Artistic Non-Art films that are not on your usual great films lists...

Okay, this is sort of a tricky question. I'm looking for films that are not art films, but are still "artistic". Now, obviously, the films that are generally regarded as the greatest films of all time ARE art, but I'm looking for something else. I think an example or two will help explain what i'm looking for: Solaris (1972) (which actually is on alot of great films lists, but anyway) and Hunger (2008). Do you get what i mean now? Beautiful, lyrical, slow-moving (doesn't have to be slow moving, but Solaris and Hunger were so...). Any suggestions?

Antonioni: "The Passenger"
Coppola: "The Conversation"
Kubrick: "Barry Lyndon"
Kubrick: "2001: A Space Odyssey"
Altman: "Fool For Love"
Wenders: "Paris, Texas"
Bertolucci: "The Last Tango In Paris"
de Heer: "Dingo"
Welles: "F for Fake"

It probably is considered an "Art" film, I just think it's artistic and makes me think:

Linkletter's "Waking Life"-is in top my 10 films, I watch it endlessly-always makes me think and wonder.

Even though it's Disney, I think "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" is a concept that I think worked wonderfully and beautifully.

Again, these may not be exactly what you're looking for-but it's also subjective (Hey if Dready can put First Contact....;))

I think you'll get a lot interpretations, depending on the personalities-which is good though, it will give you a lot of different views on what we consider moving....:)

Dennis Hopper: "The Hot Spot"
Todd Field: "The Little Children"
Duncan Jones: "Moon"
Kyle Henry: "Room"
Steve Collins: "Gretchen"

Back