• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Ask Us Anything About Screenwriting

*DISCLAIMER: I use CAPITALIZATION for EMPHASIS - not shouting.

As @indietalk pointed out in another thread, we have some extremely knowledgable members here that I think can answer ANY question about screenwriting that any of you may have. I think it would be great if we kept the thread going with all those questions. If this isn't allowed? I apologize and please delete the thread. It just seems like we should have an ONGOING place to answer all these questions.

There are NO stupid questions. Ask away!

Last edited:
Well I was simply looking for the best way, just because it is on the internet does not mean it is the correct or best way.

So much for asking simple questions lol - The irony, you ask a simple question from pros and they simply say to use google instead of giving advice from their experience of the best path.
I think there's quite a few good answers/replies here for you to begin the journey of learning how to take a story and turn it into a screenplay. The big thing here however, is you've told us you basically know nothing about writing or formatting a screenplay so at least in my perspective? You've got to understand how that works FIRST and FOREMOST which is why we threw some examples at you.

I think once you've actually written out some screenplay elements and see how they look on the page? It will come together for you pretty quick.

Once you understand that part and can more or less do it yourself? Try taking some of your own story and doing it yourself... If you need help? Throw it up here somewhere so we can take a look. I'd be more than happy to take some aspect of your story and show you how I'd transcribe it into screenplay/screenplay format right here on the forum.

I think there's quite a few good answers/replies here for you to begin the journey of learning how to take a story and turn it into a screenplay. The big thing here however, is you've told us you basically know nothing about writing or formatting a screenplay so at least in my perspective? You've got to understand how that works FIRST and FOREMOST which is why we threw some examples at you.

I think once you've actually written out some screenplay elements and see how they look on the page? It will come together for you pretty quick.

Once you understand that part and can more or less do it yourself? Try taking some of your own story and doing it yourself... If you need help? Throw it up here somewhere so we can take a look. I'd be more than happy to take some aspect of your story and show you how I'd transcribe it into screenplay/screenplay format right here on the forum.
I will google it, thanks:) I just wanted to see a draft turn into a script and methods used by experience, how it "looks" and is formatted, nothing else.

Last edited:
We shouldn't be telling people to google when the title literally says ask ANYTHING here for the experts. Wasn't the whole point that they ask US instead of others or google? And there are no dumb questions ;) Carry on.
I have about 30 things I do, this is just one of them. I really DO want to learn the best methods and not just search the internet for myself. Yes, I can learn how to write a script, but there is a TON of experience by someone giving an example, and that was what I was searching for. Not to be at an intermediate level at this and then ask questions. It's not that I am lazy, I just want to learn the best from the best and gain experience from people that actually do this as their passion/work.

Thanks - if anyone else is reading this, don't be put off by my question, it is a simple question, but when a simple question is answered by pros, the question is no longer simple and can be valuable.

I have about 30 things I do, this is just one of them. I really DO want to learn the best methods and not just search the internet for myself. Yes, I can learn how to write a script, but there is a TON of experience by someone giving an example, and that was what I was searching for. Not to be at an intermediate level at this and then ask questions. It's not that I am lazy, I just want to learn the best from the best and gain experience from people that actually do this as their passion/work.

Thanks - if anyone else is reading this, don't be put off by my question, it is a simple question, but when a simple question is answered by pros, the question is no longer simple and can be valuable.
I took your question as instead of you googling to find proper format, you wanted to know if one of the exerts could recommend one, as there is tons of false information on the net.

So let's keep this going, and also what you can keep in mind is formatting your question in a way that does not look like you are being lazy, which you were not. Formatting is important for screenplays... and forum posts. :)

We shouldn't be telling people to google when the title literally says ask ANYTHING here for the experts. Wasn't the whole point that they ask US instead of others or google? And there are no dumb questions ;) Carry on.
Again, I apologize to Dean and the forum.

I posted the LMGTFY in jest. Having a little fun. And then posted a serious
link. I see my little joke was taken wrong. Won't happen again.

Last edited:

@directorik even qualified that the link was in jest and not to be taken seriously... This is what I was talking about in another thread when I was saying that things can easily get out of hand.

@Dean Jay, I think any of us would be happy to explain how to do what you've asked but to ask us to show you how to do it for even one-third of a story is just way too much for anyone to commit to on a forum. Why not just give us some of your short story... No more than say a half page and let us show you how we'd approach formatting it into screenplay form? Just like you didn't want to have to Google anything and get the answers from us? We don't have the time to go searching for a short story we can adapt here in front of you. What you're asking for is much more than an hour's worth of anyone's time.

I've reread the thread and thus far? I think you've been given plenty of information to begin... Like I said before, you have to know how to write a screenplay FIRST and FOREMOST. You have to know HOW to take prose from the story and CONVERT IT to screenplay elements and screenplay format.

Once you UNDERSTAND how that works? It should come together for you rather quickly.

But? Like I said... I'm willing to show you how I would go about it here on the forum if you're willing to provide the excerpt.

@directorik even qualified that the link was in jest and not to be taken seriously... This is what I was talking about in another thread when I was saying that things can easily get out of hand.

@Dean Jay, I think any of us would be happy to explain how to do what you've asked but to ask us to show you how to do it for even one-third of a story is just way too much for anyone to commit to on a forum. Why not just give us some of your short story... No more than say a half page and let us show you how we'd approach formatting it into screenplay form? Just like you didn't want to have to Google anything and get the answers from us? We don't have the time to go searching for a short story we can adapt here in front of you. What you're asking for is much more than an hour's worth of anyone's time.

I've reread the thread and thus far? I think you've been given plenty of information to begin... Like I said before, you have to know how to write a screenplay FIRST and FOREMOST. You have to know HOW to take prose from the story and CONVERT IT to screenplay elements and screenplay format.

Once you UNDERSTAND how that works? It should come together for you rather quickly.

But? Like I said... I'm willing to show you how I would go about it here on the forum if you're willing to provide the excerpt.
I do not want to put anyone out, let me think. Ok a short story turned into a screenplay..

One paragraph turned into a script:) I just want to see how a short story transpires into a film script 'accurately'. I don't want anyone to spend a lot of time, just break it down as an example so I have an idea. I am not trolling, I really would like to see how this works lol, I understand if nobody wants to use their own work as an example etc\

Jack London, To Build a Fire

Or any short story. Thanks yall

Thanks

Last edited:

Okay... Here you go. This excerpt is from my own book, AMERICAN REST STOP. The problem here of course is that the forum doesn't really allow me to paste it here as it should actually look but hopefully, you get the gist... Again, this is from my book.

A fiery ball of red-hot, New Mexico sun hung high in the sky as the Chrysler Town and Country minivan sped along the crack-infested highway. Even with sunglasses, the pulsating heat waves distorting the horizon mesmerized Kris Redfield. For miles upon miles, every crack in the eroding blacktop bubbled with heated tar. The sound emitted from the tires was random, yet seemed to contain a pattern and it was that pattern that induced a trance-like state within her.

She was a beguiling thiry-six years. An attractive, shimmering blonde soccer mom complete with four kids in addition to the requisite minivan. Not to mention the workaholic husband she left back home who was once again, too goddamn busy to accompany his family on their annual summer road trip to Grandma and Grandpa's. This was the fourth year in a row he'd stayed home. She snapped out of it as nine year old Sarah continued singing from the rear of the vehicle:

"Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream. Row, row, row your boat."

"It's row, row, row the boat, Sarah!" bullied Sarah's older brother, Kyle.

"No it's not, Kyle! Mom?" shrieked Sarah in one of her frequent solicitations.

Kris peeked her solid green eyes over her Ray-Ban Predator sunglasses, into the rearview mirror and directly at the eleven year old, "Kyle?" she admonished. This wasn't the first time Kris warned Kyle about purposely annoying his little sister.

Kyle observed his mother's penetrating scowl and read her mind.

Kris diverted her glare at Kyle over to Sarah and adjusted to a more nurturing, encouraging sparkle, "Try again, Baby Girl." She caught a glimpse of her fourteen year old son Scott, banging his head to the music streaming from his iPod but loud enough for her to hear through the earbuds. She was about to tell him to turn it down when she noticed Sarah's haughty expression:

"Row, row, row your boat," beamed Sarah to Kyle.

Kyle angrily joined in, "Row, row, row your boat..."

Sixteen year old Bryan sat in the front passenger seat going over a New Mexico road map and decided this was his chance, "You look pretty tired, Mom."

I'm not letting you drive with your brothers and sister in the back," Kris checked the LCD speedometer and immediately let off the gas when she saw the number 86, "We'll find a rest stop."

"But Dad says rest stops are dangerous!"

"And he stops at them all the time, doesn't he?"

Okay... So these are pages from the book... Imagine that they are formatted properly like IN A BOOK. LOL.

Wasn't quite sure HOW to insert the 2 pages here because I'm not aware if we can embed a PDF on the forum so I just did two screen captures of the two pages I transcribed from the above prose:

ARS-Page-1-Transcribed-From-Book.png

ARS-Page-2-Transcribed-From-Book.png
Hope this helps... If you have questions? Just ask.

Last edited:
I do not want to put anyone out, let me think. Ok a short story turned into a screenplay..

One paragraph turned into a script:) I just want to see how a short story transpires into a film script 'accurately'. I don't want anyone to spend a lot of time, just break it down as an example so I have an idea. I am not trolling, I really would like to see how this works lol, I understand if nobody wants to use their own work as an example etc\

Jack London, To Build a Fire

Or any short story. Thanks yall

Thanks

I think I pretty much answered this with my own example above... But here's a very quick, down and dirty example of TO BUILD A FIRE. I read the entire story which is MOSTLY character thoughts and while I don't have the time to stick the entire story into a screenplay for purposes of answering your question... Here's how I decided to tackle the first few pages... Again, if you have questions, just ask.
To-Build-a-Fire.png

Last edited:
Now that is cool. :)

Have a lot going on, will get back to this, very cool stuff. Just have a lot going on, as I said in intro post. Cool as hell reply, and is a passion, just not where I am putting full interest just yet, not that It doesn't warrant it..just how things go. Really love your passion at this craft and "game" at this man. I will be back later for more:)

Last edited:
I also think, want to make a Netflix show? Just read a book and there are so many elements to easily put it into a Netflix pic.
The idea of cinema is...just not with the times.

kinda like a celeb ordering bbq from Tennessee .... at a party while in Texas. Not that it was Y2K or anything lol

Last edited:
Here's a question ... How would I describe the following in an ACTION line without any dialog?:

SITUATION:
PERSON_A has just asked a question to PERSON_B which, after more careful consideration, the answer should be obvious. PERSON_B expresses a look to PERSON_A without any words but what I want to convey simply through an ACTION LINE would be as though the following words were said:

"Are You Seriously asking me how I know? It is bloody obvious, Isn't it"?? I know how to act that expression but trying to describe it with words is giving me fits.

Here's the animated gif of the sort of expression Id like to describe as an action line without dialog

Here's a question ... How would I describe the following in an ACTION line without any dialog?:

SITUATION:
PERSON_A has just asked a question to PERSON_B which, after more careful consideration, the answer should be obvious. PERSON_B expresses a look to PERSON_A without any words but what I want to convey simply through an ACTION LINE would be as though the following words were said:

"Are You Seriously asking me how I know? It is bloody obvious, Isn't it"?? I know how to act that expression but trying to describe it with words is giving me fits.

Here's the animated gif of the sort of expression Id like to describe as an action line without dialog

Could you say something along the lines of "B is incredulous at A's ignorance"?

Back