Best independent films of the past 4 years?

I got a credit card and an amazon account, and I'm looking to buy a bunch of films based solely on their imdb synopsis'.

Anyhoo, which pieces do you guys recommended (strictly speaking of 'independent' films).

Timecrimes
Clerks
Following
Bloodcar
Killing Zoe
Pi
Dead Mans Shoes
Primer
Run Lola Run

Last edited:
It's the director commentary DVD extras alone that make these valuable, moreso than the films themselves:
- Winter's Bone
- The Messenger (2009)
- Open Water
- Cabin Fever
- Monsters

We need a list of all the independent films of the last four years (or beyond) from which to choose from. Is there such a master list out there? There should be.

As directorik alluded to, there are many ways to define "independent". If I understand it correctly, the traditional definition simply means that the production was funded outside of the major Hollywood studio system. If you use that definition, you'd be surprised how many main-stream movies are technically "independent".

The following list is a handfull of movies that I think are pretty damn good, and that I believe fit that traditional definition (but I'm not gauranteeing any factual accuracy; you can do the research yourself :)). Also, I'm leaving off a number of terrific foreign films, cuz I think that's a seperate category from "indie" (or is it?).

The Ghost Writer
Defendor
Kick Ass
I Love You, Phillip Morris
Blue Valentine
Exit Through the Giftshop
Buried
127 Hours
Cedar Rapids
Win Win
Paranormal Activity
Precious