series Any love for miniseries here?

I recently rewatched I, Claudius and was just astounded by how good it was. It's the best thing I've ever seen from the BBC. That's got me thinking of all the other great miniseries I've seen, like The Six Wives of Henry VIII, Band of Brothers, and Masada. The miniseries is such an epic format for storytelling; I wish that it was given its due, but it just doesn't seem to be taken as seriously and isn't as popular as it should be. I'm sure there are some really great ones out there that I'm missing. Give me some that I should track down!

Top five TV miniseries, anyone?

I'm not sure I could make a Top 5.

The BBC sure used to make a lot of great ones... that America has no problem adapting and butchering. :(

On a bit of a tangent, but I think movie The Truman Show would have been much better off as a mini-series. Much more time to explore what's happening. The film just feels compacted and very rushed.

I love the miniseries and think they sometimes achieve cinematic storytelling potential that can exist in no other medium. Off the top of my head:

"State of Play" from the BBC
"Island at War" from the BBC
"The Winds of War" from NBC (I think)
"War and Remembrance" from NBC (I think)
"Amerika" from NBC (I think)

At one time Kubrick was going to make a film of Napoleon but scrapped it because he couldn't figure out how to condense it into a film. I think I read an interview with him somewhere where he mentioned the miniseries as a possible medium. Imagine for a moment if Kubrick had done Napoleon as a miniseries...

On a further side note, I disagree with Zen and think The Truman Show would have been much better as a 23 minute Twilight Zone episode.

Forgot about another one of my favorites...the original "V." That was an awesome miniseries, which was followed by a sequel, and then later became a regular show. I couldn't get with the recent remake, but the original was great.

It's always the failed series that get me the most. Terry Gilliam was signed to make Watchmen back in the '90's, but would only do it if they made it a miniseries. What I wouldn't give to see that...

BBC do make really good miniseries, i know my favourite one was Survivors, simple story line but such realistic acting etc. When i see a miniseries coming to BBC i do get a little excited..

Back