becoming a filmmaker: 1st step after high school

Im a freshman in high school, and I kind of want to know my path now if possible. If I were to chose a career at this point, it would be a filmmaker. That may change slightly over the next four years, but I highly doubt it. Im trying to decide what kind of classes to take throughout high school (which classes to prioritize over others) and what to do fresh out of high school. Should I go to college? What about film school? Education suggestions, or just start trying to get noticed? I'm going to try to get as much experience as possible over the next four years, making a lot of projects hopefully, that seems mandatory. Other suggestions for my path? My main thing will be directing and screenwriting. Heck, maybe even producing like christopher nolan, too. Sugg. and other ?s appreciated!

High school can have great prep classes for your filmmaking career.

TV Production
Stagecraft (building sets)
Theater
Creative Writing

My main thing will be directing and screenwriting.

How about this:

You write 2 pages everyday. If you do that 3 days a week for one
year you will have written 432 pages - that’s about 4 feature
scripts. Writing two pages a day three days a week!

Do that for four years and when you graduate high school you will
have finished 16 scripts. I bet at least 8 of them will be pretty
bad and the first 4 will suck. That leaves 4 good, finished scripts
when you are fresh out of high school.

You direct one little short film a month. Let’s make it even
easier - you direct one short film every eight weeks. In four
years you will have directed 24 shorts. Toss out the first
two years worth because there are just experimenting.

So we flash forward to the day you graduate high school and you
have 4 good feature screenplays and 5 good short films.

If you feel you need more schooling, you go to film school or
college. But with a portfolio of 4 finished scripts and 5 good
short films you can move to Los Angeles or New York and jump
right in to the work force. And you’ll be way ahead of most high
school grads.

And who knows? Maybe a few of those short films are really good
and you get some buzz at a few festivals. That's the way a lot of
writer/directors break in. And they usually start after they
graduate high school.

Sound like too much work?

In addition to the wonderful suggestions from Director - read some books on the subject. Additionally, read the screenplays for your favorite movies. This will influence you and serve as a nice base for pacing and character development.

I picked up a crappy digital camera and just shot some footage, and tried to make a short narrative film. Then i got a camcorder for my birthday and made some better short films and learnt how to edit. Then i applied for a national diploma in film and tv at Plymouth college of art and design, and then you progress onto a degree and learn better cameras better software and film theory to help you make your ideas come onto film, although your ideas is whats important in filmmaking, im not sure of the US education system, if its a national diploma or whats the first course you do after secondary school. Start early build up a CV.

Back