my opinion iis not ready for 3D). There's definite potential there...

Back