• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Anybody abandoning FCP...for good?

Since Apple is stopping the sale of FCP 7 / FCP Studio 3, are you going to switch to Avid or Premiere...or are you going to stick with FCP 10 (aka iMovie 2)?

CS5 is simply fantastic. I'm pretty sure you'll like it.

I first learned how to edit, using FCP, and I've used it a few times since then, in various stages of the software's development. The interfaces are practically identical.

The only thing that will take time transitioning is knowing the shortcuts. But basic functionality transitions quite easily.

As for stability, they're just about equal at this point.

Ding, ding, ding . . . I noticed you used the word "about"!!!

Not so sure, eh? :lol:

Blanket statements and rampant fanboy-ism is idiotic

I was answering the OP's question. What do you want me to do? Lie?

------------------

If my Mac decision is idiotic fanboyism to you I wonder what you have to say about my picking a Droid over the iPhone, eh?

CS5 is simply fantastic. I'm pretty sure you'll like it.

I first learned how to edit, using FCP, and I've used it a few times since then, in various stages of the software's development. The interfaces are practically identical.

The only thing that will take time transitioning is knowing the shortcuts. But basic functionality transitions quite easily.

On 5.5 their is a setting for FCP shortcuts:yes:

i have it and love it

I will not make a movie on a PC.

Adobe sells Premiere Pro for the mac and have for years.

As I say every single time these useless debates come up - it's the artist not the brush that counts. Anyone who says a Mac is better than a PC or Avid is better than that as simply stating their own preferences. Your mileage may vary. There are way too many factors to a mac or PC to determine what causes crashes and what doesn't when it comes to video editing. 99% of the time it's user error on both sides of the Apple/PC lines.

Why not debate which is the best car made for the price or which french fries taste the best? You are no more likely to get a less objective answer to those questions.

Ding, ding, ding . . . I noticed you used the word "about"!!!

Not so sure, eh? :lol:

Actually, Windows 7 is the most stable (no abouts, ifs, ands or buts) operating system I've ever used. And I've used a lot. I was the IT guy in college. I used to get calls during frosh week saying "boo hoo, my internet is broken" :) - Damn it paid well

But of course, to each his own :cool:
cheers

I had no choice. My version of FCP and Imovie only edits DV. I went over to Premiere for a while. Then, I got hooked on Vegas Pro.

I have since only gotten Premire Elements to convert HD Avi files into Mpeg HD files for Vimeo and DVDs to speed up the DVD authoring rendering time.

Oh, snap, we've got another PC/Mac rumble on our hands? I haven't seen one of these in months! That's it, I'm taking my gloves off!

What Sonnyboo said is 100% correct, in my opinion. Both systems work, fantastically, if you know how to use them. Arguments about which is better are nothing more than pure preference.

Me? I prefer to not spend any more money than I have to. And there is no denying that PC will get you the same thing, at way less the cost. Sorry, Mac-heads, it's true.

This is purely anecdotal, but in my experience, people who swear by Mac have really only used Mac. People who swear by PC use both, on at least a semi-regular basis. And we're experienced enough to realize that they're both quite functional, yet one is considerably less expensive than the other.

BTW -- Windows 7, 64-bit, with CS5 -- gravy!

Back