• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Asking all Editors....

Hello,

I am an editor and I absolutely love Final Cut Pro. Working in a professional studio environment so far its always been Final Cut Pro 7. However with the release of X, many people are ready to jump ship.. So I am asking all of you professional editors, working freelance or in studio....

- How many of you continue to use Final Cut 7, and how many of you have already made the switch out of it?

- If you are no longer using Final Cut 7, what do you currently use? Avid... FCP X... Premiere?

I have FCP X and I love it so far, but then again before it my only experience was iMovie. I got FCP X as part of my software from Full Sail University for my degree.

Hello,

I am an editor and I absolutely love Final Cut Pro. Working in a professional studio environment so far its always been Final Cut Pro 7. However with the release of X, many people are ready to jump ship.. So I am asking all of you professional editors, working freelance or in studio....

- How many of you continue to use Final Cut 7, and how many of you have already made the switch out of it?

- If you are no longer using Final Cut 7, what do you currently use? Avid... FCP X... Premiere?

I grew up on FCP, but with the release of X have jumped over to Avid Media Composer. Honestly, I'm glad I made the jump and absolutely love it. Apple forcing my hand has been the best thing that's happened IMO, I love editing on MC much more than I did on FCP7.

I'm not a professional editor, but I love FCP X. I've used FCP 7 in the past, and while I understand that for pros, especially in broadcasting, there were some issues with X that needed to be addressed, I like FCP X because of its workflow. The rendering was always the issue in FCP 7 for me, which X eliminated, plus the workflow is just simpler, but still as robust IMO. I love features like match color, plus chroma keying is way easier in X. I still use Sony Vegas Pro 11 as my NLE of choice because I have a PC at home, but when I'm in the editing lab at school, it's always FCP X. I know a lot of people jumped ship and went to Avid or Premiere with the release of X but from what I understand, a lot of pro editors are slowly returning as Apple updates some of the missing features from X. I would recommend giving it another chance if you bailed on it right away. It might seem like "iMovie Pro" at first but honestly it can still do everything I need it to for film editing, and the magnetic timeline is a HUGE bonus when syncing audio, etc.

I'm still on FCP7. Here's my take on it as so many other reviews are so painfully forgetful of the past.

Adobe created a new video editing package, they called it "Final Cut" (weren't expecting that, were you?).
Adobe sold Final Cut to Macromedia.
Macromedia sold Final Cut to Apple.

This all happened for a variety of reasons, but the initial product Apple purchased was really raw. Early adopters had many problems with it crashing and not having all of the features that they as linear editors expected a "professional" editing package to have if they were going to move from their Steenbecks to a digital doohicky. The other options at that time (early 90s) were Diva Videoshop (precursor to Avid -- just flip the company name around) and the newly minted Adobe Premiere. Both had 2 video tracks and a transition track in between them.

Apple spent a year trying to make this old behemoth with code from 2 separate companies cut (pun intended) the mustard. After a year and a half or so of release after release, it finally hit its stride and was being adopted by professional editors with whom Apple worked very closely to give them what they needed from a package.

Apple, historically, has always been really good at taking very complicated and powerful systems and wrapping them in a deceptively simple UI. With the initial Mac, it was just a toy, but no other PC on the market could keep up with the graphics that were being drawn to screen constantly -- you could still see the remnants of that race in window draws on every thing up to Windows XP, frame first, then the contents of the window.

Apple bought NEXT with its BSD Unix based OS. The BSD community outcry was horrible, all 12 of them were shouting loudly, you can't wrap all this power in such a bubble gum looking interface. After a year and a half or so of development, Professional IT folks started to talk notice. The hugely powerful stuff was actually all still there for them, accessible through the "Terminal" program... but the rest of the system was suddenly accessible by more than just the comparatively small BSD community. That actual chunk of OS that EVERYBODY uses, was there and easy to get it. The power was hidden, but still there.

Apple bought Shake from Nothing Real, mostly for it's motion tracking and smoothing code "Optical Flow" you san see it in the motion tracking and smoothing in FCPX.
Apple bought Color from Silicon Color (it was called FinalTouch). You can now see it in a simplified form in the color panel of FCPX.
Apple's been developing iMovie for years and has a good feel for the simplified interface that MOST people actually need to do a quick editing project... this is the simplified interface part of the equation.

I've been in a neat position professionally to watch Apple develop things over the course of a couple of decades. Their latest and greatest are usually put together from a couple of fits and starts and smart acquisitions for key pieces of a puzzle... it wouldn't surprise me at all if they'd been planning this move for a decade. I've seen other projects start as pieces and parts to get to a simplified interface wrapped on top of really powerful technology. Apple's Standard Operating Procedure is to try to give high performance with a simplified interface. It often offends folks who are accustomed to power having a clunky interface... Final Cut is a completely non-Apple interface, it always has been, it was still fundamentally the interface they were handed by Macromedia who had been handed that interface by Adobe so long ago. The comments at the time was that the software would never catch on in the Apple community as the interface was so horrible and ungainly to work with and learn... so only dedicated professionals learned it... 1% of the potential market of the software... revenue hell!

Apple has used iMovie and the even more simplified interfaces of Quicktime Player (i've edited clips together using that -- so quit whining people ;) ) and the iOS editing options for video clips to gain a feel for how a simplified interface could work. It feels to me as if this was their testing ground all of these years for the revamp of Final Cut.

Hindsight is easy, but I've been able to look back at alot of their releases to see the technology trail that led up to it... Apple doesn't just do things, they are planned and methodical about everything. The outcry of the Final Cut community is nothing new. It's part of the strategy, it lets apple know what to add back next. The first release of FCPX was missing everything but the basest level of the interface. It really was iMovie with some Final Cut Server meta-tagging built in and more file format options than iMovie. The community screamed... the loudest, most frequent screams were for feature A... Apple added feature A back in. Feature B was then the next loudest, so Apple added in Feature B. (think backwards compatibility, then multicam) These are real issues, and Apple knows about them and is addressing them with each release. The nice thing is... they're able to do this one in a very Apple way and add them into a product with their own interface... so once it's all back in, the crap that no one used will just be gone and not bogging the program down on the back end.

There's really no other way to move forward with technology than to start fresh sometimes... and often the pros are the last to go into the future, because they're invested in the existing technology. I can't wait to see FCPX after the next few revisions. If it's like so much else Apple has done, every other company will be kicking themselves for clinging so tightly to the past... every other company will be playing catch up -- again.

I worked dual system Adobe and Final Cur for years. The jobs that required final cut I'd use it, but if it was my choice I always used premiere. I'm currently on Premiere CS5.5 and still have FC7 installed, but except for when Final Cut first released, Adobe was always better software and CS6 blows it all out of the water.

Not only do you get a more powerful NLE, but with Adobe you get all the other software that integrates seamlessly and you can copy and paste between, etc.

Not only do you get a more powerful NLE, but with Adobe you get all the other software that integrates seamlessly and you can copy and paste between, etc.

I'm thinking about making the switch from Vegas to Premiere Pro for this reason. I like Vegas and have been using it for quite some time but I also haven't worked much with After Effects in the past. I'm starting to get into doing some shorts with AE stuff and I feel like the workflow with the Adobe Creative Suite is the best choice for this. Plus, with the backlash against FCP X in the market, if I ever want to get into pro editing, I'm going to want to learn Premiere. I want to learn Avid as well but it's got quite the learning curve from what I hear.

I've always worked in Premiere Pro and was going to switch to Final Cut and get a new Mac. But since FCPX, i changed my plans and am continuing using PP.

If things change in the future, maybe ill make the switch. But for now PP is the more powerful tool to use.

Adobe created a new video editing package, they called it "Final Cut" (weren't expecting that, were you?).
Adobe sold Final Cut to Macromedia.
Macromedia sold Final Cut to Apple.

This all happened for a variety of reasons, but the initial product Apple purchased was really raw. Early adopters had many problems with it crashing and not having all of the features that they as linear editors expected a "professional" editing package to have if they were going to move from their Steenbecks to a digital doohicky. The other options at that time (early 90s) were Diva Videoshop (precursor to Avid -- just flip the company name around) and the newly minted Adobe Premiere. Both had 2 video tracks and a transition track in between them.
I do have to correct some of the history here - Macromedia was hired by Adobe to create a more 'professional' video editing application than their own Premiere, also to be based on Quicktime. Macromedia initally called it KeyGrip but eventually renamed it to Final Cut. They couldn't release it because of their ties (and borrowed code) with Truevision (who had a deal with Microsoft that excluded them to use software in conjunction with Quicktime). So, they couldn't sell it. Meantime, they decided to focus more on web solutions, so started looking for private buyers at NAB 1998. Interestingly, no-one wanted to buy it so Apple bought it and sought a buyer themselves. In the end, they couldn't find anyone either so decided to start developing it.

It really didn't take too much hold in the industry until about version 4 (2003), but interestingly from then until the release of FCPX, it grew in leaps and bounds - I remember going to an FCP seminar in 2007 where they announced they had over 1 million professional users from every major studio and television network. They were also announcing FCP Server (look how that turned out).

Avid was initially available in 1989 - the Avid/1. Initially very few used it, but by 1995, pretty much everyone was using it. I personally think the fact that they became an industry standard is owed in great part to the fact that they were the first and only really professional non linear editing system, and it came from a company who was only invested in furthering their products and listening to their professional user base.

My personal feeling with FCPX is that instead of listening to the consumer base - instead of going to the professionals that brought them to where they are, they listened to themselves. Apple is suddenly too good for everyone. And unfortunately, that's seen FCPX re-designed into a program first and foremost meant to make the company money. What good is selling 1 million copies of FCP to professionals, when you can sell 10 million copies to those who want to be, or think they are professionals.

Hindsight is easy, but I've been able to look back at alot of their releases to see the technology trail that led up to it... Apple doesn't just do things, they are planned and methodical about everything. The outcry of the Final Cut community is nothing new. It's part of the strategy, it lets apple know what to add back next. The first release of FCPX was missing everything but the basest level of the interface. It really was iMovie with some Final Cut Server meta-tagging built in and more file format options than iMovie. The community screamed... the loudest, most frequent screams were for feature A... Apple added feature A back in. Feature B was then the next loudest, so Apple added in Feature B. (think backwards compatibility, then multicam) These are real issues, and Apple knows about them and is addressing them with each release. The nice thing is... they're able to do this one in a very Apple way and add them into a product with their own interface... so once it's all back in, the crap that no one used will just be gone and not bogging the program down on the back end.

There's really no other way to move forward with technology than to start fresh sometimes... and often the pros are the last to go into the future, because they're invested in the existing technology. I can't wait to see FCPX after the next few revisions. If it's like so much else Apple has done, every other company will be kicking themselves for clinging so tightly to the past... every other company will be playing catch up -- again.

The problem is, Apple has essentially lost their professional market, who now not only are offered an inferior product, but have no faith in Apple as a company. And when I could buy Avid Media Composer at a heavily discounted price, I personally don't think I'll ever be turning back. Apple has lost me. I'll continue to use their computers and devices but as a company I've lost faith in them. They're completely focussed on the bottom line and you can see it in everything they do. I think Logic Pro will be next - when was the last real update for that? And then people will jumping to Pro Tools. Logic Pro in itself is an example of a great, professional product that they dumbed down to more of a prosumer product. Not quite as much as FCP, but it's getting there and I fear for those studios who use it exclusively when they dumb it down completely and stop support.

The thing with FCPX is, even if hey get all the features back in again within the next year or so - the professional market has already moved on. There's no care about knowing what FCPX can offer anymore because a choice had to be made and it was made. Apple's going to need to do as much work if they want to crack back into that market, as they did with the original FCP, which to me seems redundant, plus they'll be met by the hostility after cutting support. All those colourists who used Color for example had to scramble to get Resolve or something else, and they're certainly not going to buy FCPX just for it's colour editing which is inferior to Resolve's anyway.

Apple has a history of cutting products to keep a lean product and marketing strategy, and whilst that may be good for their bottom line, it's not good for customer satisfaction. I don't want to buy a program from Apple only to have it stall in development and then have it either discontinued (Shake?) or re-oriented to a prosumer market (FCPX). Even their computer line - they cut the 17" MBP which was the editor's laptop of choice, and I personally think it won't be long before the Mac Pro's are taken out of their computer line, they're a very small seller comparatively and haven't seen a proper update in a long time - for a company that's pioneering the Thunderbolt port, their Mac Pro's don't have a single one.

I'm very uncertain about Apple's products at the moment, with the exception being the iPhone, because that seems to be their biggest moneymaker and therefore what they'll care the most about if they get it wrong.

Anyway /end rant haha

An interesting history of Final Cut.

I still use 7. But I recently worked with an editor who was
using X and she was very versatile with it and loves it. I sat
in on several sessions and it looks really good to me. After
a few hours I was more open to giving it a try. It's very true
that many of us are resistant to change.

Back