Am I The Only One Who Doesn't Like "Avatar"?

DISCLAIMER: Yep, this is just a fun, but hard debate.... No personal attack is intended.

CrackerFunk,

1. If it was just your opinion based on reading everyone would be fine with it. But you're laying down the law as an absolute fact based on (ZOMG) a full 4 years of study and a few back issues of Scientific American. The first (opinion) is absolutely fine, the second (absolute fact) is intellectual senility. All most of us are trying to do is get you to concede you are stating opinions, not facts.

2. What we've got here is a rant about the consensus of mainstream modern science, backed with monumental levels of academic conceit. A guy who can speak for the entirety of creation based on a four year degree. Your opinions are just as worthy as anyone elses, your false confidence (in this debate) is eye popping.

3 Consider the greater context of history. How many once popular theories have now crumbled to dust?

4. What you've got is deductive arguments based on consensus, nothing more. But you back it up with a whole lot of chest beating, and finger wagging. You'd easily be able to face a lot of people down in a RL situation, plenty of people pull these tricks hundreds of times, but on the internet it's easy to keep a cool head and see what's going on.

5. In order to make black and white statements you need TOPOLOGICAL DATA FROM PROBES ON THOUSANDS IF NOT MILLIONS OF PLANETS. We don't have that. You need raw data and you have nothing.

6. We need to clarify the difference between a deductive argument and a fact so we're all on the same page. CFunk, do you think your statements are deductive arguments or facts?

Last edited:
http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=324134

List of Improper Debating Tactics, AVOID THESE.

- Argument from Authority. This is the fallacy that states: If an authority says something, it is obviously true, and it does not need to be evaluated on it's merits. e.g. (Re-elect nixon because he has a secret plan to end the war in SE Asia.) Since there is no way to evaluate this plan, there is no way to debate this. Additionally, "because Einstein said it, and he's an expert, it must be true."

** CF, most of your arguments are variants on the above...

6. We need to clarify the difference between a deductive argument and a fact so we're all on the same page. CFunk, do you think your statements are deductive arguments or facts?

All we're trying to do here is get you to admit your stating opinions based on your research not absolute facts based on data. The truth is you have NO data about life on other planets, but continue to act as if you do backed by a lot of low grade debating tactics.

Well, it's a good thing science doesn't work by democracy. Cuz you guys have no idea what you're talking about.

Chest beating, not data on life forms on other planets.

We're all coming dangerously close to the perfect definition of insanity -- using the same methods, over and over, hoping for different results. I'm gonna give this at least one last go, and maybe I can phrase things differently, in a way that might catch one or two of your's attention.

Condescending, not data, facts or any hard science.

Will it make you guys feel better if I admit that I used to feel the same way as you? You think I've got a closed mind on this subject. No, I once shared the EXACT same reasoning as you. Then, I got an education. I feel it is actually you guys who are being closed-minded to me. For just this post, open your thoughts, and consider the following.

Chest beating, condescending.

I'm not overlooking your points at all. In fact, I've addressed them directly. Your main point is "sheer volume". It's really not that difficult to think about a really, really, really big number. What you don't realize is that I'm also talking about a really, really, really big number. And dude, I have a very strong grasp on the basics of odds and probability.

If you flip a coin ten times, and it lands on heads ten times in a row, the odds are really good that it will come up tails on the next toss, right? I mean, what's the probability that you would toss eleven heads in a row? Very low. So, it's extremely likely that the next toss will be tails.

Of course you and I know that this is false logic. The coin has no memory. Every time you toss it, the probability of landing heads is 1/2. You could land 5,000,000,000,000,000 heads in a row. The probability of landing heads again will still be 1/2.

Deductive argument. No data, no facts.

Our physical universe - the one we live in - is definitely finite. There's no disagreement on this, in the scientific community. It's possible, perhaps, that there might be other universes beyond our universe, maybe even existing in another dimension or plane. I'm assuming you and I are both aware of the multi-verse theory, and for all we know, the number of existing universes could be infinite. But that has nothing to do with our conversation. We are talking about OUR universe, and it is absolutely finite.

Time, looking to the future, might very well be infinite. It might also be infinite, looking to the past (though, to be frank, I can't really wrap my brain around how it could be either finite OR infinite, looking to the past; weirds me out). The time that has passed since the Big Bang, however, is finite. 5,000,000,000,000,000 years from now, the amount of time that will have passed since the Big Bang will still be finite.

When we talk about genetic mutations, the possibilities are infinite. 5,000,000,000,000,000 genetic mutations from now, the possibilities will still be infinite. When you flip a coin, the probability of a desired result is 1-in-2. When you toss a regular six-sided die, it's 1-in-6. A regular deck of cards, 1-in-52.

How you calculate the probability of 1-in-infinity?

No data, no facts, no topological data on other planets. Intellectual muscle flexing, nothing more. NO FACTS.

You see, M1chae1, my main point is DIRECTLY addressing your main point. "Random" doesn't have shades of grey. Something is either random, or it is not. When it is random, the possibilities are infinite. Infinity is a really, really, really big number. That's why I don't care how many galaxies exist. That really, really, really big number of galaxies is nothing, in comparison to infinity.

What you're doing, with your logic, is assuming that if you toss the dice of genetic mutation enough times, eventually, you'll land on those traits that are familiar to us. That is the same false logic I mentioned earlier. No matter how many times you toss those genetic-mutation-dice, with each new genetic mutation, the probability of landing a particular gene is 1-in-infinity.

The matter is further complicated by the fact of how many individual genes are needed to make up a genetic trait (the difference between a "trait" and a "gene" are important to this discussion -- wikipedia it if you don't already know). You're asking for a whole lot of coincidences.

Mathematical rant based on modern scientific reasoning. No facts, no data. Nothing at all.

You've assumed too much. My education in Anthropology (in regards to our conversation) only taught me how to REALLY understand the process of evolution, in a way that most people JUST. DON'T. GET. I'm not familiar with any school of Anthropology that would discuss possible life on other planets. I've reached these conclusions on my own, and they're quite easy conclusions to reach. If you TRULY understand the process of evolution, the idea of a humanoid on another planet is absurd.

Chest beating. Brow beating. Ridicule. You need topological data from probes on hundreds of millions of planets in order to back up your assertion. You don't provide this.

I will concede nothing of the sort. Fish and sea cucumbers are complex life forms. Nothing exists like them on any other planet, anywhere in the universe.

Is this an opinion? Or do you have data from probes to back this up?

I don't need to think about the cosmos to understand that the biological conditions we have on Earth cannot be repeated. And I say that in absolute certainty.

Nice, could you please forward your first 1,000,000 probe results for the first million planets? Or admit this is an opinion.

The laws of physics are the same everywhere. The process of evolution would be the same everywhere (that's IF DNA even exists anywhere else).

O RLY? Is this an opinion or do you have an extra-terrestrial physics book, full knowledge of other dimensions and multi-frequency readings of the electo-magnetic spectrum in say, 100 of the closest galaxies?

EXACTLY! That's called science. And I'm trying my best to explain to you guys a scientific concept that you don't quite understand.

Chest beating + condescending/finger wagging.

Same thing goes for global warming. The evidence is undeniable and insurmountable. Human activity has DEFINITELY caused a major change in climate. Again, the scientific community is basically unanimous in this view.

Hahahah total nonsense, Google it. Plenty of Phd's and respected scientists against it.

The real experts (notice the lack of quotations) are in full-agreement on the subject of global warming. There is no real dissent on this issue, in the scientific community.

Rubbish. There is plenty of disagreement and Gore's position loses traction by the day. If you're as ill informed on the global warming debate as you are on exo-biology then Lord help us all.

"Expert" is not really a subjective term if you believe in the scientific process.

Chest beating, condescending. Expert is a VERY subjective term. 100 years ago medical experts were prescribing leeches. Flat Earth 500 years ago.

That's all for now. All opinions presented in the spirit of geek fun.

Last edited:
PF, you rock man. I would have done the same had I had the patience. But I have a limit to how long I can debate with individuals who 'know it all.'

Cracker doesn't even have a Phd, yet he argues like he's an extra-terrestrial expert (meaning an expert from another world) with full knowledge of the cosmos.

He also hurts my feelings, and insults NOVA. :(

Cheers.

Last edited:
I like CF's posts on other threads. So it's no big deal.

I'm done here too. I don't think any of my photon logic torpedos will have got anywhere near the exhaust port, probably just impacted on the surface.

PF, you rock man. I would have done the same had I had the patience. But I have a limit to how long I can debate with individuals who 'know it all.'

Cracker doesn't even have a Phd, yet he argues like he's an extra-terrestrial expert (meaning an expert from another world) with full knowledge of the cosmos.

Cheers.

This thread should now move on the topic on how fudge is made and how could it possibly be connected to Avatar.

When I said that our universe is finite, I was referring to size, and volume of galaxies and planets. I think this fact is quite obvious, when my comments are read in context.

That has absolutely no bearing on the fact that EVERY genetic mutation is unique. Random. The possibilities are limitless. Why can't you guys understand this simple concept?
Because "the universe is finite" and "genetic mutations are infinite" are contradictory statements?

Wow. Really? I was being facetious. There's no such thing as 1-in-infinity. Infinity is not a number.
... um, the whole point is that your facetiousness was unnecessary, given that your underlying point was founded on shaky premises.

And why are you mentioning the Drake equation? I'm not saying life doesn't exist elswhere. I'm saying that IF it does, it doesn't look anything like us.
Because it's relatively easy to argue that if the Drake equation is 'valid' then the same can be true of humanoid aliens?

ran·dom (rndm)
adj.
1. Having no specific pattern, purpose, or objective
Fail to see how that translates into "infinity".

Oh, and how is your logic superior? You're completely ignoring the data that we have, limited though it may be. And then, you extrapolate your non-knowledge to unknown conditions. What do you call that?
Well, I'd call your position a strawman, seeing as that's not what I'm doing at all. Mostly I'm suggesting we don't have enough information to decide one way or the other, because there's way too much we don't know yet. Obviously, it very well could be that there are no humanoid aliens at all, just as there could no other life (intelligent or otherwise) in the universe.

You don't know the definition of the word "hominid". I don't point this out to be a dick. I point it out to highlight the fact that it is YOU who does not have enough information to conclude anything about extraterrestrial life. Seriously, why do you guys just ignore the fact that I FUCKING HAVE A DEGREE IN ANTHROPOLOGY?!
Because finding a common definition for "humanoid" (which is what started the conversation, and what I attempted to delineate, not hominid) totally isn't relevant to the conversation. So, yet another cute strawman.

PS - It's because you're being kind of a douche, and think your education gives you some kind of leverage, instead of simply equipping you with information. Stop it.

A new biosphere could very well open up all sorts of new ideas about evolution. But that would only be true if evolution on that planet is guided by something other than DNA, and in that case, those life-forms would REALLY not resemble anything like us. DNA is DNA. If it exists on another planet, it will behave in exactly the same way it does here, and that means that all the principles of evolution I'm trying to convey will be just as valid.
I would like to see evidence that proves alien lifeforms can't be like us if they have a different data system than DNA.

Yeah. I was clearly talking about evolution. So your feelings on "sapience" are irrellevant. This whole damn talk is about evolution. richy was clearly talking about evolution when he proposed that there is some sort of "success" associated with primates. Ironically, the only straw-man argument being presented is the one you just made.
Actually, it's pretty obvious he's talking about macro, 'real world' success, as opposed to genetic success.

And are you implying that our sapience didn't come from evolution?

Hahahah total nonsense, Google it. Plenty of Phd's and respected scientists against it.

Rubbish. There is plenty of disagreement and Gore's position loses traction by the day. If you're as ill informed on the global warming debate as you are on exo-biology then Lord help us all.
spaceghost.jpg

There really isn't much dissent, actually, and I'm pretty sure it's overwhelmingly likely humans are affecting the Earth's environment for us negatively. Course, this is a different debate in a different thread on a different forum, so meh.

Last edited:
WHOOOOO-BOY! Do I know how to push people's buttons, or what? Guys, guys, guys, I'm not trying to hurt your feelings. I just happen to have an opinion (yes, it is of course opinion) that is in stark contrast to yours. And, I feel like I have very good reason to keep that opinion. How is that any different from what you are doing?

I have an opinion.

You have an opinion.

No matter how many arguments you make, I still feel very strongly about my opinion.

No matter how many arguments I make, you still feel very strongly about your opinions.

And yet, you talk about me like I'm just a stubborn know-it-all. How is my stance any different from yours? And when was it decided that we're not allowed to have a strong opinion on a subject?

The only way we can make any statement about the appearance type of life on other planets is by going there with probes and collecting visual data. All else is speculation and nothing more than modern scientific consensus.

Oh, ok. I think I will make a sci-fi that takes place on an alien planet. And on this planet is a species of pizza-people. And these pizza-people poop ice cream. And when they fart, they fart perfectly to the tune of the theme song to "Love Boat". The pizza-people are farmers, and their main crop is boxes of Cheerios. They also harvest HDTV's, but those are much more difficult to grow.

Now, would you think I've created a realistic world? Or would you say, with fairly strong certainty, that no such planet could exist? Of course, you would scoff at the entire idea. You would say, in absolute certainty, that the idea of Planet Pizza is absurd and ridiculous.

But how do you know? You haven't been to every single planet. So you can't tell me that Planet Pizza doesn't exist.

Well, in my opinion , the idea of Na'vi on Pandora is pretty damn absurd. And no, I don't need to travel to every planet to have that opinion.

Incredible. Just incredible.

Clearly modern science and four years of education has reached a point where a total understanding of life, creation, evolution and mutation has occurred. It's pretty clear that not only have today's scientists 'figured it all out', but unless you have a four-year degree, there's no point in trying to understand or debate the topic. I'm just normal I guess. Thank God for that.

I'm just so happy that we can without-a-shadow-of-a-doubt lay claim to what life will *not* be like on other planets--because our studies on Earth, and our mental capacities are so vast, we might as well put this information in a time capsule and be done with it.

And shit...to think all those NOVA documentaries I've watched are total malarkey...I guess I'll stop watching them. To think I was learning something.

Cheers.

Haha. That's the best argument you've made in this entire debate. Cheers.

Oh, and NOVA is cool. I incorrectly assumed that you were referring to the Discovery network, the Nature Channel, the History Channel, etc., and they are totally bunk. But NOVA is a different beast. My mistake.

WHOOOOO-BOY! Do I know how to push people's buttons, or what? Guys, guys, guys, I'm not trying to hurt your feelings. I just happen to have an opinion (yes, it is of course opinion) that is in stark contrast to yours. And, I feel like I have very good reason to keep that opinion. How is that any different from what you are doing?

I have an opinion.

You have an opinion.

No matter how many arguments you make, I still feel very strongly about my opinion.

No matter how many arguments I make, you still feel very strongly about your opinions.

And yet, you talk about me like I'm just a stubborn know-it-all. How is my stance any different from yours? And when was it decided that we're not allowed to have a strong opinion on a subject?

Oh, ok. I think I will make a sci-fi that takes place on an alien planet. And on this planet is a species of pizza-people. And these pizza-people poop ice cream. And when they fart, they fart perfectly to the tune of the theme song to "Love Boat". The pizza-people are farmers, and their main crop is boxes of Cheerios. They also harvest HDTV's, but those are much more difficult to grow.

Now, would you think I've created a realistic world? Or would you say, with fairly strong certainty, that no such planet could exist? Of course, you would scoff at the entire idea. You would say, in absolute certainty, that the idea of Planet Pizza is absurd and ridiculous.

But how do you know? You haven't been to every single planet. So you can't tell me that Planet Pizza doesn't exist.

Well, in my opinion , the idea of Na'vi on Pandora is pretty damn absurd. And no, I don't need to travel to every planet to have that opinion.

I'm just happy things are starting to calm down now. But I think known of us will know it isn't possibly until it happens. It is impossible to prove that something can't happen. But when we finally do find life our opinions will be worth nothing. Because at that point in time it's fact.

Now in my opinion I think it's highly possible, but we have no idea how it would take place. It could very well be a pizza planet, I mean the universe is practically infinite, which leaves an infinite variety of practical forms these ET's could take.

Did I say something wrong Wombat? That grumpy seems to say so. I'm basically agreeing with you, the pizza planet is very unlikely but it's possible with all the massive ammounts of form it may take place.

...on this planet is a species of pizza-people. And these pizza-people poop ice cream. And when they fart, they fart perfectly to the tune of the theme song to "Love Boat". The pizza-people are farmers, and their main crop is boxes of Cheerios. They also harvest HDTV's, but those are much more difficult to grow.

See, I was with you until you said 'they fart perfectly to the tune of the theme song to 'Love Boat.'"

Now *that*...that's just ludicrous. The rest I can deal with.

Did I say something wrong Wombat? That grumpy seems to say so. I'm basically agreeing with you, the pizza planet is very unlikely but it's possible with all the massive ammounts of form it may take place.
Oh, I know, I was just facetiously being angry at you saying "the universe is practically infinite" because that bugs the lay cosmologist in me.

*Applauds*

The only thing that bothers me is that just because something has such a slim chance of happening doesn't mean it won't. No Cracker, random does not equal infinite...it means fucking random, which means it has no specific pattern. That's not infinite at all like you seem too believe.

There could be planets like there under our same conditions just not exactly the same, but similar enough. Maybe there are moss people who are bipedal and have a head. That is humanoid. It's not like we are saying that there is human clones out there.

And of course let's disregard all those documentaries because they are obviously money making schemes................nice way to try too win an arguement. By calling some of our learning is actually worth bullshit when you have no way to prove it. Very mature.

I'm not claiming to be an expert on any topic of science, but we aren't all the idiots you think we are.

In a broad sense, you're right -- "random" is not synonymous with "infinite". And if I made it appear as if they are one and the same, then that was a mistake on my part.

However, on the subject of evolution, these two terms are definitely connected, in an important way. With every new genetic mutation, the possibilities are infinite. Every genetic mutation is unique. Seriously. Every single one of them. That's a lot of unique mutations. And yet, somehow, we don't run out. New ones just keep popping up out of nowhere. That's what I mean when I talk about infinite possibilities.

And when I say random, I'm talking about how genetic mutations do not show any evidence of being guided by some magical force of nature. The types and forms of mutations that arise are, in this respect, random, by the most strict definition of the word.

So, what I really should have said is that the possibilities for genetic mutation are infinitely random. You were right to point out my misuse of the word random. Does my clarification make more sense to you? Because my main point is still the same.

No, I don't think you're idiots. I don't think I ever said anything to that effect. Pointing out the fact that we don't share the same education is not tantamount to calling you an idiot.

My apologies CF it's just a vibe that seems to come from your words. No offense.

Wombat: Well I saw practically because well I don't have a positive opinion, I'd like to think infinite but then it seems belittling and isn't practical to comprehend.

Just out of fun and curiousity...

If evolution and mutation are totally random and infinite, would it be possible for us to some day evolve into HDTVs?

Wait, that didn't work...it has to be biological right?

OK, how about evolving into Lima Beans? That's totally possible right? Not likely, but possible?

Last edited:
Back