Am I The Only One Who Doesn't Like "Avatar"?

Many people make a distinction between the origin of life and the evolution of life. In this view, biological evolution refers to the gradual development of the diversity of living things from a common ancestor, while the ultimate origin of life is a separate question.

This is a legitimate point, but evolution is about much more than just biology. The evolutionary worldview is that all of physical existence, both living and non-living, arose through purely natural processes. With this broad definition of evolution, abiogenesis--the spontaneous appearance of life from non-living matter--is a necessity. If life did arise on earth by itself, it would be inconceivable that this is the only planet upon which there is life. Otherwise, the earth would be a remarkably special place, and that could easily lead to theistic ideas. Consequently, most evolutionists believe that life must exist elsewhere in the universe.

Faulkner, D. 2009. Can Life Exist on Other Planets? Acts & Facts. 38 (10): 18-19.

That was written by a man with a PhD, though we decided that degrees do matter, this one makes perfect sense.

That argument is perfectly reasonable. Except, he didn't say anything about what that life will look like, on other planets. Find me a PhD, in any biological science, that thinks humanoids exist on other planets. Show me his or her arguments.

Just out of fun and curiousity...

If evolution and mutation are totally random and infinite, would it be possible for us to some day evolve into HDTVs?

Um...I guess an Organic BioMetallic one. But then we would have to look into mirrors to watch ourselves.

That argument is perfectly reasonable. Except, he didn't say anything about what that life will look like, on other planets. Find me a PhD, in any biological science, that thinks humanoids exist on other planets. Show me his or her arguments.

I see your point. But I don't think being bipedal and atleast a lesser humanoid build would be unreasonable.

I see your point. But I don't think being bipedal and atleast a lesser humanoid build would be unreasonable.

Mutation doesn't follow a set of rules, it's totally random.

It's probably more likely that these 'aliens' would be asymmetrical, use one pogo stick extension for locomotion, consume out of the same orifice they excrete from, communicate through touch alone, visualize the world through a crude 'eye-ball' which has a lid that's always shut, and smell through sensors in their stomachs.

Now that's intelligent design!

DISCLAIMER: Yep, this is just a fun, but hard debate.... No personal attack is intended.

CrackerFunk,

1. If it was just your opinion based on reading everyone would be fine with it. But you're laying down the law as an absolute fact based on (ZOMG) a full 4 years of study and a few back issues of Scientific American. The first (opinion) is absolutely fine, the second (absolute fact) is intellectual senility. All most of us are trying to do is get you to concede you are stating opinions, not facts.

2. What we've got here is a rant about the consensus of mainstream modern science, backed with monumental levels of academic conceit. A guy who can speak for the entirety of creation based on a four year degree. Your opinions are just as worthy as anyone elses, your false confidence (in this debate) is eye popping.

3 Consider the greater context of history. How many once popular theories have now crumbled to dust?

4. What you've got is deductive arguments based on consensus, nothing more. But you back it up with a whole lot of chest beating, and finger wagging. You'd easily be able to face a lot of people down in a RL situation, plenty of people pull these tricks hundreds of times, but on the internet it's easy to keep a cool head and see what's going on.

5. In order to make black and white statements you need TOPOLOGICAL DATA FROM PROBES ON THOUSANDS IF NOT MILLIONS OF PLANETS. We don't have that. You need raw data and you have nothing.

6. We need to clarify the difference between a deductive argument and a fact so we're all on the same page. CFunk, do you think your statements are deductive arguments or facts?

1. Okay, okay, I'm sorry I have such a strong opinion. No, it is of course not fact. But that doesn't mean I can't feel VERY VERY strongly about my opinion. And no, most of you are not just trying to convince me that my opinions are opinions. Most of you are trying to convice me that my opinions are wrong. Furthermore, most of you also feel VERY VERY strongly about your opinions, so far as I can tell.

2. I'm not sure which of my assertions you're referring to, so I can't really respond. Some of my assertions are definitely concesus in the scientific community; some of my assertions are my own conclusions. I don't know which you're referring to.

3. That's everyone's favorite argument to discount science. Total cop-out, on your part. Just because scientific consensus can change in the future, that doesn't mean we should ignore the best of what science has to offer us now. And, some theories are stronger than others. Darwinian evolution is pretty damn solid.

4. Guilty. I've definitely done some "chest-beating". Honestly, I think it's fun. Since you're offended by it, I'll stop. Please accept my sincerest apologies. Nevertheless, I think if you look back on this thread, I think it's perfectly fair to say that I've offered a great deal of logical arguments, backed up with a very solid understanding of the subject which I am debating. I do not agree with you that I'm simply using the fact that I have a B.A. as my main argument. I don't agree to that at all. On the contrary, I think I've offered more reasonable arguments than anyone else, combined. But hey, that's just my opinion.

5. No you don't. Science is all about making generalizations, based on observation. Our existence on Earth has provided plenty of material to make some very strong generalizations about the process of evolution. If DNA exists on another planet, it will behave the same as it does here. And if it doesn't behave the same way, it's not DNA.

6. My statements are deductive argument, based on facts. Zing!

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=324134

List of Improper Debating Tactics, AVOID THESE.

- Argument from Authority. This is the fallacy that states: If an authority says something, it is obviously true, and it does not need to be evaluated on it's merits. e.g. (Re-elect nixon because he has a secret plan to end the war in SE Asia.) Since there is no way to evaluate this plan, there is no way to debate this. Additionally, "because Einstein said it, and he's an expert, it must be true."

** CF, most of your arguments are variants on the above...

Not really. Take out the part about how I have a degree in anthropology, and my very valid arguments remain the same. In fact, I think my claims on "authority" have taken up maybe 5% of the volume of my posts.

6. We need to clarify the difference between a deductive argument and a fact so we're all on the same page. CFunk, do you think your statements are deductive arguments or facts?

All we're trying to do here is get you to admit your stating opinions based on your research not absolute facts based on data. The truth is you have NO data about life on other planets, but continue to act as if you do backed by a lot of low grade debating tactics.

Chest beating, not data on life forms on other planets.

Condescending, not data, facts or any hard science.

Chest beating, condescending.

Deductive argument. No data, no facts.

No data, no facts, no topological data on other planets. Intellectual muscle flexing, nothing more. NO FACTS.

Mathematical rant based on modern scientific reasoning. No facts, no data. Nothing at all.

Chest beating. Brow beating. Ridicule. You need topological data from probes on hundreds of millions of planets in order to back up your assertion. You don't provide this.

Is this an opinion? Or do you have data from probes to back this up?

Nice, could you please forward your first 1,000,000 probe results for the first million planets? Or admit this is an opinion.

O RLY? Is this an opinion or do you have an extra-terrestrial physics book, full knowledge of other dimensions and multi-frequency readings of the electo-magnetic spectrum in say, 100 of the closest galaxies?

Chest beating + condescending/finger wagging.

Hahahah total nonsense, Google it. Plenty of Phd's and respected scientists against it.

Rubbish. There is plenty of disagreement and Gore's position loses traction by the day. If you're as ill informed on the global warming debate as you are on exo-biology then Lord help us all.

Chest beating, condescending. Expert is a VERY subjective term. 100 years ago medical experts were prescribing leeches. Flat Earth 500 years ago.

That's all for now. All opinions presented in the spirit of geek fun.

Whoah. I don't know how to respond to that. You very clearly dismissed a very logical, well-laid out argument, by calling it "chest-beating". You glanced over many paragraphs, in which there was nothing even remotely resembling "chest-beating", but were filled with a plethora of very relavent information.

And dude, you watch too much Fox News. How's that for chest-beating?

PF, you rock man. I would have done the same had I had the patience. But I have a limit to how long I can debate with individuals who 'know it all.'

Cracker doesn't even have a Phd, yet he argues like he's an extra-terrestrial expert (meaning an expert from another world) with full knowledge of the cosmos.

He also hurts my feelings, and insults NOVA. :(

Cheers.

Sorry.

I feel like that kid who accidentally poked his classmate's eye out with a pencil. It's all fun and games, until someone gets hurt.

I like CF's posts on other threads. So it's no big deal.

I'm done here too. I don't think any of my photon logic torpedos will have got anywhere near the exhaust port, probably just impacted on the surface.

Lest you forget, I fart to the tune of "Love Boat", thereby creating an impenitrable wall of defense against your photon logic torpedos. I see you employ the same defense mechanism, as my photon logic torpedos have not made any significant impact on you, either.

Also, same to you about liking your posts on other threads.

Group hug!

ROC made an argument in favor of intelligent design. Intelligent design is very non-scientific, and diametrically opposed to Darwinian evolution. It is religious philosophy, nothing more. I can safely say that ALL OF SCIENCE has settled on rejecting the thinly-veiled theistic arguments behind intelligent design.

Quote me when I wrote this, doogie.

Because "the universe is finite" and "genetic mutations are infinite" are contradictory statements?

No they're not. I've already addressed this a few posts ago.

... um, the whole point is that your facetiousness was unnecessary, given that your underlying point was founded on shaky premises.

I guess that's where we disagree. I don't think anything I've said is shaky, at all. And, I'm pretty damned sure that "San Diego" is Welsch for "whales vagina". Agree to disagree.

Because it's relatively easy to argue that if the Drake equation is 'valid' then the same can be true of humanoid aliens?

No, that's false logic. One is not connected to the other. It's like saying that if the Drake equation is 'valid', then it's perfectly reasonable to think that there could be a planet of ice-cream-pooping-pizza-people.

Fail to see how that translates into "infinity".

Well, the "infinite" part comes from observation. Here on Earth, we've witnessed a never-ending supply of unique genetic mutations. "Infinitely random" would have been a better choice of words, on my part.

Well, I'd call your position a strawman, seeing as that's not what I'm doing at all. Mostly I'm suggesting we don't have enough information to decide one way or the other, because there's way too much we don't know yet. Obviously, it very well could be that there are no humanoid aliens at all, just as there could no other life (intelligent or otherwise) in the universe.

You think something is possible. I think the same thing is not reasonably possible. You've stated why you think it's possible. I've stated why I think it's not. Neither one of us is using any Straw Man tactics.

Because finding a common definition for "humanoid" (which is what started the conversation, and what I attempted to delineate, not hominid) totally isn't relevant to the conversation. So, yet another cute strawman.

You've entered into a debate on evolution armed without any meaningful knowledge of evolution. Your blatant misuse of the word "hominid" is a glaring red flag to me.

PS - It's because you're being kind of a douche, and think your education gives you some kind of leverage, instead of simply equipping you with information. Stop it.

I resemble that comment. I've always fashioned myself as more of a turd sandwhich.

Your honor, let the record show that one, and only one person has resorted to name-calling.

My education doesn't give me leverage. It gives me knowledge. And I've tried my best to impart some of that knowledge. And I feel like I've offered a great deal of valid points. Yet, for some reason, it falls on deaf ears.

I would like to see evidence that proves alien lifeforms can't be like us if they have a different data system than DNA.

DNA doesn't contain any data.

However, I guess your right. I can't prove that the Na'vi can't possibly exist. Neither can you prove that the ice-cream-pooping-pizza-people can't possible exist. Therefore, they totally exist!

Actually, it's pretty obvious he's talking about macro, 'real world' success, as opposed to genetic success.

And are you implying that our sapience didn't come from evolution?

I don't know what "real world" success is. We're talking about evolution. The only kind of "success" of any relavence is genetic success. The fact that you can think and feel doesn't make your genes any more successful than those of an ant.

Of course, everything about us is a result of evolution. What's your point?

There really isn't much dissent, actually, and I'm pretty sure it's overwhelmingly likely humans are affecting the Earth's environment for us negatively. Course, this is a different debate in a different thread on a different forum, so meh.

Oh. My. God.

Me and Wombat agree on something! See, we're not so different, you and I. High five!

Just out of fun and curiousity...

If evolution and mutation are totally random and infinite, would it be possible for us to some day evolve into HDTVs?

Wait, that didn't work...it has to be biological right?

OK, how about evolving into Lima Beans? That's totally possible right? Not likely, but possible?

Haha. Totally possible. That is, if you use the logic so prevalent on this thread. :hmm:

Sorry.

I feel like that kid who accidentally poked his classmate's eye out with a pencil. It's all fun and games, until someone gets hurt.

I'm totally kidding. You didn't poke out my eye. I haven't evolved those yet.

No really though. I'm just having fun. No hard feelings at all. Just stop regurgitating your degree, and we are all good. :) I mean...*maybe* if it was a PHd or two...but a BS? They practically give those out like Whole Food's samples.

;)

Mutation doesn't follow a set of rules, it's totally random.

It's probably more likely that these 'aliens' would be asymmetrical, use one pogo stick extension for locomotion, consume out of the same orifice they excrete from, communicate through touch alone, visualize the world through a crude 'eye-ball' which has a lid that's always shut, and smell through sensors in their stomachs.

Now that's intelligent design!

Sarcasm is anger's ugly cousin.

Just kidding! My first language is sarcasm. Finally, we speak the same language.

Your assumptions are valid, on the surface. But what they lack is any sense of imagination. There's no reason to believe that our biology is the only type that can exist.

Do you think that every species on Earth evolved eyes independently from each other? We all have eyes because we all evolved from the same common ancestor. That doesn't mean that every species of life, all over the universe, is going to have anything remotely resembling an eye. You're jumping to conclusions without any reason to do so.

Quote me when I wrote this, doogie.

First of all, don't be disrespect the Doogie. That kid doctor is a hero of mine.

As to the quote you've asked for --

I like to maintain that to say Man just happened to evolve from amonia is like saying a tree fell over one day and happened by chance to split apart and accidentally form a Ducati motorcycle.

Perhaps it wasn't your intent, but you definitely made an argument in support of intelligent design, and that's what I was reacting to.

I don't know if I'm the only one feeling this but...everyone here and not just certain people in this debate seem to be brewing some passive aggresiveness. So let's all agree none of us are right until life is found and go on with our cinema loving ways.

Oh - I just wrote that I think it's highly unlikely that one day something tipped over and created life. I think the answer to life must be figured out from tangible evidence etc., with superstition and mysticism etc. laid aside.

So, Cracker, how did life start on this planet?

Ammonia? Mud? A spark of static electricity in the ocean?

Last edited:
No they're not. I've already addressed this a few posts ago.
Where? I don't feel like trawling through your thousand+ posts in this thread. I am very interested in how you derive infinity from a finite source, though...

I guess that's where we disagree. I don't think anything I've said is shaky, at all. And, I'm pretty damned sure that "San Diego" is Welsch for "whales vagina". Agree to disagree.
Meh.

No, that's false logic. One is not connected to the other. It's like saying that if the Drake equation is 'valid', then it's perfectly reasonable to think that there could be a planet of ice-cream-pooping-pizza-people.
No, because that's a very, very specific subset of circumstances. "Humanoid" is broad an encompassing, like the other "factors" in the equation, but I guess a fundamental part of your argument is that humanoid isn't broad. So, again, meh.

Well, the "infinite" part comes from observation. Here on Earth, we've witnessed a never-ending supply of unique genetic mutations. "Infinitely random" would have been a better choice of words, on my part.
Hardly never ending. Why do you keep conflating "infinite" and "abstractly large"?

You think something is possible. I think the same thing is not reasonably possible. You've stated why you think it's possible. I've stated why I think it's not. Neither one of us is using any Straw Man tactics.
Um, do you know what a strawman is? A strawman is when you misrepresent someone's position, then argue against that position. You have done that.

A lot.

You've entered into a debate on evolution armed without any meaningful knowledge of evolution. Your blatant misuse of the word "hominid" is a glaring red flag to me.
Learn to read. I've been using humanoid primarily, and the only time I used hominid was at 4 in the goddamn morning after a long day. But please, do continue to ad hom instead of, you know, agreeing whether or not we're using the same definition, which might actually be productive.

Your honor, let the record show that one, and only one person has resorted to name-calling.
Calls em like I sees em. Sorry. Maybe you should try being less douchey and more conversational.

My education doesn't give me leverage. It gives me knowledge. And I've tried my best to impart some of that knowledge. And I feel like I've offered a great deal of valid points. Yet, for some reason, it falls on deaf ears.
Then try less appeals to authority.

DNA doesn't contain any data.
Um.

However, I guess your right. I can't prove that the Na'vi can't possibly exist. Neither can you prove that the ice-cream-pooping-pizza-people can't possible exist. Therefore, they totally exist!
Oh look, sarcasm instead of a considered response, it's like I'm in high school all over again.

I don't know what "real world" success is. We're talking about evolution. The only kind of "success" of any relavence is genetic success. The fact that you can think and feel doesn't make your genes any more successful than those of an ant.

Of course, everything about us is a result of evolution. What's your point?
So you don't think the ability to self-evolve is successful?

Me and Wombat agree on something! See, we're not so different, you and I. High five!
No, we're pretty different.

Your assumptions are valid, on the surface. But what they lack is any sense of imagination. There's no reason to believe that our biology is the only type that can exist.

Do you think that every species on Earth evolved eyes independently from each other? We all have eyes because we all evolved from the same common ancestor. That doesn't mean that every species of life, all over the universe, is going to have anything remotely resembling an eye. You're jumping to conclusions without any reason to do so.

I never said our biology is the only type. My point is that the Universe (and evolution) works with this reality. That certain things work well for certain things. I know you don't need an 'eye' to see...but 'seeing' is a big portion of how a biological creature survives (however they do it). You don't need to have literal 'vision' as in an eye...but biological creatures *will* have senses...however they are developed.

And I know all the creatures on Earth share similar ideas for senses (due to origins)...but why are you so against the Universe using the same methods elsewhere? There is absolutely *no* evidence that another planet *wouldn't* use similar sensory organs. I don't care *how* random and infinite mutations are.

I respect your intelligence (not so much your attitude, no offense), but I don't understand how you can so confidently state that nothing in the Universe would resemble a single living thing here on Earth. That's crazy talk...lol.

I respect your intelligence (not so much your attitude, no offense), but I don't understand how you can so confidently state that nothing in the Universe would resemble a single living thing here on Earth. That's crazy talk...lol.
To be fair, he did say that simple organisms like bacteria are probably common, but yeah, pretty much.

Back