And The New Batman is....

Ben Affleck!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23806756

Not sure how I feel about that one, but I'm optimistic. Ben's a great actor, so could make for a really deep Bruce Wayne. Can't imagine him being quite as razor straight as Christian Bale, which is probably a good thing in a film that will feature aliens! I'm quite excited about this....

Not feeling the proposed title though.... "Batman vs. Superman" :no:

On the plus side...

At least now when I profess my love for Sucker Punch, noone can claim it's the still worst decision Zack Snyder ever made.
smiley_colbert.gif

But to be fair... I remember when Michael Keaton was first announced as Batman, and everyone (including myself :blush:) wanted to string Warner Bros up by their thumbs. Turns out, Keaton surprised us all and delivered some of the best Bat-performances ever. So whadda I know :/

I mean, he couldn't be much worse than the previous guy.. (I won't mention his name lest I get ranted at in a similar fashion to Shane Hurlbut ;))

I'm with you on the Sucker Punch love, Zensteve! A far more complex film that it gets credit for (though could have stood another pass on the script)

As for Affleck, he can't be worse than Clooney. Or West for that matter, though he had Julie Newmar to balance things out. I'm annoyed that they aren't continuing the story, and I really don't care about supes, so that'll be a wait-for-dvd for me. And could be worse: Matt Damon fills me with the desire to punch him in the face, which would be weird for batman.

And for now, I'll pretend the film is entirely Harley Quinn-centric, and that will make me happy for a while :D

I thought that the visuals of Sucker Punch were breathtaking. The cinematography is amazing.

The visuals made up for the lack of interesting characters, good acting, and smart writing.

I won't hijack this thread (as I have many in the past), but I will say it's smarter than you think it is. And once the movie falls into place, the characters and the acting make a lot more sense. Think of it in the same way as Brazil, and you'll be headed in the right direction (again, not a perfect movie, could have used a bit more revision but the extended version does add complexity over the move obvious flaws).

On the other hand, NickClapper hate the film with a deep and abiding passion, so there's always room for opinion, of course!

What a disgrace, this is only because he got awards with Argo, he's not a batman he's a daredevil, I can't even take him serious, he's like a huge sponge, but as with anything il reserve judgement until I watch his performance, but seriously there were much better darker actors who would have fit the bill... DISGUSTED :(

What a disgrace... DISGUSTED :(
Somebody’s not happy about this….

As I said above I’m optimistic. Ben’s a good actor; there’s certainly lots of worse actors out there that could’ve been given the role. Ben’s certainly a good enough actor to pull of the duality of Bruce Wayne/Batman; both the light and the dark. He’ll be cool.

I'm annoyed that they aren't continuing the story...

How do you know they’re not? Has it actually been announced that this will not follow the “Dark Knight” films? Or exist in the same universe?

It shouldn’t, of course; aliens don’t exist in Nolan’s Batman universe. But it seems a little too early to be rebooting the character. But, that said, I believe this is acting as a sequel to “Man of Steel”, so presumably the film will be set in Metropolis. Batman could just show up, to help Superman defeat Lex Luthor, or something…..?

Nah, that’d be lazy. I don’t see how this is going to work, but I’m excited to find out!

I just can't get myself to care about this at all. There's absolutely no room in Man of Steel's world for Batman - he'd just be standing on the sidelines with all us other humans waiting to find out if we'd get crushed by the aliens or not.

I'm out.. and I blame Matt Damon. If Damon had not been friends with this hack we would never have heard of him and he would probably be working at a Quickie Mart somewhere.

I'm out.. and I blame Matt Damon. If Damon had not been friends with this hack we would never have heard of him and he would probably be working at a Quickie Mart somewhere.

Bullshit. Ben Affleck is absolutely talented director and he is not that bad as an actor as well .

This'll be worse than george clooney, val kilmer, adam west all put together! A super-actor named AdVal-George Kilwest wouldn't be nearly as bad as Ben Affleck... and I'm not even a big Batman fan.

I just can't get myself to care about this at all. There's absolutely no room in Man of Steel's world for Batman - he'd just be standing on the sidelines with all us other humans waiting to find out if we'd get crushed by the aliens or not.

Well the movie seems to be slated as a Batman versus Superman type thing...

Which is silly, in reality Superman would pulverise Batman, as Superman has actual super powers, rather than just a buncha technology and money.

I'm surprised they would come out with this, rather than a Justice League film. A Justice League film is probably something I'd watch, a la The Avengers. Batman vs Superman is a weird concept that I'm not a fan of (but I'll still watch the movie ;)).

I'm intrigued as to how they're possibly going to reboot Batman in the same movie. Superman's already had his reboot before this film, if Batman is to be rebooted as well, we need to stuff that and everything that happens with Superman in the one movie (hopefully without a bunch of exposition)

Certainly an intriguing concept - maybe this is a 'lead up' film to JLA. Surely there's gotta be a Wonder Woman movie in the works..? I also feel an Aquaman movie would be cool...

I'm not impressed, but I'll wait and see.

But I don't understand why they didn't ask Christian Bale - why keep switching actors? Did Bale bail out?

I'm not impressed, but I'll wait and see.

But I don't understand why they didn't ask Christian Bale - why keep switching actors? Did Bale bail out?

apparently they offered him $50,000,000 he said no, he played his part and that was it.

I agree sometimes it can go on too long, sometimes you just have to end it while its good.

with the joke addition of affleck it seems batmans role is now nothing more than a cash cow.

but then again he could prove us all wrong and has grown past his days as daredevil.

but something inside me very much doubts that and he will try to overact the part.

such a sad day when you think of all the other potential actors there could have been.

I just hope its the old batman that they portray the cartoon version in some capacity now that would be cool.

I got nothing against Affleck. His acting is completely fine, and I like him as a director better.

But why Batman? I just don't think he's right for the role. He's got the superhero square jaw but I don't think he will, or can play Bruce Wayne, how he should be played. Plus anyone can pic Affleck for Batman. Maybe Warner Bros. is just worn out on Batman and being lazy this time around and picked an actor anyone would have thought of. Or maybe no one more fitting literally came to the audition, but you think their would be someone more fitting in a big audition like that. He would have to act completely different and not at all, AT ALL like any role has be played before. He would even have to change his voice and his facial mannerisms completely for me to fully accept him in the role.

Last edited:
Back