Amateur - what to film?

Maybe I'm not thinking about it hard enough, or maybe thinking about it too hard, but I am an amateur filmmaker who does not have a real story to film, but I really really want to get my hands on this. Has this happened to anyone at one point? What should I do?

Thanks in advance.

There are stories everywhere...pick up a newspaper (or click on a virtual one) and you're bound to find something of interest you could turn into a cinematic story. If you're looking to just dive in and start somewhere, pick the simplest elements of any story and figure out how to tell them visually. If you find a story about a drug deal gone wrong, pick one element of the deal (the drop off to undercover cops, for instance) and tell that part of it.

Or look within your own history...everyone has had things happen to them or made things happen, good or bad...did you ever win the spelling bee or were you ever mugged? Lives are stories...

The longer your project the more elements you will need. But the world is full of stories. Get a piece of paper and a pen and spend the next day listing ten stories. Choose the best one and get it in the can.

Well, sounds like you need to decide what exactly it is that you want to do.

If you don't/can't write, it's easy enough to get someone else's short story made. There are a lot of frustrated writers out there, willing to give away a short story 'cos they lack the skill/talent to make it - they just want to see it made.

Or if production ain't your thing either, offer yourself as a camera operator to some local film-newbies. There are a tonne of them, too - writers, actors & directors who need someone with a camera to do that part.

There's no reason you should have to handle every aspect of a film project. It's a collaboration; even if the project is entirely "yours", you're still relying/trusting on other skilled people to make it happen.

Be a part of someone else's project. :)

I agree with Steve. There's no shame in not being able to write your own material. Not many big budget films are written by the director.

What is important is what you look for in the material that you shoot; interesting characters, human interaction, emotions, an interesting plot/story, etc.

And don't worry, you're first projects will be terrible. Even if it was a respectable effort when you made it, after a few years you'll watch it again and wince a lot; after a few more you'll watch it and cringe.

Preproduce, preproduce, preproduce!!!

Capture quality sound!

KISS! (Keep It Simple, Stupid!)

Don't get frustrated - learn!

1) Don't think that narrative films are the only way to go. There's narratives, commercials, documentaries, sports videos, music videos, etc. You can flex your directing muscles just as much going into the local music scene and offering to shoot some free music videos for people. Trust me, you'll have takers, and it'll give you an opportunity to learn a lot without getting muddled by a script and traditional filmmaking conventions.

2) If you do decide to shoot narrative, keep it under 5 minutes for your first one. Don't go about shooting a 20 minute epic (or God forbid, a feature) right off the bat. Not only does 5 minutes let you spend more time on each aspect without stretching yourself thin, but there's a much bigger market for 5 minute films over 20 minute ones

3) STORY IS EVERYTHING. It doesn't matter how many shots it has in it or how high of a resolution you shoot it in if it doesn't have a good story. You could easily shoot a movie on your camera phone that can win festivals. One of the last festivals I was at, the film that won its category (up against some GOOD QUALITY films) was a woman who just shot her dog with a camera phone for a day and put voices behind it. But I watched the thing, it was freaking HILARIOUS and had us all rolling in our seats with laughter.

4) JUST MAKE MOVIES. It's all practice. It took me 50 (yes, FIFTY!) tries before I was REALLY happy with a movie that I made. You learn so much every time, about every aspect of production. I learned more on my first film set than in all four years of class in film school. Reading will only get you so far. Gotta learn how to speak to an audience.

I don't use it so I can't endorse it or tell you exactly what the SOP is there, but you might want to check out www.simplyscripts.com for a starting point.

Anyway, I'm interested to hear what you come up with to get yourself out of this rut!

3) STORY IS EVERYTHING. It doesn't matter how many shots it has in it or how high of a resolution you shoot it in if it doesn't have a good story. You could easily shoot a movie on your camera phone that can win festivals. One of the last festivals I was at, the film that won its category (up against some GOOD QUALITY films) was a woman who just shot her dog with a camera phone for a day and put voices behind it. But I watched the thing, it was freaking HILARIOUS and had us all rolling in our seats with laughter.

Great points...and the quoted point above is true for the most part, but I’m not sure I would go as far as saying a camera phone is all you need. I’m all about multi-media, and experimenting with different formats…but I am not a fan of people that shoot poor quality movies and try and gloss over the experience with silly humor or outrageous gags.

Filmmaking is about telling a story…yes. But the evolution of filmmaking has become more than just story telling—it has brought together artists of all kinds for a common goal. Not only is it about a well told story, it’s also about painting with light, and creating mood with music and sound design…the entire ensemble of talent together is working on a single, new form of art. That is why I’m not a fan of individuals who use filmmaking as a transport for their silly gags and ideas, and hope to compete with films that use skill and precision to paint the story. I’m not judging them for using their surroundings and creating something they feel compelled to…I’m just not a fan of the finished products, that’s all.

I can’t tell you how annoyed I am that incredibly poor quality films enter into competitions (like the 48hrs Fests), stick a bunch of sock puppets in a room with no light or sound design…have a bunch silly gags or low brow humor, and end up stealing awards from beautifully shot films. It’s like…just because you make someone laugh, it immediately becomes entitled to awards. I’m sorry…but this bugs me.

Movies shouldn't have to rivet the audience at every turn...there should be more emphasis on exquisite camera work, or skillful lighting, or quality acting. I’m just tired of films that cater to the lowest common denominator, and win awards because they made Joe Shchmo laugh. I'm all about making people laugh...but I don't think these videos should be compared to, or be competing with films that consider it an art form. Good film making isn’t simply about making people laugh…you want to just make people laugh? Become a stand-up.

Anyway. This is my gripe for the day. :)

Last edited:
Film makers who start out have often very high demands on their story, without seeing how skillful those writers are who are on top of the game.

One question that might find you a solution to your problem would be to ask yourself if your demands on your end product is too high compered to your present skills.

This is an art form that the whole world is in love with. Meaning; the best are very good.

I’m just tired of films that cater to the lowest common denominator, and win awards because they made Joe Shchmo laugh.

I could not agree with you more there.

I wasn't trying to say, "hey, make a crappy movie, but if it's funny it'll work". Kinda the converse, which is "If you go out and spend $10,000 on a camera, it's not going to make a good movie."

I'm an amateur myself and what i do is just film whenever i get bored and than work out the storyline as i move along.

I usually film so much that there is wiggle room to change and tweak the story to make it more interesting.

It'll likely take much longer to make a compete movie than if you planned it out in the first place but you do increase your chances of making something totally original.

Learn to write or find somebody who know how to write a screenplay. Or.... Just have fun with a camera an show your images to your family, who will tell you: "WOOW, you are a genius". But you are not.

Seriously, if you have nothing to tell... why not doing photography instead.

Interesting... I'm usually the opposite. I never have a shortage of ideas to film, just a shortage of time to actually film half of it. Seriously, it should not be hard to make up a story. Just look around you for clues and ideas... comedy is usually the easiest.

I don't know how to answer this, you know a lot of people say they want to be an inventor, but don't know what to invent. Then there are those that come up with inventions and just keep at it until they create the next big thing.

I didn't read through the other replies, but if you really just want to make a video, go out and film whatever interesting things you see around where you live. There doesn't necessarily have to be a story yet, its just pretty moving pictures. Then when you finally have a story to film, you'll know where to start.

scrap the film idea and shoot some video. Shoot lots of it. It doesn't have to make sense. Just have fun. Whan I was a kid, I made endless stop-motion comedy shorts. These motivated me and inspired me and I have no doubt they are a big part of why I went on to have the career I did. lack of ideas were not somthing I remember ever having. It was lack of resources that make some artists feel limited. The few who look beyond limitations are the ones who truely have no limitations.

Back