Any DSLRS that don't overheat?

I've looked around and I can't find any. I was using mine today to shoot a lot of continuous outdoor footage, without cutting much in between. After about 15 minutes with a 16 GB card, the cam started to overheat. It was already hot since it was about 95 degrees out, and I was worried that the heating of it already would slow down footage. A lot of the footage had to be shot while driving so I could just turn it off, since location movement was a factor.

I turned it off once it started to overheat, waited a minute, then turned it back on, but it immediately overheated again. I used a cooling gel pack around the camera, which was recommended to me, but that does nothing! It still kept overheating a few seconds each time I tried turning it back on. I feel like my T2i was a rip off, and I need something better for shooting in hot weather conditions. I know I want to make movies, and not suppose to shoot a scene in one 12 minute take, but mine was overheating only after shooting for a couple of minutes at a time, after shooting for about 12 minutes straight that is, then starting over. I couldn't even start over for longer than two minutes after waiting a bit!

Any other DSLRs or cheap cameras under say $1000 that can shoot 24fps at 1080, where you have full manual controls over the settings like the T2i? I'm looking for one can shoot just as good. I was told the T2i can shoot better than the HV series of canon, so if that's true, than I might need something more, but don't know. I also want a camera that doesn't come with any dirty tricks to be aware of such as overheating after 15 and not being able to cool down any time soon. I tried researching all I could before I bought and still no one, nor no website I came across told me about the overheating before I bought. It seems with every expensive piece of technology there is always a con that comes with it, that is not explained often, and I would like to limit that for my next cam.

I also forgot to ask. I was told that the canon T2i shuts off after every 12 minutes to prevent overheating. However, if a DSLR does that not have that problem, is there one that can shoot 45 minutes straight with a 16 GB card?

Last edited:
Also, I ve read somewhere that having a chilled bucket with ice is always a good idea. Just put a camera in a plastic bag, and burry it in ice for a couple of minutes. ;)
When I was a Navy Corpsman we learned that if you run outta water urine is (likely) sterile and an acceptable hydration option.
Since ice may not be redily available on a hot summer shoot, think he could just... wizz on the camera to cool it off?
Put it in a plastic ziplock, of course.
Before wizzin' on it! Duh! :lol:

A 7D is weather sealed. People shoot in the rain and snow all the time. Skip the baggy haha.
Cool!
Straight from the tap, then!
Towel dry and start shooting in two shakes of a lamb's... umm... uhh... tail. Yeah. Lamb's tail.

Last edited:
Okay thanks. The gel pack I brought for the camera was still partially frozen and about as cold as a bucket of ice though, so does ice really make a difference? Kind of pain to lug ice anyway. Sure I'll keep the camera for now, see how it does and then decide. So out of curiosity what causes it to overheat so easily? There doesn't seem to be a motor, or any moving parts when it runs. I read a forum where someone posted that Canon built the camera to overheat on purpose, just so it wouldn't be classified as a video camera.

Okay thanks. The gel pack I brought for the camera was still partially frozen and about as cold as a bucket of ice though, so does ice really make a difference? Kind of pain to lug ice anyway. Sure I'll keep the camera for now, see how it does and then decide. So out of curiosity what causes it to overheat so easily? There doesn't seem to be a motor, or any moving parts when it runs. I read a forum where someone posted that Canon built the camera to overheat on purpose, just so it wouldn't be classified as a video camera.

To be completely honest I have no idea whats inside a DSLR camera other than a processor and a sensor. But overheating is caused by inefficient cooling within the camera. I don't know what it has to disperse, or get rid of heat created by the processor or sensor.

Oh okay. So it just needs more ventilation plainly.

Not really, a little ventilation would help, but dust is another factor to consider, and a more effective way is to transfer heat from the processor is by using a heatsink. But again I'm not sure what the T2i uses to cool its processor or sensor, or what ever. So I don't know really know whats causing it to overheat.

Aside from that people just say to take out the battery pack, and give the processor, or sensor a few minutes (5 min at least) to cool down.

I'm not sure you totally get the humor, so to prevent a thread in a few weeks titled "I dipped my camera in water and now it doesn't work." let me clarify:

No wet cooling strategies. Condensation will occur and jack your camera up. If overheating is a real problem you're either using the camera wrong or you need to go multi cam. When one overheats, swap the body and keep going.

It's usually not a problem but the in the heat lately it has been. It's not that I just leave it on. I turned it off, for a few seconds in between 12 minutes. I might have turned it off twice in between 12 minutes, and still after 12 it overheated, even though I turned it off a few seconds a couple of times. Strange. I will either keep it for now, and wait or I could sell it for more now, and get a better cam. Mine is worth more now, then later, but if I wait, a better camera that can shoot for hours, will be worth less. So it's a coin flipper.

What do you mean multicam?

It's usually not a problem but the in the heat lately it has been. It's not that I just leave it on. I turned it off, for a few seconds in between 12 minutes. I might have turned it off twice in between 12 minutes, and still after 12 it overheated, even though I turned it off a few seconds a couple of times. Strange.

What do you mean multicam?

He means having more than one camera, and alternating between them.

I will either keep it for now, and wait or I could sell it for more now, and get a better cam. Mine is worth more now, then later, but if I wait, a better camera that can shoot for hours, will be worth less. So it's a coin flipper.
You could say that about every camera, so just choose something you like, and stick with it.

Aside from that I haven't heard of anyone having problems with the Panasonic GH2 overheating. You might want to research that camera.

EDIT: Here's a video of Phillip Bloom filming his mom cooking with the GH2.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSIK4dzdI_U

Last edited:
Get a car with airco.
Don't expose ur camera to sunlight when it doesn't have to.

Test whether overheating is less when you limit yourself to 10 minutes per shot.

Know the limits off your equipment and manouvre around them.

Try thinking in solutions instead of problems.

Somebody is doing something wrong because I'm in Florida where it's a little *warm* in the summer and haven't overheated the camera once.

10 minute continuous shots? Really?

These aren't event cameras. Shoot to edit...plan your shots...the camera will be off 75% of the time. Give it a whirl. A great byproduct is your shooting ratio won't look like the odds for the Miami Dolphins winning the super bowl.

Yeah usually I don't have a problem, but for shooting these freeways too add CGI in later has been a problem. I will replan the shots though. I guess can't concentrate as well knowing I'm on a timer. But I'll get to use it. If I go for the GH2 can the canon lenses hook onto that?

Yeah usually I don't have a problem, but for shooting these freeways too add CGI in later has been a problem. I will replan the shots though. I guess can't concentrate as well knowing I'm on a timer. But I'll get to use it. If I go for the GH2 can the canon lenses hook onto that?

No, they have different mounts. But you can buy an adapter for canon lenses, or buy third party lenses, or buy there lenses.

lulz

I did google that before, and read some sites, but I don't wanna be in store for any unexpected tricks, so I wanted opinions from people and not articles. Thanks for the input people. I'll keep this canon for now, till I decide. One of you said the GH2 shot for over 5 hours, but how does it do that, since there is no data card to support 5 straight hours of shooting. Not that I'd need that though, just curious.

I did google that before, and read some sites, but I don't wanna be in store for any unexpected tricks, so I wanted opinions from people and not articles. Thanks for the input people. I'll keep this canon for now, till I decide. One of you said the GH2 shot for over 5 hours, but how does it do that, since there is no data card to support 5 straight hours of shooting. Not that I'd need that though, just curious.

He clearly stated he swapped cards every 45 minutes.

Back