Amazing Spiderman 2

I just saw it, and I'm not impressed.

The character development - or lack thereof - meant that, when Gwen died, I could care less. And there were too many themes going on, with two main villains and their story lines.

I thought it was quite good.

There is some difficulty with having double or mulitple bad guys. Filmmakers sort of diminish the overall impact by doing that.

Then there's what Blake Snyder called Double Mumbo Jumbo.

But I think super hero movies need to get a pass on both. That's what super hero comics have been all about for decades: lots and lots of mumbo jumbo! And very often lots of super villains. It's in the genre's DNA. Asking a super hero story to be otherwise is probably asking it to be something it is not.

Although, yeah, that doesn't have to mean multiple bad guys in one film, I suppose. But then so much for a film like The Avengers, which was awesome pie. But then that film did keep the focus pretty much on Loki.

Anyway, I thought it was pretty good. Even very good. Well made. Of course it doesn't hurt that I'm in love with Emma Stone. :P

So thumbs up for me.

What a coinkidink -- Richy and I agree on a movie. That's never happened before. ;)

I don't think Amazing Spidey 2 comes even close to ranking with the best of the best Superhero movies, but I definitely like it. I really like what they did with the camera (er, virtual camera), and I thought the music was a major boon.

My main criticisms are that I think many of the character motivations were dumbed-down to a level that would be simplistic even for small children, and much of the drama was a little too melodramatic.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed it!

I saw this film last night at the movie theaters and it was a very good experience. It's not usually my kind of movie so I won't discuss my opinion on elements of the genre that I like/dislike and just look at the movie for what it is.

First of all, the movie is pretty long but it didn't even feel long at all to me so that's a very good thing. I liked the film's balance of action and drama, it never felt like it had too much or too little of either. I also very much enjoyed some of the humor in the film (although some of it was obviously aimed at children). Most of all I liked the chemistry and drama between Peter Parker and Gwen Stacy. CrackerFunk mentioned that the film was melodramatic at times, but I happen to be a fan of melodrama when its done right, and I think in this case it was mostly handled well.

I liked the action for the most part and although I don't usually like the style in these films, I liked this one scene where everything froze and we got to see many visual details before the action went on. I would've liked that to happen at least one more time in the film.

I didn't like the villain. His motivations were very simplistic and his character before he turns into a super villain is a strange caricature. I liked how he was initially a good-natured person but he's just such a flat character that he ends up not being very interesting. I also didn't like the portrayal of Harry, I just found him to be very unintentionally funny.

The film is also not very focused with sub-plots like Peter's parents story and Harry trying to survive that detract from the film. These sub-plots were not even very clear to me.

Some of my biggest problems are in the ending because
I hate how they just introduce another villain (Rhino) and how they choose to end on that as opposed to the greater emotional note of Gwen Stacy's death or even her speech

A smaller comment I must make is that I very much appreciate the movie poster for Antonioni's Blow-Up (one of my favorite films) and the David Bowie album cover of Low in Peter's room. Sure that doesn't have much to do with the movie but I love those two things very much lol.

Overall I think it's a good film but not a very great one. It's very enjoyable but it has some major flaws.

Some of my biggest problems are in the ending because
I hate how they just introduce another villain (Rhino) and how they choose to end on that as opposed to the greater emotional note of Gwen Stacy's death or even her speech

I actually really liked the ending. I think it's perfect, because it's all about the character arc of Peter Parker. The final scene is not about the villain, but
in how Peter finally completely embraces his identity as a hero. Gwen's death and speech are the impetus, but the final scene solidifies his place in this world.

While that is true, I think they could've shown that in another way
without having to introduce another major villain. I honestly would've preferred him to start doing the ordinary saving the day kind of things that happened in the beginning of the film. Introducing a major villain just felt unnecessary, although it may build hype for the next film.
I do see where you are coming from though.

Although on a completely different take from even my own opinion. Wouldn't it have been interesting to see
Peter dealing with these feelings in the next film? It may have added some more emotional depth.

While that is true, I think they could've shown that in another way
without having to introduce another major villain. I honestly would've preferred him to start doing the ordinary saving the day kind of things that happened in the beginning of the film. Introducing a major villain just felt unnecessary, although it may build hype for the next film.
I do see where you are coming from though.

Although on a completely different take from even my own opinion. Wouldn't it have been interesting to see
Peter dealing with these feelings in the next film? It may have added some more emotional depth.

Honestly I think the last scene was done nicely considering
the next amazing spider man film will include the sinster six and possible black cat, or Mary Jane seeing as how Peter could possible have another love interest it would be quite a challenge to include six or more major villans and the transition of Peter getting over Gwen and moving on to a new love interest. Even then it would be a sour taste to leave in the viewers mouthes to end it with Gwens death and spider man quiting, but it could have also set up for a come back feel in the next film. I guess either way has it benifits or flaws.
Its all just setting for the next movies. I really enjoyed personally I think Amazing Spider Man is better the its predecessor Spiderman. But Im just excited that Vemon could get his own film in the future:D

Last edited:
Honestly I think the last scene was done nicely considering
the next amazing spider man film will include the sinster six and possible black cat, or Mary Jane seeing as how Peter could possible have another love interest it would be quite a challenge to include six or more major villans and the transition of Peter getting over Gwen and moving on to a new love interest. Even then it would be a sour taste to leave in the viewers mouthes to end it with Gwens death and spider man quiting, but it could have also set up for a come back feel in the next film. I guess either way has it benifits or flaws.
Its all just setting for the next movies. I really enjoyed personally I think Amazing Spider Man is better the its predecessor Spiderman. But Im just excited that Vemon could get his own film in the future:D

Thanks for the insights!
Actually it's important to consider this film as part of a series because it does have a larger story to tell. I do think it may have served the whole series well but I don't like it as a conclusion to the film (if viewed solely as a standalone film). I didn't see the first film in the series, though I will consider watching it since I did enjoy this film, so I did evaluate it kind of as an individual film.

I just don't feel like getting over such a meaningful relationship is that easy, I'm the same age as Peter is in this film (graduating this year even) and my own relationships seem to have much more difficult emotional consequences even though they don't end in death of a loved one!

I loved the original Spider-Man series as a kid and I tend to assume that those films are better but it may be pure nostalgia. I'm not a big fan of blockbusters or comic book films, but I will try to re-watch those films and catch up on this new series in order to evaluate them properly.

Good job at noticing that!
When I heard that name in the film it felt familiar but I didn't remember where I heard it from or who it was.

There was a mention for Alister Smythe and a hint at Doc Oc, The Vulture, Mysterio, and The Gentleman.

This one is a "watch on Netflix... maybe", for me.

Saw the first Amazing Spiderman reboot at the cinema. Was dreadfully disappointed. Saw the trailers for this one, which promised more of the same. I've found the Marvel movies to be "all or nothing" events, as far as my prefs go.

I don't understand why you ppl don't like multiple villains. You know, movies with multiple villains can make the story development much more unpredictable and attracting, rather than One on One struggle between protagonist and antagonist.

Now, there are two things I didn't like in the story itself.

Electro-Man
What I didn't like about that Electro-Man, is that he got no redemption, no compassion. Seriously, what drove him to what he has become? It's not greed, not ambitiousness... It's mostly the fault of the people that surround him. The man was broken, taken advantage of. So, it's ok that he got mad, but I think there should have been a moment at the end, where he could regret, or try to fix what he has done. Just like with that Lizardman in the first Amazing Spiderman.

Goblin
Spiderman refused to give him his blood to save him. But why? Goblin was dying a slow, horrible death. Spiderman was like, - "I'm afraid it's gonna kill you"... Well, a quick death is always better than slow death! But at least there was a chance that Harry could be saved. I mean, if you had a cancer, and you were told of a surgery that can either save you or kill you, wouldn't you take the chance?

About the ending scene.... That! Was! Awesome!

What the kid actually meant to show, is that he has faith in Spiderman, like religious people have faith in God. So he came up there, as if saying, - "Spiderman, I give you the choice to decide my fate". I'm not religious, but I find such moments of dedication are GREAT.

And that also has another side of the coin - when Spiderman is now their God, he cannot abandon them, cannot live an ordinary life. This dilemma somehow reminds of The Dark Knight, where Batman had to do something that will discredit him, so that he could "disappear".

P.S. So, as for me, most of Marvel movies are much more than just money harvesters. They know how to make good things, even if they have some flaws.

Last edited:
I don't understand why you ppl don't like multiple villains. You know, movies with multiple villains can make the story development much more unpredictable and attracting, rather than One on One struggle between protagonist and antagonist.

Now, there are two things I didn't like in the story itself.

Electro-Man
What I didn't like about that Electro-Man, is that he got no redemption, no compassion. Seriously, what drove him to what he has become? It's not greed, not ambitiousness... It's mostly the fault of the people that surround him. The man was broken, taken advantage of. So, it's ok that he got mad, but I think there should have been a moment at the end, where he could regret, or try to fix what he has done. Just like with that Lizardman in the first Amazing Spiderman.

Goblin
Spiderman refused to give him his blood to save him. But why? Goblin was dying a slow, horrible death. Spiderman was like, - "I'm afraid it's gonna kill you"... Well, a quick death is always better than slow death! But at least there was a chance that Harry could be saved. I mean, if you had a cancer, and you were told of a surgery that can either save you or kill you, wouldn't you take the chance?

About the ending scene.... That! Was! Awesome!

What the kid actually meant to show, is that he has faith in Spiderman, like religious people have faith in God. So he came up there, as if saying, - "Spiderman, I give you the choice to decide my fate". I'm not religious, but I find such moments of dedication are GREAT.

And that also has another side of the coin - when Spiderman is now their God, he cannot abandon them, cannot live an ordinary life. This dilemma somehow reminds of The Dark Knight, where Batman had to do something that will discredit him, so that he could "disappear".

P.S. So, as for me, most of Marvel movies are much more than just money harvesters. They know how to make good things, even if they have some flaws.

Great write-up, I especially agree with your opinions on Electro-Man. Sometimes part of my heart went more to him than to Spidey.

I think Peter and Gwen both expressed sympathy for Electro. But, he was trying to kill people...on a mass scale. So, it came down to doing what had to be done: neutralize him.

The idea in these films (and the first films) has been that, other than Spidey, these serums or bites cause people to go mad. Actually, this latest film provided a rational why: Peter's father used his own DNA as a sort of security measure or fire wall. The spider bite didn't turn Peter into a monster because he had the right DNA, being Richard Parker's son.

Likewise, Peter didn't give Harry his blood because he feared it would turn Harry into a psycho killer --which it did (like the eel bites, or zaps, did to Max previously).

Another thought that's been on my mind is Peter being a "dude" in this reboot. I thought Peter Parker was supposed to be a nerd, not a dude. But in the Amazing Spider-Man, especially in Number 2, he's been more of a dude. I don't really care. I guess I like Peter being a dude okay. And I like Andrew plenty. On the other hand, it's not really canon, is it? Any thoughts on that?

Back