Audio-Technica ATR25

Hey everyone. Im getting ready to buy a Audio-Technica ATR25 shotgun mic. Im on a really tight budget of pretty much nothing and its $34 off amazon. Any one ever use this? Will it work ok with the kodak ZI8. Where is the sound guys at?

I doubt its going to be very good for $34 my man.

I'm going to be honest that you should save your money until you can afford one of the ones that many have suggested on this forum, such as the Rode NTG-2.

I did use the ATR55 for many years. If it's near the same, you can get good audio out of it.

outdoors. There's a ton of RF interference indoors that will end up overwhelming much of your audio that you'll be unable to filter out afterward. To get effective sound, you really need a balanced XLR system otherwise, the mic cord becomes an antenna for the RF interference. Motors and dimmers make it worse.

Here's how it sounds: http://www.yafiunderground.com/index.php?page=bolts&title=Y.A.F.I.:Nuts2Bolts

Any of the footage on that page has the problem in the audio. This was recorded using the ATR55 with CFL lights. The noise convinced me to bite the bullet and get a better microphone setup.

I know its cheap but im trying to film on the smallest budget possible. Knightly, love the video clips. Not only does it show what to expect out of the mic im looking into but it also shows me the basics of filming. very nice.

Understandable man, just sometimes doesn't make sense in the long run. Spend 34 dollars now plus shipping so lets say and even $40 or save up another $150 and buy a slightly used RODE 1 or 2 and have good sound for all your work to come?

Gooberman, I use a similar ATR-6550 for new one-man-band rig and it works great. I've even run 20' extended runs and not had any interference, inside office buildings rife with RF waves.

I know the physics of this do not make any sense, but I guess I got lucky.

It's not a pro mic, but it's definitely a cut above amateur.

And remember, if you follow L.I.F.E.'s sage advice, you'll also need to save up for a box to convert the Rode's XLR termination to 1/8" so you can plug it into your camera. If you just use an XLR to 1/8" adapter, the signal will be unbalanced and you'll run into the same interference problems. You need a Juicedlink or Beachtek adapater, which will run you probably another $100-$200 depending on new/used and which model.

Not a waste of money if you are eager to get out NOW and start shooting with something other than the camera's onboard mic.

Last edited:
thanks for the advice. I was looking at the beachtek adapter and it looks do'able for the future. My setup is pretty basic at the moment. Far from the high end camcorders and audio equipment most poster on this board probably own . But im going to get there eventually. Does the beachtek use phantom power? I have an 8 track recorder that has XLR's and run phantom. To bad its in illinois and im in alaska.

Don't get this mic.

It's battery powered... I personally never rely on batteries on my mic.

The windscreen looks cheap and ineffective.

It's stereo. Shotgun mics that are stereo are going to sound horrible.

The connectors are consumer-type and will pick up all sorts of stuff you don't want.

The mounts are plastic and will break easily...

You have to get an extension because the cable is about 10 inches long, which makes me think this is made to be an onboard mic and probably is why it's a stereo mic...

If you're serious about making a movie, save up 300$ and get a good mic.

Otherwise, this is good to play around with and will probably sound better than the mic on your point-and-shoot Sony camera.

Gooberman,
When you learn as you go, you will spend MORE money in the long run. You will upgrade your mic three or four more times in the next year or so. You WILL spend MORE than $300 by the time you get the mic that your really need, just accept it and get filming.

This is my model, it cost more, but I learn why a $50 mic isn't exactly what I need, though in truth it might be "good enough."

To ROC's specifics.

Battery powered anything is risky. But sometimes less complicated. For a one man show its really the best option, in my opinion.

Cheap windscreens suck, but you can DIY a dead cat for next to nothing. The windscreen on my atr55 works OK..

Stereo is BAD for this use. Find another mic, similar price (atr55) thats mono. Youll have audio only on ONE side (mono), but thats BETTER for editing and post stuff.

DIY a nice shock mount on the end of a painters extension pole!

Get a LONGER but not too long cable.

I've used the ATR55. It's not that much more than the ART35. Eventually, you'll definitely want to step up to something like the Rode NTG-2, and the extra dollars are definitely worth it. But for the time being, you're wanting to shoot ASAP, with the little money you have, I think the ATR55 will do you nicely. And, like wheat said, you can DIY a boom and shock mount.

Please, however, reconsider that camera, unless you've already purchased it. I am REALLY not a fan of people starting out with these pocket cams. If you already own it, then I'll spare you my rant. But, if you're still considering purchases, I'd like to tell you why I think that camera is a bad idea.

Please tell me. I am still considering the purchase. Though this has been a life long dream, it's still just a hobby. I know im being cheap but Iv waited for years and tired of procrastinating. Im deploying in about a year so i plan on using that time to learn then when i get back, im going to use my extra combat pay to get some real gear.

This is what you want:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SONY-Handycam-DCR-TRV18-MiniDV-Digital-Camcorder-L-K-/330454307495?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Camcorders_Professional_Video_Cameras&hash=item4cf09c92a7

When you're out shooting, time is of the essence. You're going to be working with volunteers, and it's not cool to keep them forever and ever. They'll only stay so long. So, you're going to want to get as much done as you can, in as little time as possible.

The pocket cams are not made for this kind of thing. They're made for people who want to get good video, while carrusing out on the town with their friends. They're not set up to allow you the kind of control you're going to want on a set.

Here are the big issues:

Focus ring, and exposure dial. The camera I'm suggesting has both. Pretty much all cameras these days offer manual focus and manual exposure (I think they do, anyway). But on the camera you're looking at, it's not going to be nearly as easy to adjust them as on the used camera I'm suggesting.

You don't wanna be fidgeting with awkward menus and touch screens. You're going to want the controls right at your fingertips. You're going to want a focus ring and exposure dial. With these two items, not only will your shoot run more smoothly, but you'll have more fun, as you won't constantly be messing with these little annoyances.

You're also going to wanna make sure to have manual white-balance (but that's pretty common) and an audio-in jack (also common).

Look at that price! I think it'd be a good idea to snatch this one up. You would normally have to spend somewhere around $250 to get a used camera with a focus ring. Most of them make you use a touch screen, or a stupid little incrimental button. You definitely want the ring.

One nice thing about the ultra compact cameras, particularly if your about to go on deployment, is that you can take them just about anywhere you can take a pack of smokes. Practicing getting good shots with that cam while in the field, would be a good use of your down time, be fun, etc. If you go that route. Get a handfull of 1/4 x 20 bolts. Thats the standard tripod mount screw tread size, you can make hasty mounts\tripods out of anything.

My immediate plans... For now i just want to record the kids and things that my family does here in alaska. our family is 4800 miles away so i plan on making dvd's to send home. But eventually like after afghanistan I want to get some good stuff. I was thinking like a canon HV20, 30, or 40. Or if im felling real froggy a canon xl h1 but i think that maybe a little to much... But for now something cheap.

Definitely get something cheap, for now. Have fun with it. By the time you're ready to spend a good chunk of change on something, the next fancy model will be out, so don't even start thinking about it yet. I will say, though, when the time comes, make sure you look into DSLR. I've been very happy with it. I don't think Canon could've expected the mad dash people have been making to get the T2i; I expect the next model will be even MORE video friendly. So, keep that in mind in the future.

I was just at some test Videos for the T2i and it looks pretty good. Its got kick ass DOF. That would render the DOF adapter Im currently building useless. Which would be cool because it kinda seems like a pain in the ass.

Back