Anyone help me with After Effects?

So I came home from school today with my mind set on figuring out how to use After Effects. And for the most part I have succeeded, until a few hours ago where I ran into a problem.

Rotoscoping.

Im on CS4, there is no Rotobrush. I would have CS5 but I am running 32-Bit.

I am using raw outdoor footage, no screens I can chroma out or anything.

Does anyone have a quicker way to do this? I am just masking and masking and masking frame by frame.. and I am extremely impatient, and not satisfied with the crapy job I am doing with this stupid pen tool.

I looked on google, youtube, all that. Haven't found anything to help.

All you guys seem great at this stuff, sooooo...

If anyone had an easier way, I would be so happy... :(

I'll 3rd the statement... you're probably doing it right, it's not magic, just tons of fiddly hard mind numbing work.

Video Copilot has great AE lessons and roto is a very common thing... one thing that may help is is you break up your masks into solids and use a series of them that define an overall more complex shape... for instance... If masking an arm, treat each of the fingers, the body of the hand, the forearm and the upper arm separately... as they don't change shape much individually but make the complex shape when combined.

I'll 3rd the statement... you're probably doing it right, it's not magic, just tons of fiddly hard mind numbing work.

Video Copilot has great AE lessons and roto is a very common thing... one thing that may help is is you break up your masks into solids and use a series of them that define an overall more complex shape... for instance... If masking an arm, treat each of the fingers, the body of the hand, the forearm and the upper arm separately... as they don't change shape much individually but make the complex shape when combined.

I watched a few of those lessons! I didn't see a roto one. I would think all those masks would make it more difficult.. I'll check out Video Copilot though :) Thanks!

hey, rotoscoping! I love rotoscoping. lol. I rotocoped with microsoft paint, of all programs..now THAT takes time and effort. lol. I remember spending weeks on like one shot...haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGk4iH3YK0o

you know, if anyone cares to watch...sorry, got a bit off topic, there. the second I read "rotoscoping", I jumped right onto my own work. I consider myself to be somewhat talented in rotoscoping...but anyways, yeah, it requires a HUGE amount of patience, I'm so glad I started it with ms paint. now with an "actual" program and a drawing tablet, it's a piece of cake for the most part.

Back