Any DSLRS that don't overheat?

I've looked around and I can't find any. I was using mine today to shoot a lot of continuous outdoor footage, without cutting much in between. After about 15 minutes with a 16 GB card, the cam started to overheat. It was already hot since it was about 95 degrees out, and I was worried that the heating of it already would slow down footage. A lot of the footage had to be shot while driving so I could just turn it off, since location movement was a factor.

I turned it off once it started to overheat, waited a minute, then turned it back on, but it immediately overheated again. I used a cooling gel pack around the camera, which was recommended to me, but that does nothing! It still kept overheating a few seconds each time I tried turning it back on. I feel like my T2i was a rip off, and I need something better for shooting in hot weather conditions. I know I want to make movies, and not suppose to shoot a scene in one 12 minute take, but mine was overheating only after shooting for a couple of minutes at a time, after shooting for about 12 minutes straight that is, then starting over. I couldn't even start over for longer than two minutes after waiting a bit!

Any other DSLRs or cheap cameras under say $1000 that can shoot 24fps at 1080, where you have full manual controls over the settings like the T2i? I'm looking for one can shoot just as good. I was told the T2i can shoot better than the HV series of canon, so if that's true, than I might need something more, but don't know. I also want a camera that doesn't come with any dirty tricks to be aware of such as overheating after 15 and not being able to cool down any time soon. I tried researching all I could before I bought and still no one, nor no website I came across told me about the overheating before I bought. It seems with every expensive piece of technology there is always a con that comes with it, that is not explained often, and I would like to limit that for my next cam.

I also forgot to ask. I was told that the canon T2i shuts off after every 12 minutes to prevent overheating. However, if a DSLR does that not have that problem, is there one that can shoot 45 minutes straight with a 16 GB card?

Last edited:
I did google that before, and read some sites, but I don't wanna be in store for any unexpected tricks, so I wanted opinions from people and not articles. Thanks for the input people. I'll keep this canon for now, till I decide. One of you said the GH2 shot for over 5 hours, but how does it do that, since there is no data card to support 5 straight hours of shooting. Not that I'd need that though, just curious.

That was me.

Here, I'll save you the trouble of going back to page 1 of the thread.

Ran mine (GH2) for nearly 5 hours straight - rolling the entire time save for card swaps every 45 minutes or so - without a single problem.

He clearly stated he swapped cards every 45 minutes.

To be fair, my 8GB cards work out to about 44 mins 30 something seconds at 1080/24p. I probably popped cards up to a minute early rather than letting them roll out. Having said that I can swap a card and be back rolling in a matter of seconds. ;)

It's quite a shame to see people taking the time to offer advice and it not even being read properly.

Right? ;)

I shot in a warehouse with no AC, at 98° for an entire day with no problems from my GH2.
Its a better camera (heating, lens selection, image quality) than my Canon or any of the other Canons I've used.

Gh2 is the best camera for the money right now no question.

Back