Awesome editing contest.

Cool.

Mannie and that1guy -- you might already be aware of this, but I'll point it out just in case you're not. Sony Vegas has a free, fully-functional 30-day trial, and that software can handle pretty much any footage.

Are you talking Vegas Pro 11? So it gets a big thumbs up?

It is, apparently, about 300 hundred dollars cheaper than Premiere's latest iteration.

I ask because I'm itchy to pull the trigger on an NLE.

Are you talking Vegas Pro 11? So it gets a big thumbs up?

It is, apparently, about 300 hundred dollars cheaper than Premiere's latest iteration.

I ask because I'm itchy to pull the trigger on an NLE.

I've never used Pro. I'm a Premiere guy. But for low-cost NLE software, Vegas Movie Studio HD or Platinum are what I recommend.

Free trial! Nothing to lose by trying it.

Thanks Ernest! I'm giving it my best. :)

Anyone else having a hard time cutting it down to 25 seconds? I cut it down to 33 seconds from about 45. I haven't done any editing contests before so I am wondering if these guys are really strict about the time limit? does it matter if it's a couple seconds extra or less?

For professional editing jobs, which they're treating this as, every second counts. So, I would anticipate that if you submit anything that is not 25 seconds, you will be wasting your time, and they will not consider it.

gelder

Time-limit definitely matters. And I wouldn't think of it as a time-limit, but an exact target. It has to be exactly 25 seconds long, not one frame longer or shorter.

Rough cut done! :D

Seeking constructive critiques. Needless to say, if you're a competitor, you can save your critique until after the competition is over. Anyone else, if interested in viewing and critiquing, please PM. :D

I just completed a version for the contest. One problem I have is the mpeg-4 files don't come into sony vegas with sound. Anyone else have that issue?

Also, what format should I render the video to for uploading. I am guessing MPEG-4 since that is what the orginal clips were.

I just completed a version for the contest. One problem I have is the mpeg-4 files don't come into sony vegas with sound. Anyone else have that issue?

Also, what format should I render the video to for uploading. I am guessing MPEG-4 since that is what the orginal clips were.

It's not Vegas. The video files have no audio. I recommend downloading all assets at once, and you'll have three folders -- "videos", "graphics", and "audio".

As far as rendering, I searched and searched for a prefered format, from the contest organizers, and found nothing. I can only guess that they are reasonable enough to realize that different people have different rendering capabilities, and so they are willing to accept pretty much any format. I submitted h.264 mp4, but I have a feeling they'd be just as cool with mov or avi.

Last edited:
I was not sure I thought Vegas had a bug where it does not import the sound when you import the mpeg-4. I saw the earlier versions has some issue with mp4 files. So I was asking to see if anyone did get sound with their mp4 files or not?

I did download all assets. I did manage to use the audio they gave for special effects and music. But still would have liked to get some of the background sound from the video footage. I wonder if anyone has tried this with a different program like final cut or premiere to see if the files have sound or not for those mp4s.

I looked at the orginal video files and they seem to be mp4s with 720 x 480 x12. Frame rate of 23.976 IVTC Film. 1.2121 NBC DV wide screen. That is what I was seeing in vegas. Not sure if my project is all ready set up to convert those files to the project frame size. Probably. Anyways, I rendered at MP4 720 hd. Hope that works.

Pretty nice editing with nice video footage and quality sound (besides the sound issue I had with those clips).

I started out trying to edit with Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD and when I imported in the video the clips were offline. I had to down load the trial version of Sony Vegas Pro 11 to be able to import the video and add to the time line. Still had the sound issue though.

Last edited:
I did download all assets. I did manage to use the audio they gave for special effects and music. But still would have liked to get some of the background sound from the video footage.

Tell me about it. :)

From our perspective, this would've been much easier to edit, if we would've had at least just a few lines of dialog. But I think they want to narrow our focus. I think they have specific reasons for why they supplied the assets that they did, and nothing more.

Obviously I can't speak for them, but I think that if you export to mp4 720p, you'll be just fine.

And there's nothing wrong with Vegas. You can view the mp4 files outside of Vegas. They have no audio. And just since you asked, I edited on Premiere Pro CS5.

I was starting to think maybe quick time had an issue and since Vegas uses a plugin for quicktime that maybe that was the issue. Just wanted to make sure I was not missing something. Thanks cracker.

I just rendered to mp4 and played in quicktime and my audio did not show up eaither. There may be an issue.

Though I can't imagine there's any issue here (with the software), if you're editing in Vegas, there's no need for quicktime to even enter the conversation. These are not quicktime files. This is a very PC-friendly contest. Don't watch them in quicktime.

I am just trying to see if the audio in the video work. It looks like the render I did with Sony Vegas did not out put audio for some reason. I just imported it back into sony vegas and did not get sound. Again, this supports my thoughts that maybe there is some issue with mp4 with AAC audio with vegas/quicktime. Anyways, I am sure I could render what I have to another format that uses maybe mp3 audio instead. But this just makes me think there is some bug that I could maybe fix to get the AAC audio on the clips to work. Thus, having the background sound on all those media clips working.

NO!!! THERE IS NO "BACKGROUND SOUND"!!! IT'S NOT THERE!!! THEY ARE ALL MUTE!!! THE ONLY AUDIO IS IN THE AUDIO FILES!!!

I'm sorry I had to yell at you. But you're just not getting it. The video files are VIDEO ONLY.

Ok. I just thought maybe there were both video and audio. Anyways, I just rendered as my old standard MPEG2. It is only 16 bit audio though. I did 720 x 480 for frame. Just uploaded to the contest website.

Last edited:
You're making my brain hurt.

The "videos" have no audio. The "graphics" have no audio. The "audio", shockingly enough, does have audio.

And Vegas shouldn't have any problems with either mp4 or mp3. I don't know what more to say, other than best of luck? :weird:

Back