Awesome editing contest.

I am done. The mpeg 2 with 16 bit audio is uploaded to the contest site. Good luck cracker with winning. I did it more for fun than really thinking I would win.

Actually some of the clips had an audio layer. There was no sound and the sound waves were flat but for some reason there was a layer of empty audio that I had to detach and delete for some of them.

So how are you all coming along? I'm pretty much done, need some tweaking.

I compared mine to the several posted on youtube and overall those are pretty bad in my opinion. There was one I was really impressed with, posted by a fellow indietalker, whose name I won't mention (don't want him to get disqualified), but that was one of the only ones I was really impressed with. I don't know how good his chances are, with the thousands of people entering, but I wouldn't be surprised if he made it into the top 20.

Will be interesting to see what other people have. I thought we were not allowed to upload to youtube unless it was private video and only shared with a few people? Anyways, yeah I think mine turned out pretty good. But not sure how others are compared to mine. I only edited it together tonight so I could have spent more time on it.

Last edited:
Yeah you're not allowed to share it publicly. I guess all those people who uploaded to youtube are disqualified.

I plan on uploading mine as a private video so I can show a couple people who have the link. No harm in that. I'll probably do that after I submit it though.

I did see 3 or 4 good ones on youtube. Makes me wish I checked those out before I did mine. Would have gave me some good ideas. Anyways, mine is still pretty good but probably not as good as the best ones. I should have put in some more of the title stuff I did not do that except then end one. Overall I am happy with my entry.

Surprising how many did video with no sound. If you focused on sound design that would help you get a decent shot.

Last edited:
I am done. The mpeg 2 with 16 bit audio is uploaded to the contest site. Good luck cracker with winning. I did it more for fun than really thinking I would win.

Cool! Sorry if I got grouchy there. I'll definitely check yours out, and give you a friendly vote. :)

Yeah you're not allowed to share it publicly. I guess all those people who uploaded to youtube are disqualified.

I plan on uploading mine as a private video so I can show a couple people who have the link. No harm in that. I'll probably do that after I submit it though.

To me, it seems like the contest administrators have laid down some reasonable rules. I'm no lawyer, but as far as my English comprehension can tell, they are perfectly okay with us sharing a private online link with a small number of friends and family.

As for all the people who don't read the rules, and/or don't care, I'm kind of enjoying watching their videos. I've only watched a few, so far, but I kinda like this one --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jnFMoztuoA

I like what they did by almost following the style of the famous "Dragon Tattoo" trailer, but I particularly like the cut they made at the 0:10 mark.

Any other cool ones out there?

I downloaded the footage and will make an edit for fun.
I'm an European citizen after all: nothing to win and nothing to loose ;)

Cool! Sorry if I got grouchy there. I'll definitely check yours out, and give you a friendly vote. :)

To me, it seems like the contest administrators have laid down some reasonable rules. I'm no lawyer, but as far as my English comprehension can tell, they are perfectly okay with us sharing a private online link with a small number of friends and family.

As for all the people who don't read the rules, and/or don't care, I'm kind of enjoying watching their videos. I've only watched a few, so far, but I kinda like this one --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jnFMoztuoA

I like what they did by almost following the style of the famous "Dragon Tattoo" trailer, but I particularly like the cut they made at the 0:10 mark.

Any other cool ones out there?

Yeah that is a really cool trailer too. I don't remember the Dragon Tatto trailer. I will have to look that up.

I was looking through the contest videos and stumbled apon this video. Not a contest entry but pretty interesting. It is the Clint Eastwood It's Half Time speech from the Superbowl with Dark Knight/Dark Knight Rises footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKVSsrN-FNE

Last edited:
Cool trailers. The one CF posted was cool, but there was very little Chrysler footage and all the clips seemed just in random succession. No flow at all. The trailer is supposed to promote both the 300s and the movie. When I watch the trailer, all I remember is the movie, not the car.

I like Fernando's. :)

Here's a cool one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu1st05UfTE

too long though

On a side note, after all the trailers i've seen on this, I am so damn sick of that chanting thing in the trailers. Its sooooooooooo annoying. I applaud anyone who didn't include that in their trailer.

Last edited:
Cool trailers. The one CF posted was cool, but there was very little Chrysler footage and all the clips seemed just in random succession. No flow at all. The trailer is supposed to promote both the 300s and the movie. When I watch the trailer, all I remember is the movie, not the car.

I agree. And for those reasons, I don't think it has any chance of winning (besides the fact that they broke rules by posting it online). Also, the edit is pretty sloppy. I just appreciate the stylistic choice they made, by mimicking the "Dragon Tattoo" trailer. Nothing wrong with mimicry, we all do it right?

Rockstar, the "Dragon Tattoo" trailer --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVLvMg62RPA

The chanting -- actually, I'm a pretty big fan of it, both as an audience member and as an editor. As an audience member, I find it intriguing. I want to know who these people chanting are. How did Mr. Wayne find him surrounded by a bunch of supporters, in a third-world jail (?), chanting for him to "rise"? It makes me want to see the movie even more. As an editor of a short TV spot, I like the fact that it is quickly recognizable, and has come to represent TDKR. It's a nice hook.

Steve -- you can totally knock it out in four days. I spent a total of 12 hours on my rough cut, spread out over two days, then another hour to make revisions for my final cut. Do it! :)

Yeah I see your point about the chanting being instantly recognizable. Might help with brand recognition and that might be something they want to see.

On the other hand, watching hundreds of trailers that have the same thing might piss off the judges enough that they won't like it. Who knows.

I'm still working on my entry, it should be done soon. No chants for me.

Remember, Christopher Nolan will have final pick for the winning spot!

Back