audition locations

where do you usually hold actor auditions?

libraries? coffee shops? parks? friends house?

Last edited:
Lol, def not libraries or coffee shops.

It depends on the number of ppl ur auditioning. You could audition at ur house or rent a hall of some sort.

Ive always done them at my house or another crew members house but im getting involved with the local theater company for actors and plan on renting their space during the daytime. Daytime rates are pretty cheap since most places dont have anything going on then. If you have a large no of ppl, u might want to look into that.

Oh and another thing, make sure you and whoever is with you is organized beforehand. You dont want to have ppl there and setting things up then.

Lol, def not libraries or coffee shops.

I've used both a library and a coffee shop. Libraries often have extra rooms you're allowed to sign out for free, which can be perfect for those without a space for their production. A local independent coffee shop has an extra room that's almost never filled unless they're having a musical performance, and I've been allowed to hold auditions there as well. I've also done auditions in residential homes and garages. You limit your chances of finding someone, though, because not everyone will go to a residential location. Some people, namely young women, find it shady. Many managers/agents tell their clients to never go to an audition in a residential area.

Well, i was thinking about not making noise in a library and i was thinking of Starbucks when i heard coffee shops. But yeah, i guess if you have extra rooms there, that's fine.

I just never thought of using public places to hold auditions. You want your space and ur quiet and not disturb other ppl.

I've used our church building quite a bit. It works great because there's a sitting/lobby area for actors waiting and a closed room just the right size near it.

I've been in bands in the past and rental rehearsal rooms are pretty cheap. Renting a room there would work too. They're usually priced pretty cheap because musicians don't have any money haha.

I've only ever really used the rooms at film school which doesn't really count.

That said I've heard of people using coffee shops plenty of times. It really depends on what you're auditioning for. Obviously if it's an action role that requires them to throw themselves around then you'd probably be frowned upon at Tim Horton's but if it's a dialogue heavy drama then there's no reason why you can't. Also being able to act and express in a public place sets an interesting challenge.

But, all in all, I'd look for somewhere like a town or village hall. Do you have those in the US?

Is there something wrong with your couch?

Har har, just kidding. Anyway, in some cities, you might actually be able to secure some private space, in a public library, for free.

I'm not sure if this is a zero-budget thing, or if you're willing to spend some money on the audition, but you can secure a "proper" audition space (with a stage, and auditorium seating) for not very much. You just gotta call all the theater companies in the area; many of them have their own space, that when they aren't using are willing to rent out for cheap.

Local theatre groups are what I have relied on. Get in good with them and they will often work with you.

I've also used churches, schools (private schools where you have an "in," like a friend's mom who is a teacher there are good), library meeting rooms, community centers (how's the public park system-here the office that oversees parks also has indoor facilities for community things), try local colleges as well.

Firestations? Locally-owned stores that have a back room? Someone you know whose uncle has an office that's not used at night or on weekends? Again, think locally owned. Starbcuks isn't likely to be able to make special accomodations for you, but Ma & Pop's Coffee House would be (for a special thanks in the credits, of course).

Or you could go high tech and do auditions via Skype/YouTube, etc.

I have always found that using a small theater in town is quite
professional. Actors feel comfortable showing up at a theater,
there is a lobby where you can have an assistant checking times
and giving out sides and where the actors can prepare and a
stage to do the actual audition.

It sure gives off that "pro" feel to actors.

Thank you for the replies everybody!

Ernest Worthing - I won't be auditioning too many people (lower than 10), for two characters. 3 minute short.

SinEater - Agree on your view of doing videos in residential area.. It would sound creepy to say "We're holding auditions at my place"..

PaulGriffith - I like music room idea. I'll call around!

CF - Oh man, theater stage? That sounds fancy :yes: But i feel like id be too far away from the actor to see their performance. I would want to be RIGHT THERE, like 3 feet away from them, since they ll be taking my money :D

I'll definitely check out libraries meeting rooms. Like that idea!

Can't wait to make another movie!

Last edited:
CF - Oh man, theater stage? That sounds fancy :yes: But i feel like id be too far away from the actor to see their performance. I would want to be RIGHT THERE, like 3 feet away from them, since they ll be taking my money :D

Dude, absolutely. I think we're envisioning stages of different sizes. I'm talking more about rehearsal spaces, and/or small theaters. You would definitely have an intimate, yet (as directorik points out) professional feel. If you can find one for cheap, that's what I would do. In fact, I looked into it, here in Richmond, and found a good space at a right price. I just ended up deciding to cast 100% based on references, not a single audition.

Oh that's great advice on references.

I wonder if actors will be able to provide me with emails of their previous directors.. but that's for another topic. Don't want to derail the thread! indietalk is watching.... he's always watching..

Oh that's great advice on references.

I wonder if actors will be able to provide me with emails of their previous directors.. but that's for another topic. Don't want to derail the thread! indietalk is watching.... he's always watching..

It's your thread, I believe you can derail all you want! :D

I'm not saying that casting strictly through references is for everybody. In fact, I suspect it's not for most. I'm only relaying my experiences, and they may or may not work for you.

A few years ago, I was lucky enough to meet a dude (through work) who was really professional, had fun with what he was doing, yet still took his craft really seriously (and he's good at it). At the time, I was so frustrated, having dealt with volunteers flaking out, that I decided I should do nothing but work with this guys' acting friends. I figured, if I can trust this guy, then I should be able to trust those people whom he trusts. Fittingly, the first movie we made together, using this new strategy, ended up being titled "Birds of a Feather".

It was a terrific experience, and since then I've been very happy to work with this extended group of acting friends, and one friend keeps leading to another. I'm sure someday I'll want to hold auditions, but right now, I really like this network of actors I've tapped into.

Maybe something similar might work for you? Or, maybe a more traditional approach would work best.

i ve had similar experience with one of the actors. Unfortunately he moved from Chicago to Seattle about 4 months ago, and lost of his own acting contacts. He is freaking amazin, fun, and does acting as a hobby, to relax. Really really easy to work with!

Unfortunately, these sort of people are dime to dozen. Not just for actors, but for the crew as well. Had one of the sound guy to bail on the shoot several months ago because "traffic was too bad"... and he did it 4 hours before the shoot!

Eh, just gotta keep searching, and trust worthy list will slowly build up!

Wow. Three feet away is damn close. How can an actor even act
when the director is three feet away from them?

I, too, meant a small theater, not a 500 seat theater - just a small
space with a few chairs and a little stage and some lights. These are
all over southern California - 49 seats, 99 seats - maybe you don't
have anything like that where you are.

small-theatre-300x225.jpg

Oh haha, that tiny! love it.

Don't really go to theaters.. last one i visited was 500+ people auditorium!
I ll look into it.

These are great ideas, thank you everyone for your input!

Back